Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel in Edinburgh (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-in-edinburgh-1169558/)

yestravel Dec 20th, 2016 02:22 PM

Hotel in Edinburgh

Looking for a hotel recommendation for 2 nights in Edinburgh this Spring. Would like to keep the price under £150 ($180) and being centrally located for sightseeing. Any suggestions?

maitaitom Dec 20th, 2016 02:30 PM

Thank YT...I was going to ask the same question (: ...Kim, Mary, Tracy and I will be there Memorial Day weekend.

(H))

yestravel Dec 20th, 2016 02:53 PM

Will miss you by a week. I'll look forward to any recs you make:)

wjm457 Dec 20th, 2016 05:31 PM

I have stayed at the Premier Inn on Princes Street and the Motel One near Waverly Station. Both are reasonably priced, clean, and well located. I would give Motel One the nod for location.

cmcfong Dec 20th, 2016 05:42 PM

We rented a two bedroom apartment at Knight's Residence and were very pleased.
http://hotel-rn.com/hw/a203794/index.htm?lbl=ggl

Fodorite018 Dec 20th, 2016 06:39 PM

It's been years, but we stayed at the Jury's Inn. The location was ideal and the price very reasonable.

basingstoke2 Dec 20th, 2016 08:08 PM

We stayed in a B&B called "14 Hart" and can recommend it with enthusiasm. Here is a description of the place from my TR:

14 Hart Street – Another gem. I have paid 5 quid to visit homes that did not match up to 14 Hart. This B&B is elegant, and artistically decorated with lovely antiques, beautiful prints on the walls, and fine plasterwork. Everything about 14 Hart reflects a refined taste. Sleeping rooms are semi below ground level. Ours was bright and had character with a fireplace, an antique marquetry fireplace screen and a very pleasant view of the garden. In contrast to the traditional decor of the sleeping room, the bathroom was large and very modern with a tower shower that I wish I had at home. The bed was comfortable with quality linens. Towels were of the best quality. Our room greeted us with a decanter of scotch and bottles of both red and white wine, an assortment of biscuits, as well as a welcoming note from the hosts - a different touch that was appreciated. Our hosts were still at school teaching and they arranged for a gentleman to get us settled - he asked if we would care for an early afternoon cuppa and brought fresh milk. It was altogether a brilliant place to spend four nights.

14 Hart is in a New Town residential neighborhood chock full of restaurants and pubs. We particularly enjoyed the food at the nearby Urban Angel. It is an easy walk to both the Waverly train station and an even shorter walk to the bus station. Princes Street was a pleasant ten minute walk, and the Royal mile about another 5-10 uphill minutes past that.

giro Dec 20th, 2016 08:39 PM

We recently stayed at the Premier Inn on Prines St. and can also recommend. If you decide to stay there, request a room on an upper floor facing the castle; we did and the view was spectacular!

We had also looked at 14 Hart as friends had stayed there. My recollection was that is was over budget. I.e. Over $180.

basingstoke2 Dec 21st, 2016 06:18 AM

<<We had also looked at 14 Hart as friends had stayed there. My recollection was that is was over budget. I.e. Over $180.>>

I do not believe that is correct - in fact I think it could well be under budget. It would pay for the OP to check with specific dates if interested. It is a terrific place.

yestravel Dec 21st, 2016 09:52 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm checking into them.

On the website for 14 Hart it states
"Average price of £90 per night with full breakfast, according to season and length of stay"
I've sent off to see the price when we will be there.

carolyn Dec 21st, 2016 01:56 PM

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on Cowgate, a block off the Royal Mile. It is within walking distance of Waverley Station (but over cobblestones if you are pulling luggage) and is very convenient for sightseeing. There is an alley right beside it that goes through to the RM.

yestravel Dec 22nd, 2016 05:52 AM

Thanks all for the suggetions. I decided to go with 14 Hart St. The rate is £140 per night.

yestravel Jun 5th, 2017 10:53 PM

Thanks for the recommendation for 14 Hart St. It's as lovely as you describe, basingstoke. We obviously had a different room than you as our bathroom while modern was minuscule. Owners are delightful and neighborhood nice. Our room was in the back and under the kitchen so we were somewhat bothered by noise early in the am.