Hotel Help in London

Search

Hotel Help in London

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2004, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Help in London

I'm spending a long weekend in London with my nine year this fall, and I'm desparate for help. I was hit with major sticker shock when looking in to hotels in town. We are very american... used to our space and also a little spoiled by having stayed is some amazing hotels through the US. SO any suggestions for a centrally located, hotel that is on the newer side, or at least very well maintained?? We'll have a friend Grandpa with us for two nights, so it also has to be able to accomadate 3, another detail I didn't realize was so major in eurpoean hotels.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 07:36 PM

Yes, definitely sticker shock as you say!! I can't believe what we are paying and we don't even get a full bath. Anyway, I just got a little brochure in the mail called London official guide to Where to stay on a budget (from the visitlondon.com site), anyway, it had a website for www.welcomehomes.co.uk that looked really interesting, rates looked good too, although I didn't email any of them because I am already booked. Also heard that Travel Inn (www.travelinn.com) is very American in style very basic, nothing fancy and they have one at the county hall near the London Eye. Well good luck, I can guarantee you the search will make you crazy!!
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 07:41 PM

You might have to get over your very American love of space for a long weekend unless you want to pay for more room. European hotels just are not the same size at American hotels.
My daughter stayed at the Russel in Bloomsbury. They had a triple room there, which might suit you.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 07:42 PM

County Hall Tavel Inn would be good because all the rooms will sleep two adults and one or 2 children. The location is unbelieveable - directly across the river from Big Ben and next door to the Eye. Full baths ensuite but not fancy - sort of prefab Holiday Inn Express-ish rooms.

Or rent a 1-bedroom flat - most will sleep 3 or 4.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 07:44 PM

janis, can you rent a flat for only a weekend?
The other hotel I was trying to remember is the Gallery in So Kensington. The rooms are sort of on the large side. Sort of
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 07:48 PM

True, many apartments only rent by the week. But many -- I'd guess 30% to 40% overall -- will rent by the night or with maybe a 3 night minimum.

Scala House, E&E, Dolphin Square and many other bldgs and agencies rent for less than a week.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 07:50 PM

Great! Thank you, that is good to know~
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 07:51 PM

Do a search on this board for priceline. The only way to get a great/cheap hotel in London is by using Priceline.com

I got the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum for only $72 per night, plus tax (comes to $87 per night with tax). That is a lot better than paying 250 pounds per night!

Most people have been able to get the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum for $64 per night, plus tax by using Priceline. Remember, with Priceline, you can't choose the hotel, only the location and the price you're willing to pay. For bidding strategies, go to www.biddingfortravel.com and click on the hotel keys at the top.

Also, to accomadate three, you might have to get two rooms. Priceline only states one room can sleep up to two people. If you don't use Priceline, try staying in the Docklands area. It is about 30 minutes away from metro. There is an Ibis Hotel as well as a Holiday Inn that are priced well. Good luck.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 08:08 PM

We've had fabulous luck with Priceline, but rooms are guaranteed for two people only and you may be assigned a room with one double bed and be unable to change that. And, with Priceline, you can be rather sure of a "standard" room, but you may be able to upgrade for an additional amount.

If you haven't already booked your flights, you may want to check out the Priceline packages (we found a fantastic deal for September).

As others have noted, though, only you can decide whether to stick to your budget or pay more for space and "nicer". You are just not going to get the same value for the dollar in London.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 08:13 PM

Having had seven Priceline bookings in Europe (four in the London area), I've had no problem getting twin beds in each case. I know there are no guarantees, but it seems that the default tends to be twin beds. Note that most other booking services do not guarantee bed type either. So consider the risk and decide whether to go with it. However, I think it's a given that you will only have double occupancy so two rooms would for sure be required in this case.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

I've had some pretty bad experiences with Priceline... and I know I'm the exception, but regardless, I'd like to be pretty confident in the hotel. I have another scenario, is there an "american Style" hotel outside the city that is accesible to a train ride in?? Somewhere that'll bring the price down some??
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 01:32 PM

if you're only going to be in London for a long weekend perhaps you should sacrafice space for location. How much time will you be spending in the room anyway? If you want "american style" be prepared to pay London prices!!!
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 01:39 PM

vabarone - it really doesn't make much sense to stay outside of London to see London. You will spend more on train tickets than the savings on room costs. You'll save on transport and also save a LOT of time w/ an inexpensive centrally located hotel.

BTW - at the County Hall Travel Inn children sleep free so you will only be paying for a double and not a triple.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 03:43 PM

I may have posted this before--but I've had great success with Priceline in London. Last December we stayed at the Novatel Euston for 70 US Dollars and received 2 queen size beds! I know it's a modern hotel, but the room was huge--the bath was huge and it was close to two tube stops. And it was clean, the front desk was friendly, and did I mention the room was huge??
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

I would certainly take location and cleanliness over size. And new hotel over everything.... but clearly thats not happening so a super clean, great location wins. And that just is not the case on pricelone, its really a crap shoot on what you'll get.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 06:54 PM

I was in London two weeks ago and stayed at the Royal Garden Hotel in Kensington. It's expensive but very comfortable. Excellent service and perfect location - next to Hyde Park and just a short walk to the tube.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 03:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Try www.bestwestern.com. They have several member hotels in London, and it's easy to see location on a map and input dates and number of people to get an immediate response on availability (including bed configuration) and rate.

I plugged in some random dates for three people in a room and found at least one hotel for under US$200 per night. I don't know if that's still too shocking for you, but I urge you to examine all of their properties.

Although Best Western will make you think "American," these are (usually) foreign-owned hotels that join the Best Western group for marketing purposes. We've used their website for reservations in Europe and have been very satisfied. Descriptions, photos and lists of amenities are accurate and on-line booking simple.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 04:56 PM

If you can manage with 2 beds (if you'll share with your nine year old) look at the Holiday Inn Mayfair.