Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

hotel in naples nr archeological museum... and restaurants...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending a couple nights in Naples in April. Our two main destinations are the archeological museum and the Capodimonte Museum and we want to be relatively convenient to the train station in order to get to Herculaneum and Paestum.

Hotel recommendations? We want something economica but comfortable and not too terribly austere.

And if you have restaurant recommendations, that would be great too: traditional Neapolitan cooking, pizza, family style, nothing fancy, just affordable and good.

Thanks for all your ideas.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 02:22 PM

We are staying here next month:
http://www.hotelpiazzabellini.com/en

Great reviews on trip advisor. Good prices. Close to metro [to get to train station]and museum.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 02:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Lnwyd - you can get to the NAM from the central station [also called stazione Garibaldi] on the metro Line 2, one stop to Via Cavour. the area around the museum is not the best though, so I'm not sure I'd want to stay near there.

We had a very good pizza at the little pizzeria at the top of the road opposite the museum - a huge pizza and a beer for €11 each. There are a few hotels further down that road that might be worth looking at.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 02:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Debit - please come back and tell us how you get on. We walked through the piazza Bellini on our way back to the station via the Spaccanapoli last week and though we felt safe enough sticking to the streets that were well lit, there are a lot that aren't lit at all - we didn't feel that we'd want to be going down them even during the day!

How long are you staying there? in our afternoon there we only had time to see the National museum [our main target] and to walk back to the station, buying a few figures for my "presepe" along the via St Giorgio Armano along the way. So I really want to got back to see San' Chiara, San Sevano, etc.

buon viaggio!
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 04:20 PM

We are there for 2 half days [start and end] and 2 full day but we will do a day trip to Pompeii and another one along the Amalfi Coast. We will go to museum first half day, not sure about last half day yet.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 04:45 PM

I stayed at the hotel piazza Bellini and really enjoyed and it was a great location.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 04:48 PM

Glad to hear that, yipper!
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 04:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We have stayed in this hotel, very near the museum and a few very nice small restaurants. www.costantinopoli104.it/en
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 04:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
P.S. Not in the immediate are, but perhaps a 10/15 minute walk.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 05:38 PM

We stayed in the B&B Medea which is 15-20 minutes walking distance from the Archeological museum and within 5 minutes of the bus line that goes to Capodimonte. Somewhat less convenient for the train station.

I wouldn't mention the B&B if I did not recommend it: http://www.bebmedea.com/

I wrote a trip report that included restaurants; click on my name to find it.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 05:38 PM

I too stayed at the Costananpoli and liked it.
It is next to the Bellini---take your pick.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 06:16 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Piazza Bellini last October for three nights and loved it.

Ann, the streets do look sketchy but we felt perfectly safe during the day, and at night I thought I'd be nervous walking to restaurants but wasn't. There are lots of people around, most of them not sketchy looking. It was fine, of course I did not wear flashy jewellery and used the usual big city precautions.

We hired a local guide one day to give us a walking tour of the historical centre and it was one of the best days of our trip, she showed us things we would have walked right past, she was full of historical facts, tidbits about life in Naples; she gave us a little driving tour in her car as well to some more scenic neighbourhoods.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 06:23 PM

We stayed just south of the Piazza Bellini a year ago in October and loved it. The entire area seemed safe and fun - TONS of people out everywhere, all the time and delicious restaurants. I loved how pizza restaurants and bars would put up a TV in the alley and everyone would gather around to watch the game.

There's graffiti, but I think it's a mistake to conflate that with sketchiness. It's just life in Napoli! We're going back in May.

We stayed here, across from Santa Chiara: http://santachiarasuite.hotelinnapoli.com/

We liked it a lot and are staying there again. Super affordable. The Capidomonte Museum has a remarkable collection of paintings.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 08:19 PM

Lnwyd, thanks for starting this thread. I,too, am interested in the possibility of staying in this part of the city. Sounds like people who've stayed in the area have been pleased with their choices so that's encouraging. I liked the looks of the Costantinopoli 104 but recent reviews have been decidedly mixed. Saw that the Palazzo Decumani (located near the street with the nativity crafts) got a nod in a Recent NYT 36 Hours in Naples article.
Old Mar 1st, 2014, 06:11 PM

We stayed at Hotel a Piazza Bellini and loved it!!! It's just around corner from museum ( which is important to see before going to Pompeii.) and wonderful side street wanderings. I loved the historical centre even though it's crowded and a bit dirty. The buildings and photo opportunities were amazing. Don't be afraid to wander. You will be told it's not safe but we had no problems. Be sure to go to the street where they sell nativity scenes. I regret not buying any of them. Take taxi to area around the galleria umbreto, palace, castle,.... The hotel will call cabs to train or harbor and set a price which helps you not be cheated. Enjoy. Naples and Pompeii were my favorite part of my trip to Italy last summer!