Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel le Regent: how bad would it be w/o an elevator?

Sep 25th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

I've not given up on my solo trip to Paris in early Dec. and thought it would be nice to stay at Le Regent at the reduced price, due to elevator being out of commission. Could this be 5-6 flights of stairs? That would not be good!
I wrote them late Fri., and expect I'll hear back tomorrow but just wondered what some of Le Regent regulars would think of staying there w/o an elevator? Merci for any advice or opinions!
Sep 25th, 2005, 07:56 AM

Hi grandmere. I stayed on the second floor and never used the elevator. It wasn't bad at all. I guess it depends on your physical condition how many flights of stairs you could climb. I never went above the second floor.

If there is a medical reason you do not want to climb too many stairs, perhaps they will accomodate you and guarantee a lower floor. I can suggest room 22!
Sep 25th, 2005, 07:58 AM

I believe Grandmere stayed at Hotel du Lys which has no elevator. Maybe walking up and down the stairs isn't the problem. What about if there is luggage? Does the staff help with it?
Sep 25th, 2005, 08:01 AM

When I was there in August, a housekeeper carried my luggage up the stairs and Elias, a front desk employee, carried it down. They are very accomodating.
Sep 25th, 2005, 08:09 AM

Thanks iregeo, this is good to know. The Hotel Verneuil's elevator is up a flight of stairs from the reception room. I guess if you need help carrying your luggage up and down the steps you can ask the receptionist and someone can help you. Otherwise, no offer is made.
Sep 25th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I have walked up the old winding staircase of the du Lys many times, probably 3-4 flights; and that would be about as many as I'd want to climb! Just hoping that Le Regent isn't a super skinny bldg. with 5 or more floors. I believe the website does say there is a porter to help with luggage. If they have a room for me, I think I'll just do it!
Thank, all!
Sep 25th, 2005, 11:30 AM

I have often stayed in places without an elevator. This year we had 4 flights of stairs up to our room in Positano. If you are reasonably healthy, I don't think it a few flights of stairs are a problem. The only time it was a problem for me was a few years ago before I learned to "pack light" and I spent a very unpleased half hour lugging my huge suitcase up narrow flights of stairs in a heat wave.
Sep 25th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

I have often stayed in places w/o elevators, too, including Positano, where I know we walked at least the equivalent of 4 flights to get to the reception area of the Villa Rosa. I was wondering specificially about Le Regent.
Sep 25th, 2005, 04:54 PM

I think this topic came up some time last year when a Fodorite had seen a notice of a reduced rate at Le Regent, owing to future work being done on the elevator (or was it due to painting?) Then I think I read that they had delayed the project, so perhaps it's on again. You might want to contact them directly (e-mail or fax) just to ensure that the work on the elevator is really being done in early Dec.

We have stayed there a few times; it is a winding staircase up to the next floor above. I know one of the evening attendants there pretty well now; I would imagine that if you let them know that you needed the help that you would certainly get it, as Iregeo did. Asking for a room on the closest floor makes sense too!

Sep 25th, 2005, 06:56 PM

That previous post was from someone who got a great discount because of the elevator work, but when she got there the work had been delayed. They still gave her the discount. If they're giving you a really good price, it would help make the climb worth it. And I'm sure they will take the luggage up and down the stairs for you. We've stayed on something like the 4th and the 5th floors and often took the stairs down rather than ringing for and waiting for the elevators. We rarely took the stairs UP, but easily could.