Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Le Regent on Rue Dauphine, in Paris

Old May 25th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, there are alot of fans of Hotel Le Regent so I want to ask just how busy is rue Dauphine at night?

All the larger rooms face the street and I read it's quite a busy street. Is it bothersome to sleep although there are doublepane windows? I've walked past the hotel around mid-morning once and the street was quiet then.
Old May 25th, 2004, 11:20 AM

HI
I've stayed just down a step or two at the d'Aubusson, and faced the street.
Rue Dauphine is not terribly wide, but it is an access road for Pont Neuf, and we heard some traffic noise on weekday mornings (not on weekends.) It wasn't a roar of traffic, the street isn't big enough for that, but some horns at times. We were early risers so we didn't mind, but some might prefer facing the back.
Old May 25th, 2004, 11:24 AM

Francophile03- Yes, the street is busy in the evening but it quietens down after 11 or so- Of couse I was always out until 11 or later so the noise didn't keep me awake. The location is fabulous! remember you must walk up one flight of stairs to get to the elevator.
Old May 25th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Elaine and KennyL for your advice-I appreciate it. I do seem undecided and I am because I'm checking quite a few hotels for quotes for my dates. I got lower quotes from Villa d'Estrees and Rives de Notre Dame in comparison with Le Regent. But I think I prefer staying in relatively uncrowded St. Germain than the busy Latin Qtr. At least Le Regent's position is so good that I can walk over to the Latin Qtr. in no time if I chose to. Unfortunately all the tiny rooms face the back and have views of Notre Dame according to Le Regent!
Old May 25th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

KennyL thanks also for the warning about their elevator being one flight up the stairs. It'll prepare me and won't be a complete surprise like it was when I got to Le Verneuil-same situation with the elevator being up a flight of stairs. Not good when one is already tired and there is no one to help with baggage!
Old May 25th, 2004, 04:34 PM

Hello francophile03, we stayed at the Le Regent 2 years ago in an upper floor superior room facing Rue Dauphine. It is a busy street but it was not too noisy at night if you keep the windows closed. We were there for Bastille Day, a few days before and after, so it was a bit noisier with people celebrating in the streets. Truthfully, we were so tired at night that the noise did not bother us at all. Also, we like to leave a window open a little even with AC on so that's probably why we did hear people talking, singing and arguing! Very early in the morning we were awakened once or twice by trucks stopped in the street for a delivery, street cleaning, or rubbish pick up. It was not a big problem for us though.

Old May 25th, 2004, 04:36 PM

Have a great trip!
Old May 25th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Original Poster

Hi Marianna, thanks for your comments too. Good thing it'll be wintertime so I doubt I'd open the window. I'm rethinking the elevator situation though.
Old May 25th, 2004, 11:19 PM

I've stayed there a number of times, always in the summer so always with windows closed and air conditioning on, but have never been bothered by the noise from the street as they are also all double windows.
About that one flight up deal, as I recall, it is only a few steps (six or seven comes to mind) up to the elevator, not a full flight.
Old May 26th, 2004, 05:21 AM

Hi Patrick - nope, it's a full flight - you can see it on their website -

http://www.pariserve.tm.fr/hotel/regent/

I know because I held my breath for every step when I was there with my 86 year old mother-in-law!

What are your travel plans for this summer?