Hotel in Varenna

Apr 8th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Hotel in Varenna

My husband and I will be in Varenna for 3 nights in September. Both Albergo Milano and Albergo Olivedo have rooms available. Does anyone have a recommendation as to which would be most comfortable and convenient?

Thanks,
Mary
Apr 8th, 2003, 05:35 PM

We stayed at Albergo Olivedo last year--had a room on the top floor with private bath. The bed was absolutely one of the worst beds I've ever slept in--so bad that we dragged the mattress off of the bed and slept on the floor.

Also, no elevator--and we had to lug our stuff up 4-5 floors.

However, the dinners (which are part of the room rate and mandatory) are DELICIOUS. People who were not staying at the hotel would come every night for dinner. We made some great friends while we were there--dinners were a wonderful social time.

We asked others staying there about their beds, and no one had problems with theirs. Guess we just had rotten luck to get a bad guest room.

The hotel is extremely convenient.

Apr 8th, 2003, 06:49 PM

OK, maybe this will sound "pompous" or worse. But I can't imaging going to Varenna, staying there, looking across to enchanting Bellagio every night, but having to eat dinner at your same hotel every night -- no matter how good. Maybe I'm just different, but somehow that whole idea seems depressing. One of my favorite indulgences is eating out at different restuarants each night. I don't care how good it might be, if a hotel required me to eat there (or at least pay for it every night) I'd avoid it like the plague!
Apr 8th, 2003, 07:17 PM

Hello - Two sets of my friends stayed at Albergo Milano during their honeymoons in Italy. Both were so happy with the hotel and the wonderful hosts. All of them would definitely stay there again. I stayed in a different hotel up the hill that I thought was fine, but I think being nearer the lake is better. I think there are several posts here on Albergo Milano that would probably have more recent information.
Apr 9th, 2003, 02:41 AM
Bootman4U

Do what I'm doing next month..stay in Menaggio!

Apr 9th, 2003, 03:23 AM

Another vote for Menaggio. Even if you're traveling by train you can hop off in Varenna and get on the ferry to Menaggio in no time and there are more options in Menaggio. That said, the du Lac is another option in Varenna, possibly a bit pricier than Olivedo or Milano but nice, with great views.
Apr 9th, 2003, 07:39 AM

search both hotels on here. You'll find wonderful things on Albergo Milano. I'm staying there in June and will let you know!
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:11 AM

I loved my stay at Albergo Olivedo. It was a charming little hotel and the owner was such a lovely lady and really a highlight of my trip. I had a room with a little balcony and a wonderful view of the lake. My room shared a bathroom with maybe one other room. (never saw the other person and felt like it was all mine) I did not have to eat there every night, but opted to because the food was so good. I would definitely recommend it and look forward to going back there one day.
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:51 AM
MGB

We heard really good things about the Olivedo (room and food) and plan to stay there for 2 nights in Sept. We are required to have dinner there, but everyone does say the food is great. I figure we will be out and about all day seeing the other cities and it will be nice to come back to Varenna and have a relaxing dinner. Again it is only for 2 nights and lunches will be elsewhere. It seems either hotel has gotten good reviews.
Apr 10th, 2003, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the replies. We've booked the Olivedo. I told Laura (the manager/owner, I guess) what I'd heard about lumpy mattresses. She acknowledged that had been a problem in the past but she has now replaced most of them. Anyway, we're giving it a shot. A few years ago, we stayed in Bellagio at the Hotel Florence and had a wonderful experience. It's a truy beautiful spot!

Mary
Apr 10th, 2003, 06:02 AM

If you decide to eat somewhere other than the Olivedo (which does have excellent dinners), let me recommend two restaurants in Varenna. Vechia Varenna is very nice, and has a terrace right on the lake. Slightly more upscale than other places I saw in Varenna. Il Cavateppi was also excellent. Its very tiny (just 5 tables), so you must have a reservation. But food and service in this little place were great. And its just a charming little hole in the wall kind of restaurant.
Apr 10th, 2003, 07:08 AM

Last may we stayed two nights in Verenna.The first at Hotel Villa Citressi which is in a garden on the water.Very nice.We ate at Albergo Olivado which was excellant.Since they had no room the second night we moved to Ermo Gavdiowhich is located high on the mountain overlooking the water.It was a great place with good breakfast which was eaten on the patio outside.We paid 90at Citressi and 71 at Ermo.
Apr 10th, 2003, 04:11 PM

If Laura has taken care of the lumpy, squeaky, painful, awful mattresses--the Olivedo is a wonderful place to stay. Glad to hear she has made that important improvement.
Sep 17th, 2003, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Just back from Italy and stayed at the Olivedo as planned. Overall, it is a charming little hotel but we did have problems. When I wrote a couple of weeks ahead of the trip to confirm our reservations for a double with A/C, I was told our room would not have air conditioning, so we negotiated for one that did. We gave up a room with a view for A/C...or so we thought. When we arrived at the Olivedo, the A/C was shut off and we were told in no uncertain terms by Laura, the owner/manager, that we didn't need it. Our room was on the top floor...that's five TALL floors and no elevator. The first night was uncomfortable without A/C but cooled off the next two nights. That didn't help the worst mattresses I've ever encountered. I think we probably just got the worst room she has as other reviews have been more favorable. Half board is required but it was worth it...food is excellent! And Lago di Como is still one of our favorite spots in Italy.

Sep 17th, 2003, 12:41 PM

oh Mary< YOu should switch to Albergo Milano if you have'nt left yet and they have room. Rooms 1 and 2 have huge balconies overlooking the lake. I just stayed there in June on my HM, it was quiet, romantic, clean and lovely. Also off the beaten path (though everything is close by). The Olivedo is right by the ferry dock. Also, Il Cavatappi has wonderful food and you shouldn't be forced to eat somewhere so you can have flexibility. I really think you should reconsider. (and it's very easy to take a ferry over to Bellagio and explore the more touristy but beautiful area!).
Sep 18th, 2003, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, but too late. We've been and we're back. If we ever go back to Como, we'll know where to go!
Sep 19th, 2003, 05:23 AM

Just stayed in Albergo Olivedo last weekend, and sorry to say, the mattresses are still the worst. We stayed in 2 rooms, the 1st for 2 nights - a large room with balcony on the lake, very large and updated bathroom, wonderful in every respect expect for the horrible matress and pillows. We had to move the third night, as balcony room was only available for first two, and ended up in the attic! 78 steps up! Actually, the room wasn't bad, but the mattress and pillows were still like concrete.

And you're right, Laura is quite the character. We got a real kick just watching her in action. But despite the matresses and stairs, we absolutely loved the location, view and ambience. We met wonderful people at dinner and ended up meeting them for lunch and walks. It was definitely a slice of Old Italy. But she really needs to do something about those beds!
Sep 19th, 2003, 06:14 AM

Judging from the descriptions of Hotel Olivedo why would anyone want to stay at a hotel with uncomfortable beds and a moody owner?