Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Krasnapolsky in Amsterdam (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-krasnapolsky-in-amsterdam-181002/)

Gina Aug 26th, 2001 05:40 AM

Hotel Krasnapolsky in Amsterdam

Expedia has a price for this hotel $123 per night in February. Should we take it? I could not find any posts regarding this hotel. Anyone stayed there? What do you think about location and price?

Al Aug 26th, 2001 06:32 AM

`Grab it. The Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky faces Amsterdam's Dam Square, one of the main gathering places in central Amsterdam. Excellent location, deluxe quarters.

Ellen Aug 26th, 2001 07:21 AM

Lodging in Amsterdam tends to be quite expensive. I stayed at this hotel and paid at least twice this rate you are quoted but it was in high season. I think it is a very good price but make sure it includes taxes as VAT added after that could inflate your bill quite a bit. <BR>Ellen

ger Aug 26th, 2001 07:45 AM

Great hotel, Gina - very "lux". Four years ago, I paid twice that to stay there!

Leslie Aug 26th, 2001 08:25 AM

A friend of mine stayed at the Hotel Krasnapolsky last year and was very disappointed. And she was on an expense account, so price did not matter. She said a more appropriate name for the hotel is the Hotel KRAPapolsky. Most hotels in Amsterdam are within walking distance of everything. I stayed at the Jolly Carlton, next to the flower market, which was an awesome hotel with a great buffet breakfast. It was about $80 per night in season for a double. The staff was very accommodating. My friend, actually said I stayed in a nicer hotel.

Gerard Aug 26th, 2001 09:27 AM

We stayed in this hotel two weeks ago and it is in an excellent locations. We loved it. Would stay again. We paid $300 per night. Just get it and have a great time

Larisa Aug 26th, 2001 11:31 AM

We stayed there 2 years ago, paid the same price which I have found as a great deal on travelnow.com. <BR>Location is superb - central to all main sights, the service was perfect. Would stay there again.

Virginia Aug 28th, 2001 04:16 PM

I have stayed there. That is a great price for what you will get, I paid much more for a room during a week when A'dam was sold out, more than $300, & I booked at the last minute. <BR> The location is central, but not beautiful. The hotel is a very up to date luxurious business traveller's kind of hotel, with marble on all surfaces where it can be put, plenty of fax machines, etc. <BR> I didn't like it though there is nothing wrong with it. I don't like the Damnrak/Dam Square area, it is not horrible but it is not serene, as many places in A'dam are. <BR> My own preferences, for what they are worth, are for the Ambassade or the Pulitzer, and then I have heard repeatedly that the Canal House is wonderful. (I have been to A'dam maybe six times, for what it's worth, my brother lived there for several years.) <BR> These hotels are on major canals and provide you more of an experience of the water-city that A'dam is. Krasnopolsky puts you more in touch with the bustling aspect. It is a small city so wherever you are you are near everything else, however.

Mika Aug 29th, 2001 04:03 AM

Be careful, the rooms differ a lot. If you don't like it, complain, they chane it. Is's well situated, but not a luxury hotel. There are better ones in Amsterdam. Definitely.

ger Oct 21st, 2001 08:31 AM

topping for fifer

Grandma Oct 21st, 2001 12:34 PM

Another vote for the Pulitzer.