Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel in Orvieto (Italy) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-in-orvieto-italy-496667/)

Alex72 Jan 19th, 2005 09:25 AM

Hotel in Orvieto (Italy)

What is a good hotel in Orvieto to spend one or two nights?

Grinisa Jan 19th, 2005 09:35 AM

We enjoyed our stay at La Badia which is just outside Orvieto and has wonderful views of the city perched on its tufa rock. Spacious, comfortable rooms, great restaurant, pool and tennis courts. The hotel is, as its name suggest, located in a former Abbey.

MFNYC Jan 19th, 2005 09:41 AM

we stayed at teh palazzo picilomini which was very nice.

MFNYC Jan 19th, 2005 09:45 AM

The website is www.hotelpiccolomini.it. Tis hotel is right in town.

Dayle Jan 19th, 2005 10:31 AM

Hi Alex,

We also stayed at the Palazzo Piccolomini for 3 nights. Very nice! It's at the opposite end of town from the train station. If you are driving, you can park in the town parking structure and take the "accensori" (underground escalators)up right to the hotel. If you ask, they will come and get you.

Orvieto is wonderful! While you are there, be sure to see Civita de Bagnoreggio!

Marilyn Jan 19th, 2005 10:36 AM

Another vote for Piccolomini. I've stayed there 3 times and love the location and the friendly, kind staff. They actually have a tiny parking lot almost across the street. You need to ask them for the gate key at the desk, but it's quite convenient.

If you have the time, Bagnoreggio is wonderful. Have lunch at the Hosteria del Ponte, right across the bridge. Fabulous food and spectacular view.

And don't miss the San Brizio chapel inside the Duomo (far righthand side) and some of Italy's best gelato (across from the Duomo all the way to the left as you face the front door from outside).

MFNYC Jan 19th, 2005 10:45 AM

We drove to the Piccolomini. They will park the car for you at a small fee. We had a tough time finding the hotel, so were more than glad to have them park it.

Marija Jan 19th, 2005 10:51 AM

La Badia is great but you're some distance outside of Orvieto with no way to get to town except for driving. Orvieto is an interesting city and there's a lot to be said for staying in the city proper and enjoying the restaurants at night without having to drive back. We thought we could take cabs but were warned by the hotel that it was unlikely that we could take a cab back at night.

Betsy Jan 19th, 2005 10:55 AM

Loved the Virgilio for it's location on the piazza of the Duomo. Ask for a room overlooking the piazza. Magic!

uhoh_busted Jan 19th, 2005 12:29 PM

We were there in May 2001 and stopped in the tourist office to book a Hotel in town for less than I had been quoted prior to our trip! It really is a lovely place to stay. If you are traveling in the shoulder season or off season, you do not need to feel wary about using the local Tourist Info office services.

Marilyn Jan 19th, 2005 04:09 PM

Marija, the last time I arrived at the train station about 10 pm there were no cabs in sight and I got no help from anyone at the bar next door.

I called the hotel and the night desk clerk told me someone would come for me within 10 minutes. Soon a private car showed up -- that dear young man had sent his girlfriend down to get me!

He later told me, if I understood correctly, that there are only 3 taxis in the whole town. Can that be?

Marija Jan 19th, 2005 05:32 PM

Wouldn't surprise me if there are only 3 cabs. La Badia told us to forget about cabs!

Dayle Jan 19th, 2005 05:52 PM

Alex,

We were really glad we stayed IN Orvieto. It's a great place in the evenings. I would not have enjoyed staying in the countryside and missing such a unique town.

Betsy Jan 19th, 2005 06:24 PM

Hey, Marilyn! I was told there were only three taxis too. We actually got to ride in one of them from our hotel down to the station.

Marilyn Jan 19th, 2005 07:15 PM

Hi Betsy -- I guess my Italian comprehension is better than I think. :-D

DRJ Jan 20th, 2005 05:11 AM

Stay where you wish but go to I Sette Consoli for exceptional dining. Don't miss it.

maitaitom Jan 20th, 2005 10:02 AM

We stayed at La Badia in 2001 and loved it. We have had a number of friends book the hotel over the past few years, and everyone had positive comments. They also have a good restaurant. We ate in the room with the giant oven. We also enjoyed the poolside bar (yeah, what a shock)!
((H))