Hotel in Lisbon for solo female

Aug 27th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Hotel in Lisbon for solo female

Almost done with planning my trip for next month except the hotel in Lisbon. I'll be traveling solo and want to stay somewhere I can feel comfortable going out to a cafe/dinnner at night and also be central. The Baixa area seems like the right spot.
My budget is about 110 euros per night for a single. I like hotels with character versus the type that tour groups stay in. I usually choose 3* and above and definately want a place with an elevator - would be open to staying in a nice pensao also.

The Lisboa Regency Chiado sounds incredible but is out of my price range. I've read good things about the Hotel Lisboa Tejo and it's the "frontrunner" currently. The Metropole is not available for my nights (Oct 2-4).

Any suggestions?

Aug 27th, 2003, 11:55 AM

Cathy,

The Regency Chiado was my choice for an aborted Portugal trip a year ago. My second choice would be the Britania or Lisboa Plaza. By then, I had found good rates for single rooms at the mentioned hotels on Placestostay.com.
Aug 28th, 2003, 11:29 AM

If you're open to a nice pensao, try the Florescente on the pedestrian street Portas do Santo Antao (very close to Rossio and Figueira). Recently renovated with great bathrooms and attractive tiled public areas. I got a huge room on the top floor, two beds, view of the castelo, big windowed tile and marble bathroom with two sinks, for 70 eur. I'm sure you could get a good single for quite a bit less.
Aug 28th, 2003, 02:11 PM

I just re-checked. On

www.placestostay.com

the R. Chiado rates, for Classic rooms is 109,75 Euro. Therefore, within your budget, Cathy.
Aug 28th, 2003, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

surlok,

Regarding the Lisboa Regency Chiado:

I checked the www.placestostay.com site yesterday and although the rooms start at 109 euros a classic room single rate for Oct 2-5 was over 150 euros.

Just rechecked and now there are no rooms available for 3 nights beginning Oct 2.

So, still out of my price range and availability.

Emailed the Lisboa Tejo yesterday and haven't heard back. Have read a little that the area may be spooky at night. Thinking further up Av. de Liber. may be better (Hotel Venezia)?

Any more thoughts?
Aug 28th, 2003, 07:56 PM

Sorry to hear that no classic rooms are available for your dates. Other centrally located hotels in Lisbon are the Metropole and the Mundial. I just checked the rates for the Mundial at hotelclubnet.com and found a rate of 109 Euros for a single room.

The Metropole is currently being sold at the nightly rate of 145 Euro, but in a last minute basis, on the same web site, it costs 109 Euro, too. However, lhe latest availability shown is for Sept. 18/19.

The Tivoli Jardim, as far as location is concerned, another good alternative, is priced 110 Euro on www.orbitz.com for your dates.

The Veneza looks nice, too.

As an alternative, if you don't book anything in the next 15 days, try the Chiado on one of these last minute booking sites. You might find a room at an affordable rate.

Good luck, and have a great time in Lisbon.
Sep 2nd, 2003, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Surlok. I'll take your advice and keep checking the Lisboa Regency Chiado for last minute bookings. It just looks so nice but without someone to share the expense of the room it's too much for me solo.

I can tell the Chiado will be the area of Lisbon I'll really like but can't find any other places to stay there other than the Hotel Borges. Not too sure about the Hotel Borges - one poster said it was a step above a hostel and that's definately not for me.

Think I'll try to book at the Hotel Lisboa Tejo due to the location and keep trying.

Thanks again. Too bad your trip was cancelled - you seem to have put together some good plans.