Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Lancelot - 1st floor terrace room (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-lancelot-1st-floor-terrace-room-546594/)

sharon1982 Jul 25th, 2005 04:39 AM

Hotel Lancelot - 1st floor terrace room

Hi

I posted a few months ago on this subject but thought I would post again and see if anyone else responded....

I have booked a first floor terrace room at the Hotel Lancelot for September. However, I am getting a little worried as although they have great reviews on trip adivsor, the few negative reviews tend to be regarding the first floor terrace rooms! Has anyone stayed in one of those rooms - were they ok? This is my first trip to Rome and I have wanted to go for years, so I want this to be special!

Thanks.

faredolce Jul 25th, 2005 04:56 AM

Hello,
I read the reviews you spoke of on TripAdvisor about the Hotel Lancelot.

First of all, is it too late for you to contact the hotel and arrange for a different room, off the courtyard? If it worries you that much, it may be worth the peace of mind to just make a change and move on with mounting excitement about your first trip to Rome.

The second point I want to make is that sometimes you have to take some reviews with a grain of salt. Overall, the hotel has had solid, very positive reviews. Taken as a whole, there is only one that I saw that mentions an issue with the courtyard.

I have stayed at hotels in Italy and in the U.S. that were a very mixed bag of reviews and found that my experience was sometimes the exact opposite of the negative reviews. It all winds up being relative, each person has a different set of criteria and tolerance for annoyances.

The hotel looks lovely from the photos, I am sure you are going to have a great trip. Rome will be fabulous, no matter what; even if your courtyard room is not perfect, just try and enjoy all the wonderful things about a stay in that magnificent city.

Good luck!

susanna Jul 25th, 2005 05:51 AM

I have stayed at this hotel many times so I hope that I can ease your anxiety. I have not stayed in the first floor rooms with the terrace BUT I did look at them when they were being remodeled and they were lovely, nice big terrace to sit out on. I can't find the negative reviews on TA but I can't imagine why these rooms would pose a problem. The street that the hotel is on is relatively quiet for Rome, the only courtyard that I can think of is the little courtyard leeding up to the hotel front door, which also is the parking lot if you have a rental, but it is small, holds about 6 cars and won't be noisy because most guests tend to just leave the car parked there and walk. People will walk through the courtyard to the reception area, but we are talking about 10-15 steps...how noisy can they be?
It's a nice 3* hotel, IMHO, a good location in a real neighborhood. I wouldn't hesitate to take the terrace rooms.

sharon1982 Jul 27th, 2005 05:51 AM

Thanks for the replies - I feel a bit better now!

sharkmom Jul 29th, 2005 11:07 AM

Susana,
Do you know anything about the internet connections in the rooms? Are they high speed or just a dial-up modem?

susanna Jul 31st, 2005 05:50 AM

Sorry, I don't, we don't travel with a laptop. This hotel was totally updated a few years back, they now have air conditioning and tv's in all the rooms so I would think that they would have put in high speed and not dial up, but I really don't know.