Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   hotel in Salzburg..Altstadthotel Wolf-Dietrich or Blaue Gans (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-in-salzburg-altstadthotel-wolf-dietrich-or-blaue-gans-184220/)

Connie Jan 21st, 2003 05:46 AM

hotel in Salzburg..Altstadthotel Wolf-Dietrich or Blaue Gans

I am trying to choose between two hotels in Salzburg. Can anyone recommend their favorite. The choices are the Blaue Gans or the Altstadthotel Wolf-Dietrich. Also has anyone eaten in either of the restaurants? Which location do you think is better or are they about the same and how is the parking?

Wendy Jan 23rd, 2003 02:46 AM

Connie,<BR><BR>It has been a few years since I stayed at the Wolf, I cannot remember the parking, as I was traveling by train... but I can tell you it was WONDEFUL! I couldn't beat the location and the beds were oh so sumptuous... (I promptly came home and purchased a feather mattress and duvet)The view from my window at night is one of my most memorable... a starry night and full moon reflecting down onto the snow covered mountains in the distance, the fortress, the river, and the old town... The staff was very helpful and the food was good as I remember, but I ate at other places in town as it was very central...<BR><BR>Enjoy!<BR>Wendy

Joyce Jan 23rd, 2003 04:30 AM

I stayed at the Wolf-Dietrich, and it was a nice hotel, clean and comfortable. I think there are 2 hotels with this name in Salzburg. I do not remember any great views at this hotel, but maybe I was on a lower floor (do not remember). <BR><BR>Just a word of warning: There are many churches in this location, and church bells ring every 15 minutes to mark the quarter-hour, with more than 100 rings each time (I stopped counting at 100). This ringing starts at 7 AM and does not stop until 11 PM. <BR><BR>I was sick with a stomach virus when I arrived in Salzburg at noon, and wanted only to sleep. Due to the incessent bell-ringing, sleep was an impossiblity. I thought I would lose my mind from this incessant ringing. I took an oath to never, never, never stay overnight in Salzburg again. <BR><BR>This constant bell-ringing will not be a problem for you if you are in good health and can match your sleeping schedule to the bells schedule. If this is the case, you will probably not even notice the bells. Otherwise I suggest reconsidering your overnight plans.

Wendy Jan 23rd, 2003 04:37 AM

Joyce is absolutely right! <BR><BR>I've just looked up where I stayed and there are indeed 2 'Wolf' Hotels... I stayed in www.hotelwolf.com not the Wolf-Deitrich.<BR><BR>Good Luck!<BR>Wendy

John Jan 24th, 2003 05:17 AM

We've stayed at the Blaue Gans 4 times, the last being in 2000. The hotel has undergone a significant renovation since then and we ate there last year when they were booked and we stayed elsewhere.<BR><BR>We love the BG. Especially the Karajan (larger) rooms (129-159 E/nt, depending on when you travel). The location is wonderful, the breakfast superb, and they have an excellent indoor and outdoor restaurant. It can be noisy early mornings when the delivery and trash pick up trucks go through Getreidegasse, but other than that, we can't say enough about it. Wolf-Dietrich, as I recall, is across the river and not in the heart of the Altstadt, so from my perspective, the BG is better. Lots of posters here, though, rave about the W-D.