Reload this Page >

Hotel help in TRASTEVERE Rome please ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Mach

What's this area in Rome like ? My wife and I will be heading out for Rome in a week and at the last minute decided that maybe we should spend at least a night on the "other side" of the river. We've looked at the Ripa All Suites Hotel as well as some other hotels in the area. Has anyone stayed in any hotels in this area that? Any suggestions? Any must sees while in Trastevere ? <BR>Would love to hear from you guys.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Marilyn

I've never stayed in Trastevere so perhaps should not comment. We've always gone to that area to eat because the food is good, but I don't think it has as much ambience as the east side of the river. Marilyn

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 12:48 PM
KT

Trastevere is great, though it's by no means the "real, untouched Rome" that some guidebooks still seem to think it is. It became trendy decades ago and lots of the old inhabitants were pushed out by yuppies. Now it's a really lively (and sometimes loud) place with tons of restaurants and cafes, some artsy bookshops, etc., and still some old-time feeling in the back streets.<BR><BR>It doesn't have must-sees on the level of the Borghese or the Forum, but it does have some excellent churches (e.g., Santa Maria in Trastevere w/mosaics, Santa Cecilia). Near the northern edge of the district is the Villa Farnesina with wonderful trompe l'oeil murals. And you can walk up the Gianicolo hill for a picnic with a view. The market in Piazza di San Cosimato was still quite neighborhoody when I was there last, but that was over ten years ago -- I don't know what it's like now.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 10:44 AM
JAGIRL

Thanks for the info. We'll only be spending one night there so we'll probably just want to spend the night just chilling out. <BR>Can anyone tell me how safe the area is for walking around at night ? <BR>And what about hotels in the area? <BR>I haven't been able to do a search for the Golden Tulip Ripa All Suites hotel on Fodors because of the search function being down...Has anyone stayed at that hotel ?

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Mustang81

So, Mach. Where did you end up staying in Trastevere?<BR><BR>I have reservations at Hotel San Francesco and would like to hear about your experience on that side of the river.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 01:01 AM
Helen

It is really nice to stay in Trastevere - safe, and lively at night - the place is alive with locals and tourists eating everywhere. Easy to reach the &quot;must sees&quot;<BR><BR>We stayed at Hotel San Francesco, and I only have praise for the Hotel, the staff - everything. Centrally located, but 2 blocks from the busiest streets. The Hotel has recently been renovated and is fresh and clean. The staff at reception speak English fluently, and they are so helpful! And the Buffet breakfast takes you through the day!<BR><BR>We shall always return to Trastevere.<BR><BR>Enjoy Rome!<BR><BR>Kindest regards.<BR><BR>Helen Malan

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Jasmine, Scala Reale

I recommend the Hotel Santa Maria<BR>Vicolo del Piede, 2 [Trastevere]<BR>[email protected]<BR>www.htlsantamaria.com Tel: 06.589.462606 Fax: 06.589.4815. It has small rooms but is quiet, quaint and homey. According to one traveller, &quot;With the quiet cloister, terraces and lots of brick and terracotta, it has a bit of the air of a Tuscan farmhouse despite its location. Also, ideal for handicapped travelers: two rooms are handicap accessible as all rooms lie at the ground level. Small rooms though...&quot;<BR><BR>Trastevere has been coined the &quot;American ghetto of Rome&quot; as American expats tend to settle there. They have good reason. The area is away from the traffic and bustle of the historic center but within walking distance of all the main sites, including the Vatican. It has a more neighborhoody feel than the Colosseum or Spanish Steps area, and is filled with locally-priced restaurants, bakeries, speciality shops and wine bars. <BR><BR>Be sure to climb up the Gianicolo hill and explore the Villa Pamphilli gardens. A great place for a picnic or a jog.<BR><BR>Best,<BR><BR>Jasmine.<BR>www.scalareale.org

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 04:40 AM
mach

I stayed at the Golden Ripa All Suites and loved the hotel. We only stayed there for one night...our last night in Rome. It was raining so we didn't really get to do much walking around. And I'm not sure if we were really close to any of the &quot;sights&quot; in Trastevere because we didn't really see much. But it was quiet and we stayed there on a Friday night. The area around the hotel didn't seem quite as upscale as some other areas of Rome, but for one night it was fine. There also were some jazz clubs and restaurant and other night clubs listed in the &quot;events book&quot; but as I said we didn't really get out that night. <BR>The hotel is pretty nice. Really modern rooms. The decor is sweet. <BR>