Hotel in Southampton or Winchester UK

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2018, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our flight from the US arrives at LHR at 7:45 am on a Friday morning, the day before our cruise departs from Southampton. Probably we will book a private taxi from LHR to our Friday night hotel. I am sure we will be quite jet lagged and will not feel like waiting for the next bus up to 2 hours to leave LHR.

We were planning to spend the day and night Southampton for convenience for the cruise departure, but after reading older threads here, we are rethinking that. Is Southampton really to be avoided? Nothing to do for a first-timer there; no interesting cafes/restaurants? All suggestions are welcomed.

If we should stay elsewhere, such as Winchester, what hotels or B&Bs are recommended? I see that there's a train service from there to Southampton or I suppose taxi/uber would also work but likely be more expensive.

Would appreciate all comments, keeping in mind that we'll be dragging a bit after an economy flight from the US.

Thank you!
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 10:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Me personally -- I'd stay in central London near Waterloo station.

You'd be on/near the river so even if you were to jetlagged to see/do much you could stroll along the Embankment, maybe take a river cruise or ride the Eye, or something pleasant. Have a nice early dinner and that the train from Waterloo to Southampton the next day.

The train woud take between 1:15 and 1:35 depending on which one you caught - and no changes.

Last edited by janisj; Jun 24th, 2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 10:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
another option, which will not break the bank quite so much as your original plan, would be to get a cab [better still an pre-booked car service] to Reading station, and then catch the train to Winchester or Southampton. There is a bus from LHR Terminal 5 to Reading if you think you're up to it.

I have never stayed in either place, but I'd think for relaxation and charm, Winchester probably has the advantage.

Of course if you have to join your ship early the next morning, that would tilt the argument in favour of Southampton.
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
Me personally -- I'd stay in central London near Waterloo station.

You'd be on/near the river so even if you were to jetlagged to see/do much you could stroll along the Embankment, maybe take a river cruise or ride the Eye, or something pleasant. Have a nice early dinner and that the train from Waterloo to Southampton the next day.

The train woud take between 1:15 and 1:35 depending on which one you caught - and no changes.
Thanks, Janis! This looks like a great option. I will investigate the logistics. Probably will treat ourselves to a hired taxi for LHR to the London hotel. Do you have any midrange hotel suggestions? Clean and comfortable be will be our priority at that point!
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 10:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Thanks, Janis! This looks like a great option. I will investigate the logistics. Probably will treat ourselves to a hired taxi for LHR to the London hotel.<<

Not a 'taxi -- same concept, but it would be a pre-booked car service like justairports.com. With moderate luggage it would cost between £35 and £40 . . . if you have steamer trunks maybe £45+ for cash and £50 with a credit card.

There are several what is your budget? There is the Premier Inn County Hall which is a budget chain but this specific location is their most expensive property because of its location/popularity - is often booked up. There are three different Park Plaza hotels surrounding Waterloo. The Marriott is very expensive but is wonderful and would work if you have Marriott points. There is an Ibis and a Novotel a about half a mile east of Waterloo.
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by annhig
another option, which will not break the bank quite so much as your original plan, would be to get a cab [better still an pre-booked car service] to Reading station, and then catch the train to Winchester or Southampton. There is a bus from LHR Terminal 5 to Reading if you think you're up to it.

I have never stayed in either place, but I'd think for relaxation and charm, Winchester probably has the advantage.

Of course if you have to join your ship early the next morning, that would tilt the argument in favour of Southampton.
Thanks, Ann, for the logistics options. Winchester looks charming indeed. I think we will now wind up heading into London for the 24 hours or so pre-cruise. I never would have figure that out with Janis' suggestion!
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
>>Thanks, Janis! This looks like a great option. I will investigate the logistics. Probably will treat ourselves to a hired taxi for LHR to the London hotel.<<

Not a 'taxi -- same concept, but it would be a pre-booked car service like justairports.com. With moderate luggage it would cost between £35 and £40 . . . if you have steamer trunks maybe £45+ for cash and £50 with a credit card.

There are several what is your budget? There is the Premier Inn County Hall which is a budget chain but this specific location is their most expensive property because of its location/popularity - is often booked up. There are three different Park Plaza hotels surrounding Waterloo. The Marriott is very expensive but is wonderful and would work if you have Marriott points. There is an Ibis and a Novotel a about half a mile east of Waterloo.
Janis, I the Premier Inn will be fine for us for one night. Thanks again so much for this suggestion. I checked train costs too from Waterloo to Southampton and they seem very reason when booked this far in advance.
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 12:43 PM

It sounds like you've settled on London now, but for the benefit of future readers, Southampton does have things to see and do.
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 01:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad you found an option that you like, GinnyJo. And I hope you have a great trip.
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by annhig
Glad you found an option that you like, GinnyJo. And I hope you have a great trip.
Thanks, annhig! It's rather last minute so I'm glad to be getting the bookings finished.
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 11:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Portsmouth is interesting with some great museums and restaurants.
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Because of the scheduled train strike for Friday and Saturday, we decided to take it easy and just go directly to Southampton for Friday night. Suggestions for casual restaurants or pubs would be appreciated!
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 11:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd travel on to Portmouth or Gosport, the restaurants/pubs on Osbourne Road in Gosport/Southsea are wide ranging and interesting. Hotels on Southsea common have the best views (also a small Henry IIX castle). Southampton city centre a bit dull.
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 12:44 AM

<< Because of the scheduled train strike for Friday and Saturday, we decided to take it easy and just go directly to Southampton for Friday night. >> Glad you worked it out yourself that getting straight to Soton is the best course of action. Even without strike action, South Western trains are not the most reliable IME, it's a line I use now and again and often there are problems.

https://www.southwesternrailway.com/...ustrial-action
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 01:41 AM

Two years ago we spent two nights in the somewhat quirky Polygon Villas airbnb in Southampton and thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. The best restaurant we found was an Italian one, the name of which escapes me now, on the right-hand side of the main street leading down to the port. I thought Southampton was fascinating, if not pretty in a conventional way. The plaques and sidewalk engravings commemorating the American troops who had passed through on their way to Normandy were arresting.