Pisa, Luca, and Pompeii TOUR GUIDES

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of five (with 8 yr old, 10 yr old, 12 yr old kids) and adventuring to Europe this summer starting in Rome and going on the Norweigan Epic. My husband and I (late 30's) have travelled a lot (both domestically and internationally) and we've taken the kids to South America and Mexico, but this is the first European trip for them.
Our ports are Livorno, Nice, Marseille, Naples, and Barcelona.
With only 10 hours to explore in the day, I am wanting to maximize my time and willing to pay some (500 Euros) for tours of Pompeii and possibly Pisa and Luca.
If anyone has had experience in the above places with people they would recommend, i would appreciate it. Any ideas on the accesibility of doing Pisa on your own from the train in Livorno is also welcome.
Is there a don't miss in Nice and Marseilles area?

thank you so much. I have loved getting information from Fodorites for the last 12 years!
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 12:35 PM

Here is a great thread on guides in Italy!

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...aster-list.cfm
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 06:54 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
For Pompeii, you can take a taxi or tram from the port to the Naples train station. The Circumvesuviana train to Pompeii is downstairs (Trenitalia trains are upstairs/ground level). They run twice hourly. You want the train going towards Sorrento and you get off at the Pompeii Scavi stop. Tickets are about 2.50€ one way. The entrance to the ruins is just across the street and entrance fee is 11€. There will be guides trying to get people to join their groups or you can rent an audio guide at the entrance (about 7€). You will have to leave your ID (I suggest a driver's license) at the booth until you return your audio guide.

http://www.vesuviana.it/web/en

http://www.pompeiisites.org/

Livorno to Pisa Centrale by train takes about 15-20 minutes with tickets as cheap as 2.30€ although a few trains are about 10€. Trains are frequent. From Pisa Centrale there are buses to the tower (about 1€) or you can walk.

I think I would actually head to Lucca first as it's furthest and work your way back towards Livorno. To get to Lucca, you would train to Pisa Centrale and change trains for Lucca. Travel time will be about 1 hour and cost 4.60€. The walled town is across the street from the station.

When you are ready to leave Lucca, take a train to Pisa S. Rossore station (about 20-25 minutes). When you get off, you can walk to the tower (cross the tracks and it's a short walk of a couple of minutes). Print a map of Pisa so you can make sure you are heading the right direction when you get off the train.

When you are ready to go back to Livorno, take one of the buses to Pisa Centrale station and catch your train to Livorno. Be sure to validate all train tickets in the yellow boxes before boarding.
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:20 AM

Sorry to gate crash but kybourbon can you let us know how much the tour guides charge at Pompeii and how do you know who is qualified/good a touring?
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:31 AM

guides.viator.com for licensed reputable not cheap guides.
My wife and I in May simply hopped the Circumvesuviana
4 euros to Pompeii/Sorrento cheap quick easy way to go for us.
eurocheapo.com/naples getting around In the past for a couple of euros from Livorno Pisa by train was fine easy to get to
leaning tower from train station and really not far we have
done this from ships a couple of times Star Princess for us last.seat61.com/italy god training info.

Have fun!
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:33 AM

eurocheapo.com/nice "getting around" "things to do"
Promenade d'Anglais Negresco Hotel area a do not miss
where we usually stay is the prettiest.
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mrs darwin, if the ship goes past Hull I'll come and show you around for $500 for a day.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 07:47 AM

They are specialized tours for cruise passengers: contact them, trust me!
www.cruiseandtouritaly.com