Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-in-london-715004/)

upergirl Jun 21st, 2007 10:37 AM

Hotel in London

2 women traveling to London. Need an inexpensive central located hotel near transportation to LHR. Traveling in Sept.

janecg Jun 21st, 2007 11:17 AM

Check out promotion for Kensington Close hotel.

janisj Jun 21st, 2007 12:03 PM

there are hundreds of centrally located hotels near transport in London. What is your budget? "inexpensive" is a relative term - especially in London.

Ahmed Jun 21st, 2007 12:20 PM

Recently have stayed at www.hoxtonhotels.com I think it is very good for the price. Most of their rooms are doubles with few twins. I found it comfortable and my room was quite with AC. Daily free mineral water and small fresh milk in your room. With small healthy breakfast delivered to your room. Free lobby internet and Guardian newspaper. It cost me about 100 pounds a night on average. Check their web and decide yourself .... by comparing with other hotels offers. The area is not the best in London but after few days i got used to it when i found my ways...

pcheesy Jun 21st, 2007 12:21 PM

We stayed at the London County Hall....right at the London Eye. It was very nice, clean and inexpensive. Two retired teachers and we were very pleased. Would stay there again.

Dukey Jun 21st, 2007 12:22 PM

I agree with Janis. On our last trip to London we stayed in a hotel and payed almost $400 a night (yes, Upergirl you can do a LOT better than that) and for us, THAT was "inexpensive" compared to what we have chosen to pay in the past.

janisj Jun 21st, 2007 12:27 PM

there is no "London County Hall" hotel - it was either the Premier Travel Inn County Hall, or the Marriott County Hall (I suspect pcheesy meant the Premier Travel Inn since the Marriott is definitely not a budget property)

Margo_Chester Jun 21st, 2007 12:34 PM

Do some reading at betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com so you can give Priceline a try. Priceline is great for London - you'll get a nicer hotel room for less money than booking traditionally if you do some research so you don't overbid, or bid a zone that is not convenient for you.

jay Jun 21st, 2007 12:37 PM

All good suggestions, but I would seriously recommend Priceline. We got a large room at the 4 star Kensington Tara for 98 per night. It was a super deal.

janisj Jun 21st, 2007 12:41 PM

yes - Priceline is wonderful for London - but w/o upergirl's budget, any recommendations (even PL) are shots in the dark . . . . .

lesliec1 Jun 21st, 2007 12:43 PM

And i got a great room through Priceline at the Hilton Metropole, across the street from 2 underground stations, for $85 a night. That's dollars, not pounds.

pcheesy Jun 21st, 2007 06:16 PM

You are right janisj. Sorry about that. It was a nice hotel and had been recommended here on Fodors.