Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ostia Antica Decorated Houses + Rome tour times + Spello or Spoleto

Old Mar 19th, 2016, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of questions as I finalize the Rome part of our itinerary and have to book tickets (the underground Colosseum tour almost sold out our dates). Has anyone seen the decorated houses at Ostia Antica? I am thinking of calling to see if we can get on the tour.

Our basic itinerary end of May for 2 active 60-yr-olds, my second trip, his first:

Fri afternoon - arrive FCO, hotel near Opera House. Evening (if energy): Santa Prassede and/or Santa Maria Maggiore facade lit.

Sat: Morning – Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Santa Maria Sopra Minerva, Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiori , Ponte S. Angelo view.
Afternoon - what time book Vatican museum 2:00? 2:30pm? want as late as possible as sime people leave, but enough time to make it to the Chapel. Then St Peters.
Eve - take a scenic bus route or Pincio view or collapse at hotel

Sun: Morn – Ostia Antica (decorated houses 10:30)
After - Appia Antica + Parco degli Aquadotti
Eve - views along river or Aventine Hill or Pincio or collapse

Mon: Morn - Forum area + Victor Emmanuel monument
After - what time to book Colosseum underground & third ring? Is 12:20pm giving enough or too much morning time for Forum? + St Pietro in Vincoli
Eve - Trastevere or whatever missed or ?

Tues: Morn - Borghese Gallery 9-11 (still deciding) or Baths of Diocletian or Palazzo Massimo

I would usually book first each day, then rest free, but my goals are to work around crowds and possible heat, so I going for outside and open areas in the morning and inside and more shady in the afternoon, Vatican later in the day.

Whenever we finish, regional train from Termini to a smaller town for 2 nights + 1 day of walking outside of town. Had chosen Spello, but now leaning toward Spoleto. Opinions welcome.
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 01:48 PM

Spello is charming and only a short distance from Assisi.
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

I think we will avoid Assisi this trip and the hike from Spello to Assisi may be more exercise than we are looking for on this day. Thinking either an aqueduct walk from Spello I read about on a blog or the rail trail from Spoleto. I like the sound of Spello population 9,000 better than 38,000 for a small town break. The town I live in has less than 38,000 population.
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 03:20 PM

We did the aqueduct walk from Spello last May. It's a nice hike with pretty views. Get an early start. It'll likely be pretty hot by the end of May and there's not a lot of shade.

Spello makes for a pleasant stay. Whichever you choose, you can take the train to see the other.
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 03:51 PM

I didn't visit Spoleto, but did stay in Spello two nights at Palazzo Bocci. Absolutely loved Spello and hope to return some day. I was there in mid-Sept and it was basically untouristed. Quiet, charming, beautiful views, lots of flowers. Quite a nice little museum and beautiful church with some great art.

Buon viaggio!
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like my first instinct may have been correct.
Thanks for the tip about lack of shade.
Prefer morning walks anyway.
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 06:19 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Recently spent two weeks in Spello, beautiful and not over run with tourists. Excellent restaurants, lovely people. But VERY steep hills so keep that in mind especially when choosing where to stay. You park outside and drag in.
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

I remember why I was thinking of abandoning Spello.

We are traveling by train and it appears there is one taxi, so just dropping in or catching a train out might take planning and coordination.
I also need to check--late 2015 reports said large infrastructure works in progress not very scenic--hopefully they are complete.