Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel la Darse or Hotel Provencal - (Villefranche-sur-Mer)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 07:31 AM
D&S

Does anyone have any experience with either the Hotel La Darse or Hotel Provencal in Villefranche-sur-Mer? I have a choice between the two, but can't find much information other than what Rick Steeves says in his book.

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 10:00 AM
Ray

I have the same question. I will be there in June and am interested the very same two hotels.

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 11:15 AM
Jim

Both of these are 2 star hotels. Haven't been either one, but they have their webpages at: <BR>http://www.riviera.fr/hotels/prov.htm <BR> <BR>http://www.francehotelreservation.co...index_en.phtml

Old Feb 13th, 2000, 09:29 AM
Ralph

I think the Darse is on the water and the Provencal is back up a couple of streets. Not sure. Does anyone else know?

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 12:02 PM
D&S

Thanks to everyone who tried to help. We chose the la Darse, because they spoke English and were very pleasant.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 06:52 PM
Amy

I'm planning on being in Villefranche at the end of September and was hoping someone could answer this question. I've been thinking about staying at Hotel La Darse. Thanks.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 09:07 PM
D&S

Amy - <BR>We just returned from our trip. Enjoyed a two night stay at La Darse. It was very clean, and the room was large with a deck overlooking the Marina. Checked out the Provencal while we were there and had a wonderful lunch at their restaurant. The hotel looked very nice. The location of the Provencal is better if you are using the train or the bus. The La Darse is away from the main beach area, over by the Marina. The trip from the center of town down to the La Darse is very steep. If you have a car, that is not a problem. It wasn't bad going down with our rolling suitcases, but we hired a taxi to take us back up the hill to the bus stop. However, you can merely walk around the Citadelle to get to the main beach area. We booked the La Darse originally, because they answered our fax in English. The Provencal insisted on using French even when we asked them if they could possibly reply to us in English. It was hard to interpret exactly what they were offering. I guess we took the easy way out. We weren't sorry, however, as the La Darse was very adequate and perhaps a bit more quiet. Be prepared to climb some stairs, as there is no lift. Villafranche is a very pretty village. We were impressed with the location.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 09:29 PM
Amy

Thank you so much for your helpful comments. You've clenched it--we'll book a room with a view at Hotel La Darse. We'll have a car, so the walk shouldn't be a problem. Just one more question. Is the hotel near the beach? I'm not looking looking for a suntan--just a walk by the ocean. <BR>-Amy

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 06:52 AM
D&S

There is a small beach area just on the other side of the Marina. The main beach area is past the Citadelle and just beyond the cruise port. Not a long walk. Perhaps 15-20 minutes. Waterfront all the way. The main beach area is really great. Good sand and wide areas. There are good benches just above the beach for people watching. Enjoy!