Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel in Dublin with car parking? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-in-dublin-with-car-parking-802696/)

RachaelWest33 Aug 24th, 2009 05:16 AM

Hotel in Dublin with car parking?

I have a tad bit of a problem, we rented a car for our whole Ireland trip... Many people say that I shouldn't have the car while in Dublin... its already paid for so now onto plan B: Does anyone have hotel suggestions with car parking? We would like to stay close to town but want to make sure that the car parking doesn't cost us 20 euros a day!

Thanks in advance!

jaja Aug 24th, 2009 08:28 AM

Depending on whom you rented the car from, you may be able to cancel and get a full refund and then start over. I did this with Kemwel this spring.

RachaelWest33 Aug 24th, 2009 11:57 AM

It was part of our package, so even if I decline the car its already paid for... it sucks but I am stuck.

pastyp Aug 25th, 2009 01:25 AM

My recommendation would be to stay in an outlying hotel that is along the DART (suburban commuter rail line). You have lots of options of very nice towns to stay in along this line including south side - Dun Laoighre, Killiney - North Side Howth, Malahide. The DART, from the towns listed would take maximum 25-30 minutes to get you into the centre of the city. The DART is not expensive and very regular - about every 15 minutes.

In order to give you hotel recommendations let me know your price range/star rating. Hotels in these towns (as they are out of the city) would have free parking for guests.

RachaelWest33 Aug 25th, 2009 05:15 AM

We would like to stay somewhere nice, but under $120 USD a night would be nice.

pastyp Aug 25th, 2009 06:18 AM

Hi RachelWest33,

I'd only recommend hotels to you that I have stayed in or had guests stay in while visiting. Two are within your price range (not knowing the time of year you are travelling). These are both very comfortable hotels and in a good location for you to access the DART and visit Dublin.

Sutton Cross North Dublin - Marine Hotel. This is a very good hotel with good facilities, swimming pool, good and lively bar scene and good restaraunt - and the all important free parking. It is also right on the beach and has wonderful views across Dublin bay. This hotel is offering really expceptional rates at the moment for B&B. I have had visitors stay here and they were very happy with the experience.
Sutton Cross DART station is a 10 minute walk away. The DART would take 15 minutes approx to get into the city centre from here. The pretty fishing village of Howth is a short 10 minute drive away and has a harbour and a good selection of restaraunts. There are other good options in Howth and Malahide, but not within the price range. You could also consider B&Bs in the area.

The other suggestion is the Royal Marine hotel in Dun Laoighre. There seems to be a Marine theme here!?!? This hotel was a bit warn and tired but they renovated it recently and are offering good rates depending on the time of year. I again had family stay here and they were very happy with their stay. Breakfast along with the room rate might push this out of your price range though. The DART station is a 15 min walk from the hotel and it would take 10-15 minutes to get into the city centre. Dun Laoighre is a very pretty town -again right on the coast with a large pretty port area(but at the opposite end of Dublin from Sutton/Howth).
Again there are other options in the area but the good ones are a bit more expensive. Again try B&B.

What ever hotel you choose I think the idea of staying outside the city centre at a hotel witin walking distance of the DART line is the answer to your question. There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks on this forum that may be able to give you their first hand experience of hotel stays in these areas and in turn give you more options.

Good luck and enjoy your visit.

arindasue Aug 25th, 2009 07:07 AM

Just a thought...perhaps the rental company you are using would let you park it there for a few days while you are in Dublin. Public transport is very easy in Dublin. You could then pick it up when you are ready to leave. That way you would have the option of staying right in the city if you wanted to.