Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel in Zurich (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-in-zurich-406396/)

maura4 Mar 3rd, 2004 04:54 PM

Hotel in Zurich

We are traveling to Zurich in June and are looking for hotel that is located close to the train station and is also close to the tourist areas of the city. Any help is appreciated...
Thanks

simpsonc510 Mar 3rd, 2004 05:20 PM

We like the Hotel Glockenhoff, which is a Best Western. It's about a block off the Bahnhofstrasse and a short walk to the train station.

Melnq8 Mar 3rd, 2004 08:49 PM

Maura4 -

We've been to Zurich many times, but have only stayed overnight once or twice. We liked the Hotel Alexander (***) which is located about 10 minutes by foot from the main train station. We found it to be ideally located, but unfortunately our room was not. We had the misfortune of getting a room directly above a disco, and were unable to move as the hotel was completely full. Needless to say we didn't get much sleep the night before a very early international flight home.

Otherwise the hotel was excellent.

www.hotel-alexander.ch

Cicerone Mar 3rd, 2004 11:53 PM

I live in Zurich. The tourist areas of Zurich are small and actually close to the train station, so you can either stay right at the train station or in the tourist areas a few blocks away.

As you may have discovered, hotels in Zurich are fairly expensive. What is your budget? If you want a good 4 Star hotel right across the street from the train station, take a look at the Hotel Schweizerhof (hotelschweizerhof.com).

Another nice 4 star hotel across the river from the train station is the Central Hotel (http://www.central.ch)

There is also a Marriott and the Arabella Sheraton Neues Schloss which you may be able to use points to obtain a room. (The other Arabella Sheraton Atlantis is not well located for tourists.) If you give us an idea of budget, people here can provide more suggestions.

As noted above, noise can be an issue in Zurich, esp in the summer months when people are out late. If your hotel is not air-conditioned (very likely in Zurich as traditionally it is not needed), you might ask for a room on an inner courtyard or side street to cut down on street and other noise. The chain hotels like the Marriott and the Sheraton are air conditioned, and most of the 5 star hotels are as well.

Run a search here for other suggestions, as there have been several recent threads on hotels in Zurich.

Eli Mar 3rd, 2004 11:58 PM

"...we didn't get much to sleep.." and "...otherwise the hotel was excellent..."??? This is probably what my English teacher meant when she tried to teach us the meaning of oxymoron.

I always had satisfactory results when searching a hotel in Zurich at either www.zuerich.com or www.hrs.de, and letting the best one win.

dickv2 Mar 4th, 2004 06:50 AM

Good morning, have to put a second on the HOTEL CENTRAL, is is just across
the bridge from the Bahnhof a very excellant location.., and a half block of the head of the Bahnhofstrasse. We have used the HOTEL KINDLI many times
since 87'. very quite location, a smaller hotel and a short taxi ride from the Bahnhof...., Richard of LaGrange Park, Il.

maura4 Mar 5th, 2004 08:30 AM

Thanks to all for your advice.

I will look into your suggestions.

Mary

Melnq8 Mar 6th, 2004 07:15 AM

Eli -

Let me clarify my apparent oxymoron: I'd happily stay at this hotel again, as long as I wasn't given a room on the floor directly above the disco.

This hotel does have quiet rooms, I just didn't happen to get one. My late check-in didn't help matters any.

Other than the location of my particular room, the hotel was fine.

Close proximity to the train station, nicely appointed, helpful staff. etc.

It seems unfair to condemn the entire place based on one sleepless night.

kirlak Mar 11th, 2004 06:33 AM

I came from Zurich last week. My first trip, and I stayed in Britol Hotel. It is very close to train station, about 5 minutes, but located in the quite area of Zurich. I payed about $ 120 per day ( booked through Expedia.com), but you can get better rates through many other website services. This place is small, but clean and nice. Zurich is really a very small city, so you can really walk aroud it in a less than half a day. Good luck.

kirlak Mar 11th, 2004 10:36 AM

Name Correction on previous post: the hotel name is Bristol.

Curt Mar 11th, 2004 12:03 PM

Another vote for Central - great hotel. Also has great bar in lobby.