Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel la Darse, Hotel la Flore or Hotel Welcome?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-la-darse-hotel-la-flore-or-hotel-welcome-76932/)

Amy Jun 21st, 2000 10:52 PM

Hotel la Darse, Hotel la Flore or Hotel Welcome??

I've decided to stay in Villefranche for 5 nights at the end of September, but can't decide on a hotel. I can either afford Hotel la Darse with a balcony and seaside view, or I can afford Hotel Welcome or Hotel la Flore without a view. I don't know which hotel to choose. I would appreciate responses from anyone who has stayed at any of these hotels.

Carol Jun 22nd, 2000 06:06 AM

I just got back from the Cote d'Azur and fell in love with Villefranche. I'd pick the Hotel Welcome for its wonderful location. It's right at the port and at the foot of the old town, just steps away from charming cafes. You have a magnificent view as soon as you step out the door. It's also on the same square as the Sunday flea market which you should try and be there for--it's great. I stopped in at the hotel and it looks really nice--modern and clean. I didn't see a room so I can't speak to the size. IMO, it's certainly the best-located hotel in Villefranche. Many fodorites have stayed there, do a site search on the "Hotel Welcome".

Mary Ann Jun 22nd, 2000 07:52 AM

We were in Ville Franche Sur Mer Last September and loved every minute of it. We stayed at Hotel la Flore and the view was fantastic. We had our own Terrace with Umbrella table (the bad news was the guys wanted to stay there all the time). We were two couples who chose the 2 bedrooms with the shared bath. Our terrace overlooked the harbor, lighthouse and Marina. Parking was free in the lot. The restaurant with breakfast (extra) overlooks the harbor, so does the swimming pool. The bus stop to Nice (about $1 for round trip air conditioned) was next door. A laundromat was about 3 blooks away the other side of the TI. The staff at La Flore was very helpful. The rooms, small as usual for France but nicely done and very clean. We would not hesitate to go back. The main difference between Welcome and Flore (from the outside) is that one is on the water and the other on the hill above the water. For us, with 2 couples, the cost was much less. The view just before sunset with the lights changing and the water colors was incredible. We only stayed 2 nights and wished we had stayed more.

Nancy Jun 27th, 2000 05:22 PM

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Welcome last Sept. Our first room was on the "5th" floor - all decked out like a cabin on a ship, but closed-in balcony so couldn't see water when sitting on it. Moved to wonderful room on forth floor - corner room with two balconies and grand views over town. Truly delightful. We had made our reservations in May and found that was not soon enough for best rooms, so it may be too late now. Staff very friendly, hotel in good location in this charming town. Don't know about the rooms without a view.

Ruth Jul 5th, 2000 10:07 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Welcome in May and I would not recommend it. Our room was small, shabby and the bathroom was ugly with about a 60-watt light. The mattress felt like a pillow. The only good thing was the balcony which had a fabulous view over the harbor. We started off on the wrong foot with them, as you can't drive to the door of the hotel and unload luggage--it's one flight up from the street and there was no one to help us with our bags. Also have to pay for parking in the lot across the street, which was not inexpensive, so figure that cost into your budget when deciding which hotel to stay at. Loved Villefranche but woouldn't recommend the Welcome.

Dick Jul 9th, 2000 10:03 AM

We stayed in Villefranche Sur Mer in May 2000. Much different from the previous poster we completely enjoyed our stay at the Welcome Hotel. The bathroom was a new modern bath with orange tile for the sink and tub. Room lighting and bed were comparable to any in the U.S. Location is the very best you can have the Quai Am Courbet on the water .After driving around Provence for 10 days the parking in Villefranche was not a problem because we turned the car in after one day and found the train and bus much easier. I requested a Forth Floor room with balcony on our reservation and that is exactly what we got. I would recommend it . We plan to go back again next year.