Hotel in Istanbul

Old Mar 24th, 2018, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Istanbul

We're arriving in Istanbul at 4:30 PM and leaving the following day at 7:00PM. We would like to stay in a hotel not too far from the airport that has a free airport shuttle. We just want to rest and try to get over jet lag and maybe walk a bit. Does anybody have any suggestions? I looked at hotel web sites and they say European side. Does this make a difference? Any ideas would be welcome!
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 10:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
European side means the historic areas and the main business and shopping sections plus the plush areas.
The Asian side is mostly residential and industrial. getting to and from Asian side is not difficult by commuter boats which do not run after 11 PM or via one of the two bridges by uber or cab, making it a costly trip.

Your best bet will be a hotel in or around Sultanahmet. Some will provide airport shuttle, but hotel rates are so low these days that you would either pay high rates with airport shuttle or cheaper without one.

If money is no problem try the Four Seasons, smack in the middle of history, within easy walking distance of Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Basilica cistern, Hippodrome; close to the Grand bazaar, the Egyptian bazaar and Galata Bridge.
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 10:39 AM

There are quite a few travel offices in the Sultanahmet area that advertise low cost shuttle services to the airport. They know when to pick you up for your scheduled flight departure.
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Four seasons is a bit pricey. Any lesser suggestions? How long is the ride from Ataturk to Sultanahmet? About how much should it cost? I really appreciate your input!
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 03:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Your airport transfers are at rush hour, so Ataturk Airport to Sultanahmet could take 30-40 minutes nd the return somewhat longer.

Check the hotels ranked on trip advisor : https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g...ul-Hotels.html
I do not trust TA too much butyou can tell genuine reviews if you spend the time to read a few.

If you have an Uber account you may be able to use Uber. Get Uber XL a nice Mercedes Vito van which is slightly above a taxi price.
I would estimate each way to be about $20-30 in Turkish Lira.

If you take a cab,take one from the regular taxi line up nd not one outside the airport taxi line and make sure they turn the meter on.
Ask your hotel to arrange the return taxi or shuttle.
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 12:45 AM

If you're interested in a v.good budget hotel, then have a look at the Hanedan Hotel in Sultanahmet...

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...-Istanbul.html

No lift though, but the views from the roof-top breakfast and sitting area are as good as they get.

If you want a walk and a short trip on a public ferry, then walk down the hill from Sultanahment, past the train station [excellent free museum] at Sirkeci, to the ferry pontoon at Eminonu, takes about 20 minutes., but you'll want to loiter as you go. Then get a ferry to Kadikoy on the Asian side. The ferry takes about 25 minutes in each direction, and you'll be blown away by the views from start to finish. Kadikoy itself is a very pleasant, vibrant, yet non-touristy place to wander round.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for the ideas and suggestions!
Lancaster Lad, the Hanedan looks good. I think I'll book there. Now I wish I had more time in Istanbul!