Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   hotel in St. Emillion (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-in-st-emillion-114994/)

tzadra Mar 27th, 2001 07:09 AM

hotel in St. Emillion

Looking for a 3 star hotel preferably in or nearby St Emillion. Any suggestions?

ehowland Mar 27th, 2001 07:56 AM

We're staying at Hostellerie de Plaisance in St. Emilion in May. If you do a search on this forum, you should be able to find more information on this hotel. Sounds great!

Tzadar Mar 27th, 2001 08:05 AM

Checked with this hotel.. 1900FF per night in July. This out of my budget range but it does sound nice. have a great trip.

helen Mar 27th, 2001 08:54 AM

Suggest you try Chateau de Sanse - a 15 minute drive away. <BR>See www.chateau-hotels.com

Rich Mar 27th, 2001 09:27 AM

<BR> <BR>Sorry to piggyback on your question. but this could help us both. <BR> <BR>I stayed at a really nice Chateau very close to St. Emillion five years ago and would love to go back this fall. I checked the website for Chateau de Sanse but it does not look like the one I stayed at. <BR> <BR>It was a working vinyard (I suppose most are?) surrounded by grapevines. <BR> <BR>Does anyone know another chateau close to St. Emillion? <BR> <BR>(A mind is a terrible thing to loose) <BR> <BR>Rich

StCirq Mar 27th, 2001 09:30 AM

Rich: <BR> <BR>Could it be the Château Lardier, in Rusch? I stayed there two years ago and thought it was simply lovely (and the price was hard to beat - about 300FF for a comfy double).

Rich Mar 27th, 2001 09:40 AM

Does not sound familiar . . I recall it was on the high dollar side but really pleasant. It had a new addition on one side with about 8 rooms, but I stayed in the older side. <BR> <BR>Wish I could recall the name. <BR> <BR>Thanks . . Rich

tzadra Mar 27th, 2001 12:12 PM

I found this hotel.. sold out for the dates I wanted maybe it will work for you: Hotel Chateau Grand Barrail

Rich Mar 28th, 2001 05:07 AM

<BR> <BR>I looked at Chateau Grand Barrail on the web and that's it . . thanks a bunch. <BR> <BR>It is a great place to spend a couple of days in the middle of the vinyards. I was there during harvest and it was something to watch. We used it as a home base to explore the region. <BR> <BR>Rich

tzadra Mar 28th, 2001 05:21 AM

Found a place in the Fodors 2001 book called AUBERGE DE LA COMMANDERIE. Has anyone stayed there, would like some input before I book it.

tzadra Mar 28th, 2001 05:26 AM

Found a place in the Fodors 2001 book called AUBERGE DE LA COMMANDERIE. Has anyone stayed there, would like some input before I book it.

tzadra Mar 28th, 2001 05:30 AM

Found a hotel in Fodors 2001 called AUBERGE DE LA COMMANDERIE. Anyone stayed there, any input would be appreciated before I book it.

tzadra Mar 28th, 2001 05:31 AM

Got mouse happy.. sorry

Deborah Jan 9th, 2003 01:27 PM

It's almost two years later, has anyone stayed at the Auberge de la Commanderie in Saint Emilion? We are considering the hotel for a trip this May, also open to other hotel suggests in or around Saint Emilion. Thanks for any comments or suggestions. Deborah

Ron Jan 9th, 2003 07:40 PM

The Hostellerie de Plaisance is the best hotel in St Emillion, but I much prefer to stay a short distance away at the Chateau Grand Barrail.

chris Jan 10th, 2003 08:05 AM

We stayed at the Commanderie many years ago (5? 6? 7?). It was fine. There is a main building that is slightly fancier (and more expensive) and an annex, which is also fine. My parents (elderly) stayed in the main building. We stayed in a garret room in the annex. Across the street was a wonderful restaurant -- traditional haute cuisine.