Hotel Italia Rome

Jun 19th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Hotel Italia Rome

Greetings!

I'm looking for a budget hotel (approx 120-130 Euros)for a double room with private bathroom for 2 nights. My husband may or may not be with me, so I want to be in an area that is pretty safe at night, although I won't be out after 11pm.

I'm considering the Hotel Italia on via Venezia #18. It's not right next to the train station, but about 10 blocks west of the station.

Would you consider this area safe for a woman alone at night?

Thanks!

Monica

Jun 19th, 2006, 06:51 AM

My daughter and I stayed at Hotel Italia 4 nights in June, 2005 and found the accomodations to be very satisfactory. We were in the hotel annex across the street; perhaps b/c I requested air-conditioning. The complimentary continental breakfast was quite adequate and both of us used their wireless laptop to check e-mail. Since the hotel is only a few buildings away from Via Nazionale we found the area not only convenient but also busy enough to feel safe. Much safer than had we been closer to the train station.
Jun 19th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information! How did you like being in the annex. I believe there were a couple of reviews on TA that stated not to stay in the annex.

Monica
Jun 19th, 2006, 07:12 AM

I stayed there a couple of years ago in the annex. It was very clean and not a big hassle to walk across the sreet for breakfast. Safe enough and close to the bus stop.
Jun 19th, 2006, 08:40 AM

At first, I thought it was going to be a hassle going to the desk for the key and then across the street to the room but it wasn't a big deal and the annex was very clean, quiet and the a/c worked great. That said, if you do end up traveling alone I'd request the main hotel--I wouldn't want to stay in the annex if I was by myself. Another hotel had some rooms on a different floor of the annex and I assume their guests had a separate key to unlock the exterior street level door like we did but it did seem as little less secure now that I reflect back. Whereas, at the main hotel, once the desk clerk "buzzed" us in we were only one flight of stairs down from the lobby and could be heard if we had a problem.
Jun 19th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll definitely stick to the main building.

Monica