Hotel in Munich and travel to Obertsdorf

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Torbreau in Munich? We plan to spend a couple of nights there after a week in Oberstauffen with a visit to Obertsdorf. We also hope to visit other Bavarian villages (including Berchtesgarden) for hiking and fulfilling fantasies of picturesque picnics, etc. We'll have a car and a place to stay, but look forward to exploring the area. Any suggestions?
By the way, we're renting a car at the Munich airport and just heard that might be the most expensive way to go. ???
Many thanks for any input.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 05:53 AM

I think you mean Oberstdorf, the resort/ski area at the top of the Illertal. I hope you are planning to go into the Kleinwalsertal. It's very picturesque and good for hiking. Go all the way up to Baad, and if the weather is good, have lunch outside at one of the restaurants.

I like Berchtesgaden too, but it is a long way away and there is soo much to see in the Oberallgäu that I don't think I would bother.

You might try driving from Oberstdorf to Füssen via Hindelang, Oberjoch, and Pfronten - all worth a stop. In Pfronten you can hike to the ruins of Faulkenstein, where Ludwig planned to build his last castle.

Also, don't forget Lindau and the Bodensee.

By the way, I have don't that whole area by train and bus. No need for a car.

Old Sep 4th, 2007, 09:20 AM

You will love the Torbreau. Great hotel. I believe it's the oldest hotel in Munich dating to around the 1400s. Of course it is completely modernized now. Excellent breakfasts is included. One interesting thing, on the second or third floor, they have a vending machine that has a slot for a can of beer!! Neat.

Super location.

Don't rent your car at the airport or the train station. There is a large add-on fee plus you don't want a car in Munich. Rent your car on the way out of town. Check with Auto Europe for your car rental.

Curious
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 10:39 AM

We have used Gemutlichkeit Travel Gemut.com to arrange out car rentals. Andy and Bob Bestor, there have been a huge help and they have gotten us a good deal several times. You are right, cars rented at airports or train stations in Germany get an extra 19% added on. Use public transporation in Munich then pick up a car on the way out of town at a lot away from the train station or airport.

The S-Bahn runs from the airport to the center of town so it is easy to get there when you fly in.

If you are staying in Munich at the end of your trip drop the car when you get to town. No penalty for dropping it at airports or train stations. Munich has typical big-city traffic and parking problems and a great public transporation system.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 10:44 AM

I'll give another rave review of the Hotel Torbraeu. We were there for two nights last summer and loved it. Our room was small but gorgeous. Lovely hotel and a nice location on the old town wall, within walking distance of all the Altstadt sights. Friendly service and a great breakfast too.

I have German friends who vacation in Oberstdorf all the time. I haven't been there yet so can't give any suggestions, but I am sure you will have a fabulous visit.

I agree that you won't need a car in Munich (although the hotel does have private parking if you need it); better to pick it up on your way out of the city.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 11:07 AM

Hi Tangier -

I'm not sure about your itinerary, but it looks like you're flying into Munich but going to Oberstauffen and Oberstdorf first. In that case, you're probably going to have to bite the bullet and rent the car at the airport. Alternatively, you could take the S Bahn into Munich and take a train to Kempten and rent a car there, which would probably be relatively inexpensive, but that's a LOT of schlepping. Or you could take the train into Munich and rent one there, but be warned - renting at the train station is a fairly complicated proposition. The rental agencies are in the train station, but the pick-up location is a few blocks south of the train station in a neighborhood, um, you wouldn't otherwise be interested in. Just rent the car at the airport as planned.

Berchtesgaden is spectacular, but I think you'll be very happy just staying in the western part of the Alps. Plenty to do. Beautiful scenery.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your thoughtful replies. I had no idea this site would be such a terrific resource!
We'll definitely take all your suggestions to heart!
Tangier