Reload this Page >

1st time in London....

Search

1st time in London....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 07:13 AM
Karen

1st time in London....

My husband and I are planning on going to London in November for the first time. What area should we stay in? Any nice hotel/restaurant recommendations as well as advice on where to go and what to see would be greatly appreciated. Will it be colder than New York? Thanks for all you help!

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 07:31 AM
Carol

Hi Karen: <BR> <BR>There is lots of information on this board about London. Do a search on various topics, such a "hotels in London", "restaurants in London", etc. <BR> <BR>But first, think about how much you want to spend on a room. That will help narrow things down. <BR> <BR>And after you've done a search, if you haven't found what you're looking for, another post will probably get your questions answered. <BR> <BR>And yes, London will be cold. Check out the weather site: www.wunderground.com for historical weather in London. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip! <BR>Carol <BR>

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 08:57 AM
Henry

Karen,I have gone to London as late as the 1st week of November and the weather was fine.Sweater or jacket during the day.I don't know if this is typical.For resturants I like Rules,Ivy and Belgo is fun.Enjoy.

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 10:21 AM
Brian in Atlanta

My wife and I went last November over Thanksgiving, and it was COLD. We were woefully ill-prepared for windy days in the 30s, but would have been fine with heavy coats. We were told that we had happened by during a cold snap, so it's probably not always that cold. <BR> <BR>We stayed out near Earl's Court, and would have preferred to be a bit closer in, but we were using Hilton Honors points so were limited in our choices (if you have any hotel points to use, use them in London as hotels are expensive). <BR> <BR>We found the Picadilly area VERY crowded (it was hard to find spots on the sidewalk). <BR> <BR>Hampton was a very nice respite from the city center and had lots of great pubs/shops/restaurants. <BR> <BR>We enjoyed the Tower of London. <BR> <BR>There are some great pubs on the south side of the river. <BR> <BR>We found some very good and surprisingly inexpensive restaurants in the Earl's Court area. This was the one plus to staying outside of the city center. <BR> <BR>Have a great time (just dress warmly).

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 12:52 PM
Kim

Hi Karen - My husband and I just returned from London 9/18/99. <BR> <BR>We stayed in South Kensington (right next to Earl's Court) and found it to be wonderful. There were two tube stations very close by (Glouchester and Earl's Court) - if you're staying for a more than a couple of days to a week, you'll definitely want to purchase a transportation pass for the tubes and busses. A zone 1 pass (most all sights are in zone 1) cost 15 pound - saves a lot of money, as you can use the bus or tube as often as you want each day. <BR> <BR>We can VERY highly recommend The Derby Hotel on Cromwell Road. The hotel has been open for 1 year, although it is in a historic building. It is true that hotels are very expensive in London, especially with the conversion rate. Either a standard room or a suite at The Derby is lovely. <BR> <BR>We got a special price for staying 6 nights - be aware that for anything less than 90 pound a night you'll stay in a dump. My husband wanted to stay around 70 pound a night and I did find a hotel (I use the term loosely) for 69 pound over the Internet -- The Stuart Hotel -- and it was a DUMP. We stayed there only 1 night, sleeping on top of the covers, until we could find another! We then found The Derby and it was heavenly, plus they have a wonderful included breakfast in the morning (hard boiled eggs, meat, cereal, rolls, fruit, etc.). The continental breakfast offered at other hotels is often just bread, juice, and coffee. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful trip - we loved London and hope to return in a few years! Feel free to email me directly if you have any questions or want further info on the Derby (I have their website address at home).

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 01:01 PM
Neal Sanders

Karen, my wife and I were in London over Thanksgiving two years ago and found it a delightful place to be at that time of year. The stores are decorated for Christmas and, in my opinion anyway, it’s even a better display than Manhattan. The weather will be a little cooler and damper than New York; in the 40s pretty much all of the time with the sun setting by 5 p.m. On that trip, we had a day of rain, a day of mist, and three days of bright and cheerful but cool weather. <BR> <BR>London is not a city full of hotel bargains, but for, say, $250 a night, you can have a nice room in a nice part of London. My first choice for a first-timer would be Mayfair, which is arguably the most beautiful district of London, as well as the most centrally located. Check some of the various hotel web sites and look for the Mayfair address (W1). If price is no object, try the Grovesnor House. I have stayed there on business and consider it a superb place to stay both from comfort and ease of getting around. Our most recent stay was at the Beaufort, 33 Beaufort Gardens in Knightsbridge. It is a small hotel created from adjoining townhouses. The rooms are wonderfully decorated; our small suite, including breakfast, was about $300 a night. <BR> <BR>London has some of the world’s best museums, including the National Gallery, the Tate, the British Museum and the Victoria and Albert. While I have not been back since the British Museum’s Document Room was moved to new quarters in a new national library building, the new facility is worth tracking down just to see the objects on display. The exhibits rotate, but you will likely find such things as a surviving copy of the Magna Carta, a manuscript of Jane Austen’s “Pride and Prejudice” in her own hand, or a draft of “Penny Lane” with lots of crossouts and side notes. There are also a number of smaller, more focused museums, the best of which is the Courtauld Collection. It’s worth a visit just to see Manet’s Bar at the Folies Bergere. You could spend all of your time just at museums, but then you’d miss all of the shopping and the history. Harrods in Knightsbridge a must-see, the line-up of department stores along Oxford Street recalls New York when there was still a B. Altmans and a Gimbels. Regent Street has Wembley’s, a toy store that can give FAO Schwarz a run for its money, and Liberty, which is a joy just to walk around in. If you want something you’ll not find in New York, go to the London Silver Vaults, a collection of stores selling silver goods. They’re located on Chancery Lane near High Holborn Street. The displays are knock-your-socks-off beautiful; the prices will take your breath away. <BR> <BR>The history that surrounds you in London is seldom more than a short stroll away. Save one of the bright, clear days to explore Westminster Abbey, Parliament, the Admiralty, etc. I love London and will invent any excuse to go there, and yet I never tire of exploring the city’s historical nooks and crannies. To save wear and tear on the feet, figure out an itinerary in advance. <BR> <BR>Restaurants are a matter of individual taste. London is loaded with good ones; what kind of food are you interested in? There are a number of resident Londoners who visit this board; they can probably provide a more current guide than can I. You’ve picked a great city to visit; enjoy your stay. <BR>

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 02:39 PM
steve

Karen: My wife & I have been twice in November in recent years (when the fall airline price wars begin in earnest). <BR>I don't have our hotel info in front me, but we stayed both times in the general vicinity of Bloomsbury Park (??). Sorry if my spelling & memory are inaccurate. <BR>The hotel we had reservations for the 1st trip was a dump. <BR> <BR>After getting our Underground weekly pass at Victoria Station (photo required; they have one of those little booths), we walked a few blocks and found a nicer (but more expensive place). Asked for a weekly discount & got it (about 20% off daily rate). Sorry, can't remember name of hotel. <BR> <BR>Second trip, we took the kids and my mother and stayed at Cartwright Hotel, about 5-6 blocks from Bloomsbury. We found it in a book called "Small Hotels of London" or something like that. Look for it in your bookstore. There are 5-6 other small hotels in the $70-75/night range (96/97 prices) on the same, short, semicircular street. If you have a map, you can see the street easily. Again, the name escapes me. Clean, refurbished, but nothing luxurious. Fish & chips place nearby was great. Also near an Underground stop (3-4 blocks). It was damp and chilly but not cold in Nov-96. After walking all day, drinking a pint or two, riding the Underground, etc., as long as the hotel room was bright, clean, and warm, we didn't care. And they served beans with breakfast! <BR>

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 03:42 PM
Kimberly

Karen-- <BR> <BR>On my trip to London, I stayed close to Victoria station (about a two-minute walk from my B&B). There are plenty of B&B's in that area. My room cost about $60 US/night(40 British pounds),included a full bath and was not a dump by any means. I'm not sure what kind of budget you are on, but there are nice places in London, though while not cheap, certainly cost less than $300/night. <BR>The tube pass is definitely worth it. Staying so close to Victoria station, I had all of London at my fingertips. Two more beautiful areas (but both outside of the city proper) are Hampstead and Greenwich. Harrod's is not to be missed (especially the food courts)! Feel free to email me if you have any more questions. London is a charming city, so enjoy yourselves!

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 05:12 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Geez. I goofed again. I meant "Hampstead" not Hampton.

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 01:55 PM
Rob

We stayed at the Stanley House hotel near Victoria station. Yeah, not quite up to our US standards but it was clean and nicely located. We paid 55pounds cash. My wife found it in the "Rough Guide". I would suggest pub grub most of the time. Depends on what you're there for. Might check my webpage at /home.pacbell.net/rimerson <BR>

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 08:44 PM
david

your inquiry was about "nice hotels". by all means spend $250-$300 a night if you want. we were in London in May and stayed at the Swiss House Hotel B&B for 75-85lb for a double. it was approx 12 room hotel, very quaint. it was located in South Kensington on old Brompton Road. great neighborhood. For us, staying in such a small clean well kept hotel was so much nicer than being in a big american style hotel. it added to our feel of being in Britain. <BR>ps: it certainly wasnt a dump.

Old Sep 23rd, 1999, 08:39 AM
jim

i don't know your finances, but recommendations at $250-300/night are out of my price range. i know london is expensive, but there are cheaper places. actually, i booked at the travel inn--county hall near buckingham palace for october after reading rave reviews here and in the washington post. do a search on "travel inn" and check out the comments. it's apparently a new hotel and only about $110/night.

Old Sep 23rd, 1999, 08:40 AM
jim

correction--the travel inn is on the thames, near parliament, waterloo station.

Old Sep 23rd, 1999, 11:06 AM
dave higginson

I TRAVEL TO LONDON ALL THE TIME. IN FACT HAVE DONE FOR MANY YEARS AND THE TRAVEL INNS ARE BY FAR THE BEST VALUE IN TOWN. THEY COST 59 POUNDS STERLING WHICH IS 70/75 DOLLARS PER NIGHT.THERE ARE THREE TRAVEL INNS IN CENTRAL LONDON.E MAIL ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT EACH LOCATION I HAVE THE PHONE NUMBERS OF EACH OF THEM OR A CENTRAL NUMBER IF OF ANY USE TO YOU . ALSO ANYTHING ELSE YOU WANT TO KNOW REGARDING THIS GREAT CITY. <BR>REGARDS DAVE HIGGINSON

Old Sep 23rd, 1999, 05:02 PM
Martha

Karen - <BR> <BR>I was in London in June and thought it was cold! I stayed in the Belgravia area - close to Victoria Train Station which is very convenient. Check out the website allthingsbritish.com. It has links to everything, including the weather. Be prepared to walk - it's a wonderful place to explore by foot. <BR>martha <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 25th, 1999, 03:11 AM
BA Bird

Have been to London twice and stayed both trips at the Park Court Hotel in Kensington area at Lancaster Court. Preparing for my 3rd trip in November and thought I might be adventuresome and try another hotel...but price and amenities and neighborhood of Park Court is hard to beat. So I am off to Park Court again. They have special for 2 nites stay with breakfast around $160/nite. Have found hotel always clean and courteous staff. Primarily tourist oriented but directly across from Hyde Park and lovely neighborhood with metro stop steps away.