Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel in Trani Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-in-trani-italy-724894/)

skedoo Jul 30th, 2007 05:52 AM

Hotel in Trani Italy

My wife and I are planning a trip through Apulia and are looking to spend a night in the area of Trani. Does anyone know of a good hotel in the Trani area? Seaside would be a plus.

Thank You,

Skedoo

Flame123 Jul 31st, 2007 12:58 AM

We spent three days in Trani 2 months ago and LOVED it. We stayed in a B&B called Ai Carrittieri. Click on my screen name and see my trip report "My Party in Puglia". I will be happy to answer any other specifics.

skedoo Sep 5th, 2007 10:27 AM

Dear Flame:
We are leaving in two weeks and as I stated before we used your trip as a blueprint. We're all set with accomodations and we extracted a lot of what you saw and incorporated into our trip.
My question concerns maps. I have driven in Italy before and I have a good map of Apulia however I am concerned about village maps. did you obtain maps to towns like Trani etc or did you just wing it?
I know we'll just love it as you did and I will report upon our return.
Fred

JudyC Sep 5th, 2007 07:19 PM

This past January, I stayed at Hotel Royal in Trani, nice clean room, right in town centre, about 10-15 minutes walk to the sea.

Flame123 Sep 5th, 2007 10:10 PM

Hi there Fred!!

I have only driven in Italy twice in my lifetime. All in the last year!! Once through Tuscany and the other through Puglia. Nothing could be easier, really. As you say, if you have a good map of Puglia, you will be fine. As for maps within the cities, no I did not have any at all. As you wrote, I just "winged it". It was not difficult really because after a while you end up with a "feel" for knowing where to go and leave your car and then start walking around. And mostly the signs within the city are pretty clear. Your best bet is to follow signs which say "centro" which is the center of town, or "porto" which is the port or harbor section.

I did not attempt driving within Trani AT ALL and when we got into the city, we called the owner of the B&B and he came to meet us and drive us to the B&B. We left the car there the whole time we were in Trani, except for the day we drove out to visit the surrounding villages and it was a bit hair-raising to try finding out way back. But it was all an adventure and part of the excitement.

Have a wonderful time and let us know your impressions when you return.

By the way, where are you staying in Trani?

skedoo Sep 12th, 2007 05:14 AM

Thanks so much for the advice. You have been very helpful. We are staying at the Royal.

I will post a journal upon our return.

Thanks again.
Fred

kja Sep 12th, 2007 08:13 AM

I hope you enjoy Trani as much as I did! The cathedral there is really amazing.

ekscrunchy Sep 12th, 2007 10:32 AM

tt

Holly_uncasdewar Oct 13th, 2007 08:18 PM

JudyC: Did you have a single or a double at the Royal in Trani?