Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Jagdhof v. Hotel Schloss Fuschl on Lake Fuschl? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-jagdhof-v-hotel-schloss-fuschl-on-lake-fuschl-424848/)

kikihack Apr 21st, 2004 03:07 PM

Hotel Jagdhof v. Hotel Schloss Fuschl on Lake Fuschl?

Has anyone stayed in either of these hotels? I was set on the Fuschl, but then I saw the site for the Jagdof and noticed it was renovated in 2002 and is about one third the rate of the Fuschl. Of course, we are willing to splurge if it is worth it-- any opinions?

molker Apr 27th, 2004 10:45 AM

I have stayed at both facilities. They are about 400 metres apart and each have good views of the lake and surroundings.
I would save my money for other things and stay at the Jagdhof.
Schloss Fuschl is a beautiful , small castle. It has much history as a noble hunting Lodge. Many rooms are not really part of the castle proper,but in a connecting and newer wing.
Austria has more impressive Schloss ( Castle) hotels.
The Jagdhof has been famous for good food for many years. Many non hotel guests visit the restaurants.
Formerly, it did not have many rooms.
Several years ago a massive new building was erected adjacent to the
Building I know as the Jadghof - with a connector.
I believe the " Jagdhof" rooms are more rustic but very nice.The new rooms more upscale.This is a Sheraton and I assume you could obtain more information on their website.
A few steps down to the Dining Room for a good buffet breakfast or dinner.
I have never had a bad meal there.I can not say the same about the Schloss.
I assume you stay here as part of a visit to Salzburg and the Lake District.
It is a good central location for this.

kikihack May 5th, 2004 01:30 PM

Thanks for the info, it is extremely helpful. Yes we are spending a couple of days there to relax and visit Salzburg from. I was unaware the hotels were that close to each other-- I thought the Jagdof was a bit further off the lake. The rates at the Jagdof were 100 euro, at the Schloss, $265 euro. I don't mind rustic rooms as long as they are tasteful-- did you find this to be the case? Also, what was the overall feel there? We are looking for a romantic ambience, not a typical Sheraton experience-- did you find this to be the case? We are leaving next week, so I hope you have checked this site by then!!

molker May 6th, 2004 10:31 AM

With that big difference in price, the Jagdhof is the better choice in my opinion.
Ask for a Jagdhof room facing the lake. Manny will have a small balcony.While not directly on the lake, the views of the lake and surroundings are still nice. It should not be too crowded yet if you stay weekdays.The rooms are nicely furnished in country style and very clean at the times we have been there.
You could always eat at the Schloss.
While each person looks at hotels in a different way, I have always found the Jagdhof to be very nice.
We originally would stop to enjoy the good food many years ago. ( only 10-15 rooms then on the floors above the restaurants.
A good buffet breakffast is served.
It is about 20 kilometers to Salzburg.
Also drive through the lake country. The hotel will probably have brochures to give you information on nearby places.
The new addition is not the typical " Sheraton style" but is tastefuly done.
I believe those rooms are much higher priced also.
I hope you enjoy it!

LoriS Jul 1st, 2007 05:55 PM

We stayed at Schloss Hotel Fuschl in April 2007. It has recently undergone an extensive renovation and is a spectacular hotel. The junior suite we received had a large living area in the bedroom and a balcony overlooking the lake. There was a separate dressing room with loads of built-in cabinetry and a large bathroom with separate powder room. All were connected by a long hallway.

The spa facilities are top flight and there are several restaurants on the property. My one disappointment would be the restaurants.

There's even a small museum on property as the movie Sissy was filmed at the Schloss. A great hotel which I'd happily return to.

kikihack Oct 11th, 2007 07:59 PM

An update to my prior post-- we ended up staying at the Schloss, which had positives and negatives. The spa was awful-- tiny and cramped, my massage was really poor. I ended up heading to the Jagdof to use their fantastic swimming pool. As for the food, the Schloss was amazing. In fact, I would say one of my best meals ever (and I live in NYC) was the magnificent lunch I had on the deck, overlooking the lake. Wow. The room was so so, nothing special, but it was fun and romantic to walk about the grounds at night. Worth it for a few nights for sure.

molker Oct 12th, 2007 05:52 AM

Prior poster - kikihack provides old and dated information.
The Schloss received a multi million euro renovation last year as mentioned by LoriS.
All facilities renovated and updated. The spa and pool area is most enjoyable , large and offers many options.
All rooms and suites were completely renewed and now offer excelent decoration and services.
Of course the view remains the same.
A very nice place but not inexpensive.