Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Help In Paris for four (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-help-in-paris-for-four-67112/)

judy Apr 2nd, 2000 11:19 AM

Hotel Help In Paris for four

My husband and our 13 and 18 year old will be in Paris for the first time in Jul. It will be a two night stay. We want to visit the top sites particularly the Lourve. Where should we stay? We want something below the standard of the Ritz.

Jeff Apr 2nd, 2000 02:04 PM

Judy, <BR> <BR>I just posted a reply to your London hotel request. We must be on the same itinerary. After visiting London, we're heading to Paris, too! We got a quad in the Latin Quarter at the Marignan Hotel for about $100 USD. Why don't you email me and I'll dig up all the info on both London and Paris.

carla Apr 2nd, 2000 02:31 PM

I stayed at a little place in 1996 (about 40 rooms I think) called the Hotel L'Esperance on the left bank. It was quiet, nice, and fairly well situated (although not in the heart of the city). <BR> <BR>If you want to stay right in the center of Paris (not really necessary, b/c the Metro makes it a cinch to get anywhere fast, but since your stay is so short, it might be more convient for you not to waste time trying to get your bearings -- the metro is easy to navigate, the streets aren't), there were two small hotels on the Ile St. Louis (don't know their names, but they're the only hotels on the island) that looked cute in the literature, weren't too expensive (in 1996 anyway) and the Ile St. Louis is MUCH more quiet than anything else anywhere near the Louvre. <BR> <BR>There is a TON of information on Paris on the internet -- try www.123france.com for their hotel recommendations. Also Fordors "Small Romantic Hotels of Paris" was what helped me finally make my choice. <BR> <BR>I would also recommend purchasing a Carte Musee (museum pass -- available at the Visitor's Center). It will get you into almost everything except the Eiffel Tower and the Old Opera House, and you can select a 1, 3, or 5 day pass -- if you go to only a few places it's worth it (5 day pass was $40 in 1996, 3 was maybe $20 and one was about $12) -- and the best part is you can go in anywhere more than once -- the Louvre can be overwhelming to try to do in a day. <BR> <BR>Also would recommend the Old Opera House for the Marc Chagall ceiling (one of the most mesmerizing things I've ever seen in my life), the Orangerie (on the left at the end of the Tuilleries as you walk away from the Louvre) for FABULOUS Monet waterlilies and the Rodin Museum for the beautiful garden setting (most of the major bronzes are outside). Compared to the Louvre, these museums are small so you can mix them in with other activities that may be more appealing to your teens. <BR> <BR>One last tip on the Louvre -- if there is a huge line at the pyramid (it is for security/bag scanning not to purchase tickets) DO NOT wait in it -- turn your back to the pyramid, walk towards the Tuilleries, look for the opening onto the street on your right (before you're beyond the Louvre), exit through the passageway, turn left and enter through the "Louvre du Carousel" -- this will take you to an underground shopping area, but it connects to the Louve underneath -- head for the inverted Pyramid, and you will come out beneath the Pyramid who's line you just left. There is way to much to do in Paris, and you just don't have enough time to wait in line unneccesarily. <BR> <BR>Not too much on the hotels, but hope the other tips help you out. Bon Voyage!!

emily Apr 3rd, 2000 07:09 AM

I have same ?paris.org has lots of good info on hotel rms with comments. <BR>some of the comments are from parties of three. Let me know what you learn, maybe you can help me out! <BR>PS I gather the ile st louis hotels are tiny; I once stayed at Best Westerns <BR>Regent garden--has a lovely garden in fact--it was lovely but I dont know if you can get by with one room.

Margo Apr 27th, 2000 08:58 AM

MARIGNAN: 13, rue Sommerard. Tel: 0143546381. (30 rms., 12 w/toilet & bath or shower.) 475-555F/72-85EUR double; 610-670F/93-102EUR triple; 700-1040F/107-159EUR quad. Call for quint rates. Breakfast (8-10:30am) is included in the rates & cannot be deducted. Cash only. (They will accept a U.S. personal check as a deposit only.) Excellent English spoken (Elizabeth), no phone, no TV, basic pleasant hotel w/old-fashioned furnished basic no-frills large rms., high ceilings, #1 (double bed, 3 twin beds, large bathroom w/bathtub & faces street) is for a family; free basement laundry & ironing facilities, bring your own food to their dining room w/free limited kitchen access (cooker, microwave & fridge), the rms. with no showers/toilets are cheaper, read the rules next to the reception desk, no elevator, 6 flrs. Owned by Mr. Keniger and managed by Elizabeth. Métro: Maubert-Mutualité. <BR> <BR>PALAIS BOURBON: 49, rue Bourgogne. Tel: 0144113070. Fax: 0145552021. Web site: http://www.globe-market-com/ E-mail: [email protected] (32 rms., 25 w/toilet & bath or shower.) 495F/75EUR single; 625F/95EUR double; 740F/113EUR triple; 800F/122EUR quad. Air-conditioned (50% of the rms.). Breakfast (7:15-10am) at 22F pp. (I recommend you take it because it is so cheap.) Visa, MC. English spoken (Thierry), cable TV w/CNN, wonderful old country-style warm 2-bldg. hotel w/simply & individually furnished bright nice-size to large rms., modern large bathrooms, high ceilings, wooden flrs., most of the rooms are large enough for extra twin beds for triple or quads, #2 (king-size bed or 2 twin beds, minibar & a/c) at 625F for a double; #4 (large rm w/king-size bed or 2 twin beds) at 625F; #1 (very large rm. w/king-size bed or 2 twin beds, minibar & faces back) at 625F for a double; #26 (large attic 2 rms. w/double bed, 2 twin beds, a/c, minibar & sitting area) at 800F for a family; 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 14, 19, 21, 24 (attic rm.), 25 (attic rm.) & 27 (attic rm.) are large rms. w/king-size beds or 2 twin beds at 625F for a double; 20 rms. w/minibars & hair driers, soundproofed, great breakfast rms., elevator, 5 flrs. Owned/managed by Mr. Thierry Claudon. Mr. Claudon tries very hard to be reserved but he is wonderful & cuddly like a teddy bear. He doesn’t like rude people on the phone and will tell you he is full if you are not pleasant. That would be a shame because this is a great hotel. Métro: Varenne. <BR>