Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel La Perousse or Other Recommendations in Nice

May 18th, 2009, 11:20 PM
meo
Original Poster

My husband and I are travelling to France in early September and will be staying in Nice for 4 nights. I've read many Trip Advisor reviews for hotels in Nice, and I've read several posts here, in addition to looking at many hotel websites. One hotel that consistently gets great reviews is Hotel La Perousse. A superior sea view room would cost about $2100 for 4 nights, including breakfast and taxes. We would be willing to spend that amount if Fodorites who have stayed there feel it is a good value. We would also consider less expensive alternatives that would have sea views, great service, and nice rooms (not too tiny). In general, we would go for a deluxe room, not a standard room and not a suite. Additionally, a well-designed, boutique hotel with excellent service and a good location, but no sea view might be a consideration, if less expensive.

Thanks in advance for your help!
May 19th, 2009, 07:32 AM

hi meo!

i have booked the same hotel for 2 nights in mid-June!
hope it lives up to the price I am paying for, the most expensive rooms we paid for throughout our whole europe trip!

the rooms look lovely, and i booked it after reading a lot of reviews on TA. (but still concerned about how to get to the hotel, seems like only a taxi would do??? what about u? i would be arriving in Nice by TGV from Paris.)

hope some fodorites can give the thumbs up for it too!

May 19th, 2009, 07:39 AM
meo
Original Poster

I'll need to book our room soon, but I'd still love to hear what you thought of the hotel when you get back home. I had the same thought about the taxi, but sometimes it's nice to just be delivered to the hotel doorstep even if it costs more.
May 19th, 2009, 07:47 AM

yes i agree... esp after 10 days in London and Paris... think the shopping is going to put a bit more extra weight then when we started out
also, the hotel seems to be a bit uphill...
i booked my room at 336euro a night including taxes and continental breakfast. most expensive room we have ever stayed in period!

actually had wanted to book hotel negresco, but it was full by the time we finally decided on it....
May 19th, 2009, 08:37 AM

I stayed at La Perousse about 8 years ago--loved it. Prices have certainly gone up but that's the case everywhere. We had a sea view room which was dramatic--the hotel is at the eastern end--the beautiful view to the west included the sea and Nice.

It will not be a long or expensive taxi from the train station--peanuts compared to the hotel rates! You will be at the edge of the old town and able to walk everywhere, although we took buses up to the Matisse and Chagall museums, which would be quite a climb.

As Nice ended our Provence/Cote d'Azur trip, we turned in our rental car when we arrived. You can reach Cannes, Antibes, Monte Carlo, etc., by train and the hill towns (Vence, St. Paul de Vence, Grasse...) via a combination of train and bus.
May 19th, 2009, 11:09 AM

We stayed at Hotel Splendid in Nice last year.

http://www.splendid-nice.com/
May 19th, 2009, 11:12 AM

We've stayed at the La Pérouse several times but have decided that the good rooms (i.e., deluxe sea view) are just too expensive these days.

Once we found the Mercure Promenade des Anglais we've never looked back. The Mercure has good sea-view rooms that are of a decent size, with large modern bathrooms. The location is as good as that of the La Pérouse, perhaps better because of the short distance to the rue Masséna (lots of shops, restaurants, and cafés).
May 19th, 2009, 01:46 PM

I remember looking up Mercure... but don't remember why i didnt book it... probably just fell in love with La Perouse at first sight and nothing ever looked the same or came close (from the websites at least)
hope i get a decent room there, I did hear that some of the rooms and balconies are really tiny
keeping my fingers crossed...

13 days to my trip!!
May 19th, 2009, 02:14 PM
meo
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions of Mercure Promenade des Anglais and Hotel Splendid. I'll check those out - they seem to be in convenient locations and much less expensive than La Perouse.

I also appreciate the feedback from Cathinjoetown, and the info on transportation. We will mull over the pros and cons of the hotels. La Perouse looks like it has a beautiful and unusual setting, so we may very well swing for the higher priced superior sea view room.

3sica, have a great vacation!!
May 19th, 2009, 10:51 PM

yes meo!
will try to put up a report and photos when we are back... although u may have already booked!
May 21st, 2009, 09:58 AM

If you book the La Pérouse, ask about the room size for a superior room. Ours was so small that I had to crawl across the bed to get to the balcony side of the room when my husband was using his computer at the desk--no room between chair and bed.

The balcony, however, was nice, as was the large marble bathroom. All the rooms at the La Pérouse are different, and unless you have one in the deluxe category it's pretty much the luck of the draw.
May 21st, 2009, 11:27 AM
meo
Original Poster

Underhill, thanks for the tip. I'll check into it.
May 21st, 2009, 01:27 PM

We returned from France 1 1/2 weeks ago and our last stop was Nice where we stayed at Hotel La Perouse for 5 nights. Our room cost 475Euros a night with a large terrace. Our room was the room beside the huge rock wall and overlooking the pool and outdoor breakfast area. While we had a panoramic view of the Med. we could not however view the beach and promenade area due to the walls of the building. Even the rooftop terrace does not offer a clear view of the beach as the shrubbery surrounding this terrace obscures the view. Initially when we arrived I noticed the shower curtain did not extend around the bathtub area and I requested a larger replacement, this was replaced immediately. Also, the bath did not come with a shower but a hose. The rooms were very clean and the king size bed very comfortable. We drove a rental car for the trip and the valet parking is off site, so you need to call down 15 minutes before you require it for this reason.
We chose to have a light breakfast and coffee instead of their 21 Euro a head breakfast.
We met 2 ladies from Norway who were staying in a balcony room at the Suisse hotel..right next to La Perouse. They loved it and it was half the price of our room. They could not hear the noise from the traffic when their balcony doors were closed. I read that if you stay at the Suisse that the balcony rooms overlooking the Promenade and beach were the only ones worth staying in, if this helps. If we return we would probably stay at the Suisse or in Villefranche. There are more reasonable room choices, however for us, the location was perfect.
May 21st, 2009, 01:33 PM
meo
Original Poster

celticmoon, thank you for the detailed information. I will take a look at the Suisse as it sounds like it might be a good alternative. Were you by chance at La Perouse when they had the problem of falling rocks in the pool area? Do you happen to know if it is a problem that will likely be taken care of quickly? Apparently the pool is closed right now.
May 27th, 2009, 06:32 PM

Meo, sorry just checking back today and yes the pool was closed due to falling rock. It's hard to say how long it would take to secure the rock. Rapellers were working on it everyday while we were there.
Try emailing and enquiring. Hope this helps.
May 27th, 2009, 07:02 PM

I liked the walk from The Perouse to the flower market. My room was Very tiny but it was the least expensive room at the time. The one thing I enjoyed the most was the breakfast outside. I plucked several lemons from the tree there to take home. They tasted more like grapefruit.
May 27th, 2009, 08:05 PM

We stayed there a few years ago. I got a great rate on-line. I don't remember, but thinking around 180 euros? I know we paid a lot less than the people checking out in front of us. They even upgraded us to a nicer room.

It was a lovely hotel, but I wouldn't have paid much more than we paid for it if that makes sense. It is great, but not 400 + euro great. I'd hate to have someone arrive and be disappointed thinking they are getting the best hotel they've ever stayed in.

Plus the pool is the best part!
May 27th, 2009, 09:05 PM

Here's a recommendation for our hotel in Nice, from my trip notes dated May 2006. It does not have sea views, but is a good value; a very charming boutique hotel in a good location with good service:

"Our Hotel le Grimaldi (http://www.le-grimaldi.com/) was a short cab ride from the train station. It was 10EUR for myself, my daughter, my gargantuan bag, and her two small ones. We were greeted graciously at the hotel, which immediately struck us as a good find.

The hotel is actually two Belle Epoque buildings back-to-back. One side is much prettier to enter, as it faces a nice church. The other side is fine, too, but a bit boring. I think the side on rue Grimaldi is the plain one, and the other side on rue Maccarani is prettier.

The man at the front desk carried my bag to the room, and showed us around. There’s a business center on the ground floor, with free internet use on their two computers, and a free printer to use. (Also wireless in the lobby, I think for a fee.)

Our room was a ‘classic’, twin-bedded room, which was quite large, had a little balcony, a sparkling tile bath with fluffy bright yellow towels, and nice toiletries. It was 150EUR, plus tax and 10EUR per person if we opted for the hot/cold breakfast buffet. They suggested we check out the buffet (served till 10:30a.m.), and if we were interested the next morning, we could sign on for it. Their deal is that you have to buy it everyday to get the 10EUR rate. Otherwise, per day, it’s 15EUR.

So the next morning, we were happy to find hot eggs, proscuitto, yoghurts, cereals, cappuccino, assorted croissants, juices, etc. We thought it a good deal and quite convenient, so we enjoyed it each morning."
Jun 12th, 2009, 05:16 PM
meo
Original Poster

My apologies for not replying sooner!

Celticmoon, thanks for the info on the pool. I'll try contacting them via email - I'm thinking if they are working on the rocks right now, they would hopefully have it all taken care of by September.

Cigalechante, kelliebellie & PeaceOut, we are still searching for the best possible rate at La Perouse, and if we can get something reasonable for a superior sea view, I think we'll go for it. Hotel le Grimaldi is something i will definitely look into if we can't come up with a good rate at La Perouse. It sounds appealing and I appreciate the recommendation.

Thanks again for the info!
Jun 12th, 2009, 09:54 PM

We've stayed at La Perouse in wonderful view corner rooms three times over the years. It kept going way up in price, partly due to the euro going up, and we retired, so that was that. Would love to know how to get one of those good rooms at a discount.