Hotel Help on the Almalfi Coast

Jun 25th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Hotel Help on the Almalfi Coast

I am planning a trip to the almalfi coast and capri in August. 3 nights in each place but I don't know where to stay along the almalfi coast. What town do you recommend? We are more the lounge around the pool type people and then out to rest/bars at night so we want a good pool scene and authentic Italian restaurants, any suggestions?

Thanks!
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:10 PM

Without knowing your budget, it sounds like you would appreciate the following: Positano -- Le Sirenuse, Anacapari -- Ceasar Augustus
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the message bluefin...i should have mentioned $$$. I would like to spend $250 - $300/night, in august that means a 4 star but problem is I don't know if I should go for a 4 star in Positano or will I get more for my money in another town?

Thanks again
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:14 PM

Personally, I'd go for 4 nights in Positano and 2 nights in Capri. But with the limited time you have until August, I'd book any decent place with a pool in a hurry.

Although you might find something more affordable in Sorrento, I would choose Positano and Ravello over it for a relaxing vacation. Ravello is a fairly quiet village up in the clouds that offers amazing views. Positano is a stunning gem of a town...it's breathtaking when you take the curve in the road and peer down for the first time at this magical place. Just awesome...no matter how many pictures you've seen. Sorrento has a very appealing historic center, but it's a sprawling CITY. But it would serve you better for rest/bars at night you seek.

Though Amalfi has a terrific resort, Santa Caterina, I don't believe it offers much else in elegant accomodations. Praiano has a few resorts with pools (Grand Hotel Tritone and Tramonto d'Oro) you might want to check out, and there's the Onda Verde that ira rec'd. It doesn't have a pool but it's right there at the water.

For 4* hotels in Positano with a pool, check out the Poseidon, Eden Roc and Covo de Saraceni which is right at the beach. Those resorts should just barely fit into your budget. If not, also check out the 3* Villa Franca which is higher up and accordingly has better views.

In Ravello, I stayed at the charming Villa Maria, which doesn't have a pool but you can use the one at its sister resort, Hotel Giordano. There are rooms that meet your budget at the Palazzo Sasso, 5* hotel with pool, but they won't come with ocean views. And Ravello has very little nightlife to speak of.

Check out Capri resorts at capri.net. One 4* hotel that might meet your budget and has gotten a lot of raves here is the Hotel Mamela. But do check the rates at the CA I mentioned earlier, because it has a fabulous infinity pool with terrific views.

Hope this helps!!!
Jun 26th, 2003, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your reply. I just booked the trip. We are staying for 4 nights at the Posideo in Positano (I think I spelled it wrong) and 2 nights in Capri (Still working on the hotel. Thanks again for your help!
Jun 26th, 2003, 04:22 PM

Hi Alex,

We stayed at the Poseidon two summers ago, and loved the hotel, but I think you should know that the "pool" there is really more like a large bathtub. Guests would dip in the pool, and then quickly return to their chairs for drinks. There was a lively scene poolside because it's close to the restaurant, but it is probably not the kind of pool you're thinking of.

Also wanted to mention that some of the cheaper rooms at Poseidon can be pretty cramped. We managed to peek in while the maid was cleaning one day, and were surprised at its smallness.

So what did we like about the place? Well, we had a jr. suite, so what's not to like? The staff was incredibly helpful, and the food and views at the restaurant, especially at lunch, were out of this world.

Hope you enjoy Positano as much as we did! We're headed back in July, but this time to Sorrento/Capri with the kids.

Ciao!
Jun 27th, 2003, 09:14 PM
840Ci

Last September we stayed 5 nights on the Amalfi Coast at the Belvedere (see Red Michelin). It was a 10 minute drive to the nearest town but the location is spectacular and the pool incredible.
The hotel is perched 5-600 feet above the sea on the edge of a cliff. All the rooms have huge panoramic viws. The large pool is TWO elevator rides down the cliff and seems suspended in air over the sea still a few hundred feet below. Steps from there do allow sea entry if you want the climb back up. There is friendly pool side service. The hotel very nice but not 5*****. Great restaurants nearby.

Aug 29th, 2003, 10:00 AM
ira

Hi
If you go to www.google.com and enter "Palazo Sasso" you will find their website.
Aug 29th, 2003, 10:26 AM

We loved Le Agavi in Positano. It was high up on the hillside and had great views. Nice pool area.....but wouldn't you rather swim in the tantalizing Mediterranean? Good restaurant as well. (BTW, my sister stayed at Le Sirenuse and loved it.) But since you already booked Positano.....

Capri: We stayed at the Hotel Europa Palace on Anacapri. It was divine. It will take your breath away. When we first got there, they offered to upgrade us to a junior suite with our own private pool. (Not a plunge pool mind you, but a real pool. Guy came by to clean it every morning.) Now if you don't like that pool, their full size pool is very nice. It is also a spa, attracts a lot of celebrities (although we had no sitings), is walking distance to plenty of wonderful shops, and has an excellent restaurant. I am daydreaming about it as I am writing this. Nice piano bar in the evening, gorgeous flowers in the lobby. It is a top notch place. It couldn't have been any better.
Aug 29th, 2003, 12:55 PM

Alex1251 - did you go already and are you back? anything to report about the Poseidon?

My fiance and I are also lounge around the pool type of people... and i'm planning our honeymoon for June. With all of our research we were thinking of "splurging" on a jr. suite at the Poseidon... but i'm concerned a bit about the pool just being an oversized bathtub... any thoughts?

Anyone think the Villa Franca is a better choice?

Search this Thread