Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel in Venice near train station (Santa Lucia)

Old Apr 7th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying into Treviso airport arriving at 22:00, staying 2 nights and then taking a 15:44 train to Slovenia from Venezia Santa Lucia. It looks like the buses from the airport are scheduled to coordinate with the flights and it looks like the bus stops at Piazzle Roma which is close to the Santa Lucia train station, can someone recommend a hotel near Piazzle Roma that would allow us to check in late? It looks like we'd arrive at 23:30.

Or would we be better off trying to get a hotel near Treviso and then working our way over to Venice in the morning?

I'd like to keep the cost under 150E, we are going in late May.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 01:14 PM

Yes, I can recommend two, right there at Piazzale Roma, and very nice hotels (but a bit expensive). Santa Chiara, with rooms facing the sea, in a 15th century palazzo, and the breakfast room facing the Grand Canal. You can see this hotel's brightly lit sign from the water at night when you are coming in on the vaporetto from the islands. www.hotelsantachiara.it/

And the Sofitel-lovely hotel, rooms more expensive-around 280-300US/nt., good restaurant and bar-yards from Pze. Roma.

http://www.sofitel.com/sofitel/fiche...he_hotel.shtml
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 01:39 PM
ira

Hi K,

We stayed at the Carlton Hotel Capri - right across from the train station (almost) and an easy walk from Piazzale Roma.

Our room was a special rate, on the 4th floor looking out toward S. Simeon Piccolo church. Quite nice.

It is on Calle Bergamaschi. You will have to check with the hotel on how to access it that late, as they might close the gate on CB.

Check rates at http://tinyurl.com/35cglr
They have a double listed for as low as 114E.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Apr 7th, 2007, 03:22 PM

If you look at www.venere.com, you can search for hotels and rates using a map of Venice. I wouldn't suggest staying near Treviso, it is a tiny airport with minimal services, and trying organize transport beyond the standard bus would probably be a challenge. Most of the mid to larger hotels shouldn't have a problem with late checkin, but the vaporettos don't run as often at night, so a hotel near Pl Roma is probably a reasonable idea; haven't stayed in that area, though, so don't have specific recommendations.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Hotel Basilea (bah-see-lay-ah) has been our base both times we have visited Venice. Small, very clean, about 100 yards by foot from the railway station, on a quiet side canal. I think they have a web site now.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, so far the Sofitel is not available, the Santa Chiara hasn't gotten back to me, Hotel Basilea is not available and two other hotels have sent me their regrets.

Ira, the Carlton is available at 188E on the website you've provided, have you booked through that website? It's two weekend days so the rates are higher.

I'm a little blown away by the rates in Venice for the properties that still have availability, do people really pay $600 a night to stay in mediocre hotels???
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 06:32 AM

"do people really pay $600 a night to stay in mediocre hotels?"

Care to give us an example of a "mediocre" hotel that is quoting $600 and for what type of room?
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 07:41 AM

I've stayed at the Locanda Marinella which is very close to Piazzale Roma yet on a quiet street. It's a nice place and the price is right.

http://uk.locandamarinella.com/
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks rialtogrl, but no availability.

NeoPatrick, I'm just not used to seeing $400-500 rates for 2-3 star hotels. I'm learning that Venice is a VERY expensive city, more so because I'm going on a weekend close to the peak season. Bad planning on my part.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 11:03 AM

I would say that May IS peak season for Venice; rates actually drop a bit in mid-summer. When you combine it with the late arrival time, it is challenging. Venice is an expensive city; I kind of figure on paying at least 2X what I would anywhere else (and probably 1* less in hotel features). You might consider staying over in Mestre on the mainland, where all the bus tours stay. It's a very short train ride into Venice proper. You lose the considerable charm of staying in Venice, but given the late arrival and cost/availability concerns, it is a possibility; I think the Treviso bus does stop there (check for yourself, though).
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 12:11 PM

We had a very satisfactory stay a couple of years back at the Olimpia, right there next to Piazzale Roma (across one smallish bridge), not too expensive and extremely convenient both for transportation and touring.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 03:01 PM
ira

Hi K,

Try looking up the hotels in "Cannaregio Ovest" at www.venere.com.

Check the Nazionale and Guerriniat www.tripadvisor.com.

Old Apr 8th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

I found the Hotel Adriatico for 135E per night and it appears to be close to the Santa Lucia train station. The reviews on Trip Advisor are what I'd expect from a budget hotel, for 2 nights I'm sure it will be fine.

I did give Mestre some thought but our time in Venice is SO limited that I'd rather be in Venice.

Thanks for all the help!