Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel in the 6th, St Germain-des-Pres area.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 01:12 PM
Michelle

We are looking for a hotel ($100.00 or so)in this area. We are staying in the Holiday Inn St Germain ($200.00), but will be leaving the "group" for a week on our own. <BR> <BR>Second question...we will have 4 days after Paris....and are considering Dijon, or the Loire valley...or any other suggestion. We thought of taking the train to Dijon, rent a car drive back and spend the last night in Chablis. any suggestions? <BR> <BR>Merci!!!!!

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 02:17 PM
Christina

guess what, there was a virtually identical question to this within the last week or so (&lt;=$100 hotel in 6e), so you will get the answers to that if you use the search function above--try searching on the word "balcons" as I know that was one recommended hotel. FYI, there are very very few hotels in St-Germain, a rather expensive high-tourist area, for that price, unless you only want a roof over your head, then there are a few. In that case, in addition to other post, try Delhy's or St-Andre-des-Arts, I think both are only one-star hotels (meaning no private bathroom and maybe no elevator), not sure. If basic will do, also try Regent's Hotel at 44 rue Madame (see www.france-hotel-guide.com) near Lux. gardens (near the Perreyve which I think I mentioned in other post). www.parishotels.com as several good budget choices in that area, like these. I think the other query also wanted it to be charming, which does raise the prices, usually, and limit the possibilities. One guy on here stayed at Hotel Welcome also at corner rue de Buci and liked it, but admitted it was very small and basic. I haven't been to Dijon or Chablis, so can't comment on that but I think your other post is best for that info.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 02:45 PM
DeeInLB

We're staying at Le Regent on Rue Dauphine in the 6th for 750FF (less than $100 right now) for a standard double room. The reviews of it I've read have been good, although the rooms are supposed to be small. We haven't been there yet so I can't tell you how it will be, but I'm hopeful! They have a Web site where you can see photos and check rates and availability.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 02:56 PM
Surlok

Michelle, <BR> <BR>There are other options, like "Hotel du Globe", that doesn't have an elevator, but is said to be "tres charmant", although the rooms are very small. Check the info at: <BR> <BR>http://www.paris.org/paris-cgi/PDB/hotel.cgi?htl2046 <BR> <BR>and also "Hotel Eugenie" <BR> <BR>http://www.paris.org/paris-cgi/PDB/hotel.cgi?htl2044 <BR> <BR>They shall be within your price range, or even lower. They are both wonderfully located, although if you like people watching, the Rue St. Andre des Arts can't be beat. <BR> <BR>Also the " Le Regent" is a very nice hotel. I've stayed three times at Rue Dauphine, one at Hotel Dauphine, which is right across the street, and twice at L'Aubusson, a little bit closer to the Seine river. It's a lovely street, quite close to St.Andre des Arts and Rue de Buci, where there's a lot of action, although Rue Dauphine itself, although having a bit of traffic, is quiet. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 03:34 PM
lisa

I disagree with Christina -- there are LOTS of hotels in the 6th with private baths under $100 per night -- mostly 2 stars. Hotel des Grand Balcons is one and it is very nice and well under your price range. My only caveat is that I would not stay there in the summertime because it does not have air conditioning. Otherwise I do not hesitate to recommend it. As Christina suggested, do a search using the word "Balcons" and you'll come up with lots of ideas.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 05:15 PM
Nancy

Coincidentally the Hotel St. Germain may fit your bill (no pun intended). Located in the 6th, the rate for a plain double room is about $100, depending on the exchange rate. Their web page is: http://www.hotel-saint-germain.com/l.../location.html <BR>Feel free to e-mail me if you need more info on Paris. Bon voyage.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 09:49 AM
bob

A very attractive French city is Lyon, 2-3 hours by TGV train from Paris. You could rent a car there, explore the Beaujolais region, then on through the Loire Valley before returning to Paris!

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 09:56 AM
don

I stayed at the Regent's hotel two years ago, and wouldnot call it basic, although it did not have air-conditioning or a mini-bar. Other than that, it was a very pleasant hotel with a fantastic location. If you are talking $100 U.S., it will be below that. Another good hotel in the area is the Atlantis St. Germain, or the Hotel de l'Avenir, which would probably be a little bit more upscale, but still within your range.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 10:21 AM
Hope

Going in a few weeks and staying at the Regent's on Rue Madame. Not expecting anything fancy, but got great feedback on it from this site (do a search for more info). You may want to look at the National Geographic Traveler magazine from the spring (March???) that has 22 Paris Hotels for under $100 a night -- they spell out the pluses and minuses pretty clearly, as well as the prices. I know there were 3-4 in the 6th as well as several choices in the 5th and 7th. Worth taking a look. Enjoy your trip!!

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 01:13 PM
Marty

Hope: We stumbled onto the Regent's on Rue Madame at Thanksgiving 1999. Our other (le Clement) lost our reservation and sent us there. We loved it! We were on the 4th floor, and the rooms were huge by Paris standards with brand new bathrooms. The yellow and blue decor was very charming. Let me know how you find it this time. I plan to stay there again next year.