Hotel Langlois or Hotel St Jacques

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a dilemma. Like I stated earlier, I booked with Hotel St Jacques, but I can cancel this booking today without penalty. In the meantime, I received a confirmation from Hotel Langlois. I'm not sure what to do. They cost about the same, but the districts are different. Any help..please!
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 02:53 AM

You will no doubt be advised to stay at St. Jacques since it is on the left bank where tout de monde stays.
However, I found the Langlois quite
friendly, accomodating (I received an e-mail thru them while there that
was important) and my room (esp. for a single) w/frig was exceedingly large by Paris standards. The metro was 1/2 block away along w/2 cafes...so it depends on which 'scene' you wish to stay.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Rhea. I'm actually leaning towards the Langlois...all the reviews are favourable, and people comment on the friendly staff, which is also important.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 03:10 AM
ira

Hi D,

Under 35 - St Jacques
Over 45 - Langlois

Enjoy your visit

Old Mar 20th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Interesting Ira...so it's Langlois then...if only all decisions were so easy.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 05:20 AM

I would prefer the Langlois, definitely. The area is less touristy and to me more interesting, there's a real neighbourhood feel to Saint-Georges. I'm staying not that far away from this hotel in a few weeks, at the France Albion.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 10:01 AM

I haven't stayed at the St Jacques, so can't say on that point. I liked the Langlois a lot, as I've said. I am confused about your other post as to how you have two reservations, though -- as you said the St Jacques had no vacancies. I guess you are saying that you did the automated reservation at the Langlois, perhaps.

Re your other question -- I don't do automated reservations hardly, and have no experience with them at the Langlois so I can't say whether I've had problems. I have done a couple when it was the only way they wanted reservations (eg, wouldn't even list an email) or that gave you a discount. No, I have never had a problem doing it, but I just prefer not to as I prefer to write directly and ask some questions in my emails and find out the full story. I usually have some questions to ask about the rooms.

I would always follow-up an automated reservation with an email, if possible, to make sure it was recorded correctly, though. I wait a day or two before doing that.

Both will probably be fine, but I prefer the location of the Langlois (I am def. over 35, but I don't think that's the reason).
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 10:04 AM

I just saw your other post claiming you make a nonrefundable one-night prepayment at the St Jacques. I wouldn't ever do that myself, and would def. not cancel and pay that.

But now you say you don't have to pay it, so I would prefer the Langlois. I think hoteliers don't like it when guests book and cancel for no reason a lot, it makes their business more difficult. At least it's immediate.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Original Poster

Yes, my posts are contradictory. I had first checked the Langlois, but my request was denied, because apparantly I had requested one room for 3 people, and they don't have that sort of accomodation. Then I checked out St Jacques, they had a vacancy, so I booked it, making a 'downpayment' of sorts to hold the room. When I made my booking at St Jacques, I realized the mistake I made at Langlois, and retried with the correct information - 3 people, 2 rooms. This time my reservation was accepted. I was able to cancel the booking at St Jacques immediately, though, with no penalty.

It's all been so crazy, I know, but I just wanted to get the best possible for the amt we can spend, and my heart was set on Langlois, after much searching, reading, and recommendations. I have been in contact with them via email, as you suggested, and no problems; all is set.

Thanks so much for your help and suggestions. This forum has been a real find, and I'll recommend it to anyone who plans on travelling anywhere!