hotel in rothenburg

Jun 11th, 2000, 07:20 AM
mast

hotel in rothenburg

Hi! we will be driving to rothenburg and will spend a night or two there.is it better to stay in a hotel with a car park but outside the wall or stay in one located right at the market square but with no parking lot?
any comment on hotel hornburg or any good recommendation?

thanks and regards,

mast

Jun 11th, 2000, 07:47 AM
Chris

I've been to Rothenburg several times and I'd always stay inside the walls. As a matter of fact we'll be there in a less than 2 months.

We tend to stay in gasthaus type places with parking right outside the place or just up the street.

Two recommendations are Gashthaus Raidel or Pension Pochel. These properties are on Wengasse right near the Pronlein. Both places are clear, moderately priced and in a good location.

Jun 11th, 2000, 09:59 AM
nickie

We stayed at the Tilman Riemenschneider, which is on Georgenstrasse, a street down from the square. I believe it had a car park outside of it, but we used their garage which was a few blocks away. This is a very nice hotel, with alpine handpainted furniture, great breakfast. It was convenient to be able to walk to all the sights from the hotel. A twin bedded room was DM280.

Jun 11th, 2000, 10:03 AM
vosaki

If you stay outside the walls, I guess you walk in and out. It's quite a hetance from the outside hotels to the center of town. I think you lose the flavor of being in the middle of a medeval town when you stay outside the walls. There is nothing going on outside the walls, it's modern and nondescript.
The last time we were there about four years ago we stayed at the Eisenhut. It's in the middle of town with a nice restaurant and a piano bar. We just let the valet park the car, and did not see it again until we checked out. It's a quaint place, but I'm out sure that it's worth more than one nights stay.

Jun 11th, 2000, 05:16 PM
mast

Thanks guys! do any of the hotels quoted have websites to assess?

Jun 11th, 2000, 06:32 PM
mast

We stayed at a hotel called "Alte Frankische Weinstube" and had a great time. They have canopied beds and a great restaurant.

Jun 11th, 2000, 08:11 PM
nickie

The website for the Tilman Riemenschneider is www.rothenburg.de/Progast/html/tilman.html - you can actually view a lot of hotels from the main website. Their e-mail address is [email protected]. I just looked at my notes -the DM280 was for the largest twin or double they have, but the rooms start at DM240. There are also honeymoon rooms with four poster bed for DM320.

Jun 11th, 2000, 11:14 PM
Gayle

Hi Mast, we stayed in the small hotel Sonne which is in the pedestian only street leading off the market square. The position was perfect, rooms with bathroom were quite nice and only 130DM per double including breakfast. To stay in Rothenburg and not stay inside the wall would be a shame. There is a great website for the Rothenburg town with a livecam of the market square on http://www.rothenburg.de/tour/e/tour1.html Have a great stay, I would recommend 2 nights minimum to have a chance to really explore the wall, the town and a lovely walk down into the valley - Gayle

Jun 12th, 2000, 01:00 AM
mast

Thanks everybody. My concern is whether there is any parking place available as I will be driving.

Jun 12th, 2000, 03:40 AM
Mary Ann

Hi
We have been there twice and stayed both times within the city walls. The first time it took us 20 minutes to find the place so this last time we parked in one of several lots outside the wall, walked in to the pub (Hotel Altfrankishe weinstube am Klosterhof) found out the best route in and where to park (just around the corner). Most places should be able to tell you. So either call, Fax or email your concern and most will reply. Have a great time, do not miss the night watchmans tour, it is great fun.

Jun 12th, 2000, 04:17 AM
Sally

We just returned from Germany and stayed at the Eisenhut. I highly recommend it! It's very near the town hall. We drove up and parked on the street and gave the keys to our bellman. After he showed us to the room he parked the car at some unknown location. I agree, take the Watchman's tour -- even our 14 yr. old loved it.

Jun 13th, 2000, 01:07 AM
mast

It seems like the rate has shoot up rather high now. is december consider as low or high season? and is the rate the same to book thru internet compare to walk in rate?

Jun 14th, 2000, 05:23 PM
Jeff

I just returned from Rothenburg and I stayed at the Burg Hotel in the center of the old city. It was easy access though the road are narrow. I enjoyed being able to walk around the old part and stay there as well. I would highly recommend this hotel. My room was a little expensive at 270 DM, but worth every pfennig.

Jun 15th, 2000, 12:49 PM
JB

Hi Mast. This is a good opportunity for me to recommend a great Gasthaus that we have stayed at two different times in Rothenburg - most recently this past May. The name is Bayerischer Hof, located about a block-and-a-half outside the wall. The proprietor/owners are Harald and Petra Schellhaas. They have a great lunch and dinner menu and Harald is a great cook. Breakfast is included in the price of the room - a double room in May was 135 DM - and each room is lovely and comfortable including large, modern bathrooms. There is free parking behind the inn with a gate that is locked at night. The Gasthaus is lovely and I recommend it highly for those who don't mind staying outside the wall. Petra and Harald will make you feel right at home. Their phone number is 09861/6063 and Fax is 86561. Enjoy your time in Rothenburg!

Jun 18th, 2000, 04:36 AM
Monica

Hello Mast,

I returned from Germany on Friday and stayed in Rothenburg for 2 nights at the Hotel Gerberhaus. My husband and I were VERY pleased with the accommodations, location, and breakfast that was included in the price of our hotel. We paid 135DM/night ($66) and were in room #7. This charming hotel is inside the city walls on the lower side of town. Picture Rothenburg as a head (portrait) and the hotel is located along the neck of the town. Our room faced the back side into the hotel's beer garden and town wall. Parking was along inside the walls, next to the walls. In fact, we could see our car from our window. The bathroom was a decent size, king bed (actually twins put together in a wood frame), great feather comfortors. The room, filled with birch furniture, also had tv and we could watch CNN. Phone: 09-861-94900 or email Inge and Kurt at [email protected]ine.de. For breakfast, there was a buffet of meats, cheese, assorted rolls, fruit, yogurt, coffee, tea, bottled water, and Sekt (sparkling wine) to go with your orange juice.

We also did the night watchman's tour and really enjoyed it. And on Thursday night we headed outside the wall and did a wine tasting tour. Samples 8 local wines and brought home 6 bottles! We also toured the crime museum, which was very interesting, and walked the walls and went to the top of one of the towers for great city views. Have a great time!

Jun 18th, 2000, 05:11 AM
Zack

Hi, well I was in Rothenburg last night,and I would say staying in the walls is best, although it isn't hard to walk to the center from outside either. I can't remember the name of the place all of a sudden. Its a fun town and I hope you enjoy it, there are many things to do....sorry I couldn't have been more help....~Zack

Jun 18th, 2000, 07:22 AM
mast

many thanks to all of you for all the info. I have e-mail some of the hotels for more details.
Again, thanks.

mast

Jun 20th, 2000, 07:41 PM
steve

in '87 i stayed at the Gastehaus Hofmann, just inside the wall. they also own the gastehaus zum schmolzer. It was nice, basic and quite inexpensive (around $25 for a double)

Jun 21st, 2000, 08:58 AM
Jeff

I would second the prevous post about Hotel Gerberhaus. Also, if memory serves we ate at the Alte Frankische Weinstube, which is discussed above. If it is the place I think it is, we had a great meal on their large patio.

Jun 21st, 2000, 09:50 AM
Bob

We get to Rothenburg quite frequently. Stay inside the walls. More fun.

Our favorite hotel is the Reichs Kutchenmeister. It is located right next to St Jacobs church (main church in town) and a short, short walk to the Rathhaus and main square. Good restaurant, nice wein stube, even if you do not stay there. They also offer parking in a gated area for a small fee. Ask for a room in the old original building. Rates are around 160 DM for a double with bath and breakfast. Phone is 011 49 9861 2046. Fax is 011 49 9861 86965. Check it out. You will enjoy it. Do the nightwatchmans tour while you are there. In English and fun. Any questions, email me direct.

Search this Thread