Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Hotel in Florence in April: L'Orologico, Continentale, Hotel Home Florence?

Hotel in Florence in April: L'Orologico, Continentale, Hotel Home Florence?

Feb 10th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Hotel in Florence in April: L'Orologico, Continentale, Hotel Home Florence?

I will be in Florence for my first visit April 16-19, and I'm having trouble deciding on a hotel.
1. I want to be in the city center.
2. Because I will be working part of the time, I need Internet access.
3. I love modern boutique hotels but since this is Florence, I would gladly choose another type if it meets my other needs.
4. I want a comfy bed in a quiet, clean room, and a bath tub would be a plus.
5. Because it is my first trip, excellent desk service, with advice and to book the Uffizi, etc.
6. Because I am a woman traveling alone, I want a hotel in a safe neighborhood where I will be comfortable walking alone at night.

Please, kind Fodor experts, will you guide me in my decision?
I've looked at L'Orologico, Continentale, Antica Torre Tournabuoni, Casci, Hotel Home Florence, and the Art Hotel (sister to Continentale). All have some negative reviews, particularly regarding noise and service, so insights into the best bet will be gratefully received!
Thanks, and forgive newbie errors.
BuffCrone
Feb 10th, 2010, 08:39 PM

High marks for the Casci Hotel. It does fit all of your criteria. I have been there five times so obviously I love it and am partial to it. It might be hard to get a room though (anywhere for that matter) for a single person which includes a bathtub. But you might try reserving a double room (don't know what your budget is) and there are those in Casci which do have a tub and a great big one at that. They have both internet WiFi in the room if you bring your own computer and also a public computer set up in the small lounge for all to use. I doubt you will find friendlier, more helpful and caring people to deal with. They are a small 26 room hotel and the Mom and son run the place, with help from wonderful staff.

Good Luck
May 7th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

I'm back from Rome and Florence and I have to tell you that L'Orologio is the most amazing boutique hotel I've stayed in ANYWHERE. And because it's new, the price was fantastic. Great location, right at the corner of Santa Maria Novella. Architecturally stunning remodel, fantastically comfortable beds and baths (real marble bath tubs) and all the modern conveniences that one expects in a boutique hotel. I cannot recommend it too highly.
May 7th, 2010, 04:42 PM

All of these are city center hotels and you will have street noise. this isn;t a function of the hotel but of any central location. the only way to get around it is a high floor in a high rise hotel with sealed double windows - and I don;t know of any in central Florence - even if you wanted to stay in one.
May 9th, 2010, 06:38 PM

We've booked the L'Orologico for early September. I would like to contact them to have them arrange museum tours. I can't find a website. Do they have one???
May 10th, 2010, 09:03 PM

safe neighborhood, comfortable, Internet access, boutique hotel, quiet, clean room, and with bath tub: hotel-florence.net is not in the city but quite near to the brand new railway scandicci-florence that can get you into the town in ten minutes

Search this Thread