Hotel Help in London

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 08:15 PM
Brenda

Hotel Help in London

We'll be spending 5 days in London in November and need to decide on a hotel. Has anyone stayed at the Sheraton Park Tower or the Intercontinental Mayfair? Should we instead stay at a smaller, boutique type hotel? We'd appreciate your suggestions.

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 02:59 PM
bettyk

Brenda, if you do a search on London hotels, I know there have been some recent comments on the hotels you mentioned.

In May 2002, we stayed at the Rubens-at-the-Palace, a 4* hotel across from the Royal Mews at Buckingham Palace. The rooms weren't large, but they were very well appointed and the bathroom was quite nice. They have a wonderful full English breakfast buffet and the staff was friendly and helpful. We got a great rate on www.londontown.com but you can check out their website at http://www.rubenshotel.com/index_flash.htm for specials too.

For November, under "Last Minute Offers" they show rates of 99 pounds for a deluxe double and 125 pounds for a deluxe king. Don't know if that includes breakfast or not.

The Rubens in a great location, within walking distance to many of the sights as well as Victoria Station and lots of restaurants and pubs.

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 07:40 PM
brenda

Thanks Betty....wil check it out.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 05:16 AM
ajs

We stayed at the Chelsea Green for five nights over two weekends. This place should be sold out every night, for the value alone. It is in a quiet neighborhood of Chelsea (really So Ken), less than five minutes walk from the So Ken tube. There are outstanding restaurants everywhere within a 10-15 minute walk. It is a 4****, with A/C and lift. We had a suite reserved for 150 GBP per night(which would have been a good deal), but then found the same room on laterooms.com for 110, a week before we left. They honored the rate! It is practically new inside, a beautiful conservatory for breakfast, free paper in the morning, and the suite was very nice sized for two. We arrived on my wife's birthday, and at my request, they had balloons strung up and flowers on the bed. Value like this in London is nearly impossible to find. Can't recommend it enough.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:03 AM
brenda

Both hotels sound wonderful. Do you recommend staying in Chelsea over something more central? Is it far from the Theatre district? Generally we prefer to walk or take a taxi....we are not the best navigators on the tubes or subways. Thanks

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:25 AM
ajs

The Chelsea Green is really in So Ken. The theater district is just three stops away on the Picadilly Line. We loved the neighborhood more than any other we saw. Very upscale, tons of shopping and restaurants on both Fulham st and Kings Road. Plus, you can get a suite for less than a room at most other 4* properties. We couldn't figure out why it was so inexpensive. If you decide to stay there, make sure to keep checking laterooms.com starting two weeks before. Good luck.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 11:22 AM
cheryl

I heeded the advice of another fodorite when I went over and got a wonderful rate using www.londontown.com site. We were very happy. Good luck!

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 01:26 PM
bettyk

Brenda, we easily walked from the hotel by Buckingham Palace, thru St. James Park over to Westminster Abbey, Parliament, London Eye, 10 Downing Street and Cabinet War Rooms. We also easily walked to Hyde Point Corner, Picadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square and the Naitonal Gallery among other sites. It cost us 6 Pounds to take a taxi to the Hard Rock Cafe on Park Lane from the Hotel. The Rubens is very central to everything.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 03:18 PM
M.Scotlewska

We'd only recently stayed at the Burns hotel in Kensington.Highly recommended. 3 star hotel in the centre of town.Very clean, and friendly. We got a great deal through London Rooms.High the usual rate. They are a well known accommodation provider based in london and I think offer deals from hostels to 5 star hotels. Try
www.londonrooms.biz

All the best. I had a great time, despite the erratic weather.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 07:41 PM
xyz

We love the Intercont't Mayfair! We've stayed there 3 times over the last 3 years, the most recent in April. Rooms in the upgraded categories are spacious, service is topnotch, and the buffet breakfast is outstanding. The location cannot be beat for doing a lot of walking. You are very near Green Park, St. James Park, Hyde Park, the Palace, Oxford/Bond St. shopping, Picadilly, the theatres, and more. We are going to book there again for Feb. 03.