Hotel in St Remy?

Old Jan 28th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in St Remy?

Does anyone have a hotel recommendation in Saint Remy in Provence? I would like to find something that we can drive in and out of easily for day trips but in walking distance to town for dinners at night. I had booked Hotel du Soleil and Spa but I'm starting to get second thoughts based on some reviews and an odd email I received saying if i wanted a room with a terrace ( like I reserved) I would have to cancel my booking.com reservation and book straight through them. Little unsettling to me.
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 09:36 AM

Sorry, can't help but I agree that is very odd because they are the ones who made the deal with Booking to be listed there and that means they should have agreed as to which rooms are allowed to be sold that way. If they don't want to allow rooms with terraces on Booking, they shouldn't allow Booking to list them.

So I don't get it and have never had a hotel do that to me when booking through booking.com, they have always been nice--in fact, I once emailed a hotel about a booking.com booking I had made which was in USD, and asked them if they got that reservation and what the rate was going to be in euro, and they told me. And any hotel I've contacted by email about a booking.com reservation has treated me the same as if I had reserved through them in terms of taking room request notes, etc. Once booking.com messed up and didn't really make the reservation which I didn't find out until I got to the hotel and they got them on the phone, and the hotel even agreed to give me the lower booking.com rate which would not be available walk-up.

Having said that, was a terrace room actually listed on booking.com with a special rate? Because I don't see any listing for such a room. If so, that is weird. If it isn't listed and that is just a room request, it sounds like they want a higher rate for it?
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 09:48 AM

I stayed at Hotel le Castelet des Alpilles last June and it was a poor value for the money. Paper-thin walls insure that that the loud slamming doors will awaken you at all hours. The breakfast was meager and rather pitiful. It did have good parking and a nice pool.
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 09:56 AM
dac

We have stayed at Chateaux des Alpilles and loved it. It is a five to ten minute easy drive into St. Remy. They serve dinner and a beautiful setting. It is run by a mother and daughter who live nearby.
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 11:00 AM

Take a look at Hôtel de l'Image, 36 Boulevard Victor Hugo, a 4-min. walk from the center of Saint-Rémy-de-Provence. They also provide free parking (www.hotel-image.fr).
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 12:18 PM
mjs

We stayed at the hotel Le Vallion de Valrugues last May and enjoyed our 5 night stay. Rooms a bit small but nice terrace. Jr Suite much bigger if you need space. Its about a 10 minute walk to town. No problems driving out of town. Do bring your own GPS or use a good smart phone GPS AP. The Hotel de L'Image is a sister hotel and is right in town with underground parking and nice grounds in back. A definite step down in quality though.
Old Jan 29th, 2017, 05:11 PM

Hotel de l'image gets another vote here! Great location and you can even stay in a tree room if you like!
Old Jan 29th, 2017, 07:28 PM

We really enjoyed Le Mas des Carassins just outside of town. The room was comfortable and the lovely grounds and terrific dinners offered in their outdoor garden were a delight. We hope to return someday.
Old Jan 29th, 2017, 07:31 PM

I second the reco for Le Mas des Carassins. It's a lovely, serene spot. Excellent hosts as well.
Old Jan 29th, 2017, 07:34 PM

Le Soleil was great; our room was rather small but bath was very large -- it didnt matter for the 4-5 nights. Location was perfect, right across the street from tourist office and two blocks from the 'inner ring' of St. Remy. Breakfast was fine, clean as a whistle, and secured parking and gate access 'after hours' at night was fine. We were there in September 2015.
Old Jan 30th, 2017, 06:13 AM

Have stayed at the Chateau des Alpilles twice and had dinner there when we rented a place nearby. Great experience!
Old Jan 30th, 2017, 07:44 AM

We liked Sous Les Figueres (under the fig trees). Easy walk to restaurants and they have a great parking lot that is gated. The rooms near the fig trees are especially nice and there is a nice common lounge area with crystal chandeliers. Every room has a sitting area outside with table and chairs. This is a small hotel--maybe 14 rooms.
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 05:45 AM

Chateau des Alpilles was fantastic, well appointed rooms, beautiful setting. It is a short drive to town. I would stay there again if in St. Remy.
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 08:41 AM

St Remy is charming and we stayed at Hotel du Soleil and loved it. We drove around to the other towns recommended by rick steves and loved those too!
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 08:58 AM

We stayed at the Vallon de Valrugues severalyears ago and found it to be very comfortable. We had a patio room, which was spacious and quiet at the back of the property. Breakfast on the terrace near the pool was lovely; gated parking is very useful in this area.
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 10:16 AM

Hotel de L'Image gets another vote. One of the most interesting, quirky yet elegant hotels we have stayed in.. highlight of our trip to Provence - Converted movie theater, if others haven't mentioned already- beautiful grounds, lovely people.
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 11:38 AM

I don't know what your budget is but, I've come across 2 very special looking properties in my search. I'm traveling during May and have been looking at St Remy as well. These are right in town:

Hotel du Tourrell: www.detourrel.com

and

This apartment in town which looks simply gorgeous (and very booked up!). It appears to have a 3 night minimum.
http://vickiarcher.com/le-petit-bijou/ or,
https://www.vrbo.com/504182
Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 05:03 PM

We stayed in the Hotel Gounod right in the center of town. We planned our visit to be there on market day and when we went out the front door - there it was! It was very easy to get in and out of town to do day trips. At the time it had some quirky decor, but I would stay there again.
Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Very helpful!