Hotel Hints for Paris, Nov.21 trip?

Sep 7th, 2001, 05:33 AM
Kathy

Hotel Hints for Paris, Nov.21 trip?

Anyone want to share there ideas for a Paris Hotels. I want to be centrally located of course and in an area that I can walk around late into the evening without fear. Will be traveling Nov21-25. I want to spend about 100. per night. I was thinking I should shoot for the first arrondisement. Anyone have any other area or hotel suggestions?

Sep 7th, 2001, 05:41 AM
DD

Hello. I am going on the 15th. Cool. I am looking at Hotel Bonaparte and Hotel Les MArronniers. Bonaparte is closer to your price range. I always stay in the St. Germaine de Pres are because I travel alone and walking is safe there. Plus there's alot going on closeby without tons of taxiing. I stayed once at Hotel des Cannettes - very cheap - 20 rooms-no english - no atmosphere- but clean and safe. I really like the rue Jacob. It's beautiful.

I go once a year for shopping. I have a question too. I saw a comment that the rooms in Hotel Bonaparte smell like cigarette smoke. IS that true?

Sep 7th, 2001, 05:46 AM
Kathy

I think you should make a post DD for that question that is a good heads up. You know the French smoke a fair bit. I am going alone also. Last year I went to Milan for shopping as was blown away by what I found. I only found most stuff by using the born to shop guide. How about you? What have you found and how? I don't even know what to buy French. I really love Italian clothes. Do tell.

Sep 7th, 2001, 05:58 AM
Peg

I stayed at the Hotel Bonaparte in Feb and enjoyed it very much. Mme Dumas and staff were delightful and I did not detect any smoke odor in my room (but it can happen).If you are traveling alone, request one of the larger rooms (double) for 620 FF (breakfast included). The singles for 510 are a little small and dreary. I think you would be happier paying a little more for a really nice room. If you don't mind small and like charm, the little room #29 on the top floor with stone walls and ceiling beams is cute! Have a great trip! Peg

Sep 7th, 2001, 07:07 AM
Kathy

Thanks Peg great to get an actually room recommendation. Did you have a veiw and what arrondisement is this in?

Sep 7th, 2001, 08:11 AM
Holly

I highly recommend staying in the 5th and 6th Arrondisements. They are delightful areas that I felt very safe in, having gotten lost at midnight and wandered for hours, it was great. I recommend 3 star hotels if possible. I do not recommend Hotel St Christophe. On my last trip I had made reservations for myself and some friends, when we got there they switched the type of room from a a triple, to 3 singles. It was very frustrating. I have been to Paris 4 times and love the city. I hope you enjoy it as well. It is a beautiful city.

Sep 7th, 2001, 09:02 AM
elaine

Hi Kathy
I've been to Paris both solo and with others, and I've very often stayed on the right bank in the 1st, and enjoyed it. But I have to agree that for a first time, and a solo traveler, the 5th or 6th would probably me more convenient. Not just for sightseeing--other arrondissments like the first are also convenient for sightseeing. But for a wide choice of cafes and restaurants, esp in the budget price range, the 5th and 6th can't be beat.
I have a file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me.

Sep 7th, 2001, 09:15 AM
Kathy

Thanks for the file idea Elaine but I can't accept on this computer. Oh I am so happy for this trip. Thanks again.

Sep 7th, 2001, 10:03 AM
DD

Hello Gang. Kathy. I speak pretty good French and I think that helps a lot. Once I had a vietnamese seamstress and a salesclerk who only spoke french - working between them to alter my suit gave me a heaping dose of french 101. I act French. I watch the french ladies and use the same voice tone, same greetings etc they use. It works. I shop in the St. Germaine area and just buy what I like. Do get things altered there - they are fantastic. I have even had some place make things for me in three or four days. The extra money it costs is worth it- the clothes last forever. Buy accessories there. Watch for the upcoming trends cause honey they start in Paris.

It's really really fun . I'm still conflicted on the hotel. I just emailed a bunch of requests and I'm letting them prepare their best prices since I'll be there for 11 days. Maybe we can meet up there. Where are you from?

Sep 7th, 2001, 10:15 AM
Kathy

I traveled last year to Milan for clothes shopping. This can be a pretty anonymous forum, mind telling us your costs in tailoring and what you had done? Sounds fun if we are not talking Armani prices. I am totally fixed on Italian clothes so if you can share your French sense of fashion let me know. But I will need shop names also since I am a first timer.

Sep 7th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Maureen Warren

Kathy check out the March 2001 issue of Traveller (published by National Geographic) there is a 10 page article on small boutique hotels for under $100. a night. The article is detailed and includes lots of pictures.