hotel in London and Brighton day trip

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 09:20 AM
amber

hotel in London and Brighton day trip

Does anyone have any comments on Dolphin Hotel in London? (Hyde Park area)
Also, I'll be taking a day trip out to Brighton. Does anyone have any suggestions of interesting museums, etc. there?
Thanks!

Old Apr 10th, 1999, 02:50 PM
Mark

Hi,

Make sure you take a look at Brighton pavilion, when you visit. As for London hotels - don't know the dolphin but try http://cube.icestorm.com/homepage/london.html for other London hotel ideas.

Old Apr 10th, 1999, 06:50 PM
Marty

On our last trip to London, someone in a pub suggested Brighton to us and we were very glad; it was not something we had thought of. It was a short, pleasant train ride from Victoria station. We stayed all day and took in Brighton Castle. We were sorry we did not have tea there, so keep that in mind. We walked the lanes of Brighton and rambled in the antique shops. We went down to the beach and marveled at the difference between it and our local NC and SC beaches. We had a great, late lunch at an outdoor cafe and caught the train back in time for the dinner and a night out in London. There were three couples of us, and we all would recommend a day at Brighton.

Old Apr 10th, 1999, 09:10 PM
Annalynn

Brighton is a great, fun city, and easily accessible from London. The train ride is only around 50 minutes, is direct, and runs almost every hour.
I spent a year in school at the University of Sussex in Brighton and heartily recommend a day trip there. As others have already metioned, the Pavillion is interesting, and The Lanes are a wonderful place to lose yourself browsing the stores. The very first Body Shop was opened in Brighton, and is located right near The Lanes. The area down by the beach is lots of fun. Its sort of your typical English seaside amusemunt town, but its lots of fun to walk out to the pier.

Depending on how much time you have,I'd also recommend a visit to the town of Lewes. If you take the train from London, you can hop on a communter train, and its about 10 minutes away. Its a wonderful, historical little villagewhere Anne of Cleves lived after she separated from Henry VIII. It has cobblestone streets, an old priory, and is also the hometown of Thomas Paine. Enjoy, and feel free to email me for any more questions on Brigton.

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 12:36 PM
amber

Thanks for all the good advice. It's so nice to hear things from people who know and have been there vs. a book. If I have any more questions I'll know who to ask! Cheers!