Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche (Paris) - 4 in triple room OK?

Nov 3rd, 2005, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Our family of 4 will be in Paris for 3 nights in early July 2006 (following 3 nights in Rome, a 12 day Mediterranean cruise, and prior to 5 night in London). Our kids will be 11 and 15 next summer. This will be our 1st trip to Europe.

After several days of research, the Henri IV looks great. They can accomodate us in a triple room, adding one extra bed in the room. For those of you who have stayed there, is there adequate space in the their rooms to do this? If I confirm this reservation, is there a particular room # I should request?

What else can you tell me about this hotel? Is this a good location (in terms of proximity to places families with kids would go)? Are there lots of small shops and moderately priced (but very good) restaurants in the area? Is the hotel located on a nice street? How quiet is it at night?

We have been considering the 6th arrondissement, the Marais area, as well as the Latin district. Is the Latin Quarter the best choice for us? The price seems fine to us - 182 Euros per night. Should we consider other hotel options... maybe ones that include breakfast?

Thanks so much!

Carole
Nov 3rd, 2005, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

ttt...

Anyone familiar with this hotel?

Thx!
Nov 3rd, 2005, 06:55 PM

We (husband and I) stayed here in September and really loved it. We were in a twin-bedded room facing the street, with a super view of beautiful St. Severin church and the gargoyles. The room was fine, plenty roomy for the two of us. I can't comment about their triple rooms, since we didn't see one.

Really liked the area. Easy to walk everywhere. Only a block from the Seine and Notre Dame. Easy access to both the metro and the RER. No lack of places to eat. You're also very close to Blvd St. Germain and all it has to offer.

Even though we were facing very busy Rue St. Jacques, the noise never bothered us. Windows are double-glazed and do a remarkable job of muffling street noise.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel. We plan to stay there again next time we go to Paris.

Have you checked out all the reviews on Trip Advisor? You'll find very few negative things said and everything is laid out for you very well. Their website is completely accurate also.

I wouldn't bother with the breakfast. Too expensive for what you get.
Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Catfancier. I sent them an email asking if we can get a room on the top floor with a nice view. I'll see what they say, and most likely fax a credit card number to hold the room tomorrow.

Do you have any specific restaurant recommendations in the area?

Thanks again!
Nov 4th, 2005, 12:43 AM

cawhite, we also stayed there for a week in September and loved it. The rooms can vary quite a bit in size; they are not all uniform. Just be sure to request the largest triple they have, since there will be 4 of you.

Within walking distance of the hotel (15 min.), we ate at the following restaurants that we would return to:

La Reine Blanche, 30 rue Saint-Louis en L'ile, 01 46 33 07 87. Open 7 days. They offer a fixed menu for €19.50 for 2 courses, and you can choose the 2 from the appetizer, main course, and dessert. There is also a 3-course menu for a little more, maybe €25. Small place, great staff, I'd phone for a reservation. Just up the street back towards Notre Dame is Amorino, an excellent taste of Italian gelato in Paris. Or try the famous Berthillon, also on the same street.

Brasserie Balzar is a classic Parisian restaurant with a devoted clientele. It is always packed and you need a reservation. We found it fascinating to watch the efficient waitstaff and the mostly local customers. It's also open 7 days. 01 43 54 13 67. 49, rue des écoles.

Le Gueuze is a very casual place with sidewalk tables. They specialize in huge bowls of mussels with a side of fries, the famous "moules-frites." But they have a full menu and everything was good -- the mussels were fabulous. It's on the rue Soufflot, between the Boulevard St Michel and the Pantheon. Sorry I don't have the address, but I can tell you exactly how to walk there from the Henri IV!

Also, the staff at the hotel is extremely helpful and will make restaurant reservations for you.
Nov 4th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Marilyn.

I appreciate all the great info. The hotel contact said there is one triple room that has a view of Saint Severin church... but that room is not as large as 3 other triple rooms they have toward the back of the hotel. So it looks like if we want a triple (and still be able to fit an extra bed in), we won't be able to get that wonderful view. I'm thinking we should still stay there anyway.

Any other thoughts out there?

Carole
Nov 4th, 2005, 02:19 PM

When we checked in we looked at two rooms -- one really spacious for a Paris hotel room, but in the back, and the other really tiny but in the front with a view. We choose the roomy one, since we were there for a week, and we never regretted the choice.
Nov 4th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Marilyn... we are going to ask for one of the larger rooms in the back.