First International Trip Alone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2016, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm traveling to Spain for 10 days to see Galicia, Barcelona and Madrid. Although I have some relatives in Galicia, I am starting to freak out about safety for a solo traveler (I'm 25). I've poured over countless forums related to the alarming amount of muggings that take place in Madrid and Barcelona. I am staying alone for all ten days and am fluent in Spanish. Any input/experiences are welcome...
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 11:13 AM

I don't know where you live, but virtually any city in Europe is safer than virtually any city in the US in terms of personal safety (muggings, etc).
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 11:17 AM

If you know there is a problem the problem is much negated - be leery of anyone coming up to you in those cities and walk away - yes those cities are perhaps the most dicey in Europe in street crime but the chances of being a victim are much less if prudent - I've been in those cities many times and never had a problem. You should not either - don't wear the family jewels or expensive watches and never carry anything in a day pack on your back that you can't risk losing.

Trains are the best way around for a solo traveler covering that much ground in so little time - Madrid to Barcelona at nearly 200 mph - for lots on Spanish trains check www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - all have lots of great info for planning the rail portion.
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 11:36 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I am much older than you and currently traveling solo in Italy. Just be careful of pickpockets In Barcelona metro or triangle stations along with other big cities.
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 12:09 PM

well, it isn't true that virtually any city in Europe is safer than any city in the US, how ridiculous. A lot of people on this board think Europe is nirvana and like Disneyland and nothing bad ever happens there. Do you have any idea what the serious crime rate is in Glasgow, Istanbul or Sofia, Bulgaria?

As to the OP, I've been to both Barcelona and Madrid and if you don't run around late at night in dicey areas, and are careful with your belongings (meaning don't leave them lying around on cafe tables, easily pickpocketed, etc.) and just to regular tourist things you will be fine. I've been to both cities numerous times and have never had a problem. I have mostly lived in big cities in the US, though, so some things are second nature to me.

I do know people that were pickpocketed in these cities, though, but they were being careless.
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 02:08 PM

I've traveled by myself a few times in Spain (including Madrid), and its been great. I think pick pocketing and petty theft are your biggest risks. Mugging implies some sort of confrontation, which isn't nearly as common. It seems that most petty thieves in Spain would rather than you not know you were robbed until later. Some easy precautions can help avoid theft though. Thieves want the easy mark.

Beyond that, just take normal precautions that you would in any city or place with which you are unfamiliar - pay attention to your surroundings, no dark alleys, don't over-imbibe, don't go home with anybody...

I spent some time in Galicia this summer while walking the Camino de Santiago - I loved that area. Its very beautiful and green, the people are really friendly and welcoming, the coastline is really nice.
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 06:59 PM
kja

I've spent a total of 7.5 weeks in Spain as a solo female traveler with absolutely no difficulties and no worries. Of course, I take normal precautions (like being mindful of my surroundings and making use of an under-clothing passport pouch). I actually feel safer alone, as my attention is never distracted by a companion.

You might find some reassurance in this thread with trip reports from solo travelers:
http://www.fodors.com/community/trav...collection.cfm

I trust that you realize that 10 days is very, very little time for the destinations you list. You might want to cut one of those three areas, focusing instead on just two.

Hope that helps!
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 01:33 PM

I just recently (May/June 2016) went to Spain. I am solo traveler and at no time did I feel unsafe in Madrid, Barcelona or Galicia. Research where you are staying. I stayed in hostels and hotels because for some reason I find them comforting when traveling alone. Be aware of surroundings, don't get drunk and if your gut tells you something feels wrong - listen. Once you are in these place you will see what everyone is saying here. You'll have a great time!!
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 01:50 PM

Actually, neither Barcelona nor Madrid feature in the top 20 most dangerous cities in Europe.

The greatest danger you might encounter is pickpocketing. Easily avoidable.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 01:50 PM

Actually, neither Barcelona nor Madrid feature in the top 20 most dangerous cities in Europe.

The greatest danger you might encounter is pickpocketing. Easily avoidable.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 02:01 PM

Stay home. Christina is right. Crime abounds in Europe. Capital of Europe is : Bruxelles.
Trump said Bruxelles is a hellhole.
Europe,is de facto a hellhole.
Stay in the US. Like Christina.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 02:11 PM

And troll of the year award goes to...
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 03:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Keep your wits about you.

Use a money belt when you're moving place to place.

You'll be fine.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 03:11 PM

dear European forum regulars,

not everything is an inside joke. Not every innocent (naive) question is a "troll".

How about trying to be helpful to this newly registered poster for a change?
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 09:09 PM
kja

FWIW: I did not think the OP (“Original Poster”, Lcvalado) a troll, nor did I think most of the responses assumed that the OP was. And I don’t think any responses save those from one poster were trolling. For example, use of irony is not, as I understand it, necessarily trolling; instead, it can be a great way to place arguments in context. In contrast, I think trying to bait others into a response is far more likely to represent trolling, and FWIW, I think the troll on this thread needs a mirror. JMO.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 11:39 PM

Suze

It seems you didn't get it, Loacker is considering I am the troll.

No the OP is not a troll, but is over listening to fownews. At 25 I didn't listen to alamrming posts on forums...

Ps : Thanks kja ! Good to read people with some sense ;-)
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the helpful answers!
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 12:44 PM

<At 25 I didn't listen to alamrming posts on forums...>

Probably because at 25 for you, there was no internet invented yet!