Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel in Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-in-florence-242316/)

Ira Jul 23rd, 2002 04:26 AM

Hotel in Florence

Hi<BR> I have been told that there are a number of small hotels in the vicinity of the train station at reasonable rates.<BR><BR> Any recommendations about the area, or particular hotels would be appreciated. <BR><BR> My wife and I are in our sixties. We expect to be in Florence in late September.<BR><BR> Thank you

Debbie Jul 23rd, 2002 07:07 AM

Ira, Walking around the train station in florence at night was one of the few times I have found myself nervous while traveling alone. There is no doubt though that the rooms are less expensive and as a couple it might not bother you at all. I know people have brought this subject up before but it seems like it has been a while. I would try a couple different searches such as "train station" "Florence" etc. Good luck.

xxx Jul 23rd, 2002 07:16 AM

I wouldn't stay near the train station. Although I wouldn't necessarily worry about my safety, it is very seedy. Just not a real picturesque area when you're walking back to the hotel after a nice dinner.<BR><BR>There are hotels throughout the city with decent rates.

Marj Jul 23rd, 2002 07:58 AM

A very decent, reasonable hotel, more conveniently located is Hotel Casci. Check it out, www.hotelcasci.com.

Dianne Jul 23rd, 2002 08:10 AM

Though not budget but reasonably priced, the Beacci Tornabuoni is also conveniently located. We've stayed twice and wouldn't think about anywhere else when in Florence. Ask for a room on the back side of the hotel, no street noise. www.bthotel.it

dan woodlief Jul 23rd, 2002 10:41 AM

We stayed at Hotel Elite, just around the corner from Santa Maria Novella last October. The area around the station is not the best, but I didn't find it that bad, especially since our hotel was around $65 a night. The room was newly painted and furnished it seemed, and it included a shower. The bathroom was just down the hall, and it was never occupied. The hotel only has a few rooms and generally had one attendant during the day and one at night. The woman working during the day was very friendly and spoke great English. The guy working at night liked to play his tv a little loud until around 10:00-11:00, but he was friendly enough and spoke decent English. You can reach the center of the historic area in no more than 10-15 minutes by foot. There are several restaurants around, but we always ate elsewhere.<BR><BR>You do have to go up a couple of flights of stairs to the hotel and then another to the rooms, but it isn't bad without a lot of luggage.<BR><BR>You won't see this hotel mentioned on the Web very often, but I found it in Rick Steves and Frommers. It may not be as good as the Belletini, Casci, and several other hotels mentioned on here (they were booked when I tried), but it is a real bargain, and I would stay there again if on a budget.

bob Jul 23rd, 2002 12:24 PM

I am staying at the Hotel il Bargellino (Web site:www.ilbargellino.com )in late Sept. I got the tip out of the book "Cheap Sleeps In Italy" Price is $67/ nt. I obviously don't know much about the hotel but Carmel the owner, an expatriate from Boston has e-mailed me several times, and she has been very helpful.<BR>The hotel is a couple of blocks east of the station, and since my wife and I are in our 70's I think it may be a good location for walking from the station<BR><BR>Bob

Ira Jul 24th, 2002 07:21 AM

Thank you all for your postings.<BR><BR> Ira

paul Jul 24th, 2002 07:29 AM

we liked the hotel machiaveli. nice easy walk from train station but away from the seediness. nice rooms excellent breakfast.