Hotel Grande Bretagne/Athens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having just returned from six nights in Athens, I thought I would offer my thoughts regarding the city and the property.

The city itself appears to have undergone a lot of sprucing up. Faded grandeur is the architectural order of the day; once palatial mansions now house museums and municipal buildings. One feels very secure walking around the city whether it be by day or night. Kolonaki - the most upmarket shopping district is delightful as are the multitude of quality boutiques. However, one must not neglect the parthenon which is well worth the brisk walk to the top, where one is greeted with an icononic image of the acropolis and also vistas over the city itself. The lack of restaurants is one of my few quibbles with the city. Unlike London where it is near impossible to walk down any street and find numerous restaurants, Athens has only café style eateries or ultra chic michelin starred establishments with prices to match, I was unable to find anything in between. Perhaps I was simply looking in the wrong areas.

Now on to the hotel itself: The moment one enters the elegant beaux-arts lobby one cannot help but be drawn to the notion of old fashioned values and quality of service, indeed exhibited throughout the entire staff of this property. Don't expect the rooms to be huge, I booked a junior suite which was large, with a stunningly fitted no expense spared bathroom. Very high celings are another feature which is enjoyed by the rooms, adding to their spacious feel. The view from the 30ft terrace over the Parliament, Syntagma Sq., and the acropolis itself was yet another bonus. Breakfast in the Royal Room was superb - fresh strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, and redcurrants every day was an highlight, not to mention the freshly baked breads, pastries, great cheeseboard... the list goes on! The Winter Garden which served light meals was another triumph - a place where locals came to talk over a coffee or hot chocolate in an extremely charming and warm setting. The bar's cocktails were exemplary, as was the service in both. The GB Corner once again did not disappoint. The newly created basement spa was sublime: Every locker had a bathrobe, a towel, slippers, overshorts, and a bag for your wet swimming costume neatly arranged in it. The pool area itself is paved in white marble, and features a laconium, steam room ("amethyst grotto&quot, experience showers, and a herbal sauna. With each having its own unique aromatherapy qualities, scents of sandalwood, patchouli, vanilla, bay, lavender, camomile were experienced (respectively) a true feast for the body, and spirit. Other guests were equally impressed with the beautifully fitted spa complex. Similar spas are now becoming the norm, but in Athens it was a real retreat from the hustle and bustle a mere 20 yards away.

I can strongly reccomend the hotel, and for what it is, pricewise seemed quite reasonable - if you happen to go to Athens the GB is the only place to stay; I might even return for the hotel alone!
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 06:49 AM

HI
It has been many years since I've stayed there, but it's wonderful to know that the GB is still the best, and even that the GB Corner is still recommended.
Thanks, I expect to go back.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 07:00 AM
JonJon

If i didn't know better I'd say the "quality" of the report came right out of an ad agency.

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Re: "JonJon" I would just like to confirm I was a paying guest - from my own pocket, no travel company or associated businesses!

I was very impressed with the high standards of the refurbished hotel, and cannot reccomend it enough.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 07:36 AM

JonJon,

I recall m-kingdom contributing to this board many times, included some posts asking about the G. Bretagne before booking it.

Please, check his/her previous posts before making such remarks.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 10:26 AM

m_kingdom, I've been waiting on your report and I'm delighted you enjoyed the city and the hotel.

From the outside the GB looks simply stunning especially at night. We walked passed it many times during our trip August '03. Looks like we need to save hard to stay there on our next trip!!

JonJon, an apology perhaps?
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your support! Perhaps certain people should be sure of their facts before making rash accusations?
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 01:14 PM

I stayed at the Grande Bretagne in 1998. It was a tad faded then, but I loved the location. I had previous stayed at the Intercontinental with my ex-husband. We LOVED the pool area here because we met so many fabulous people. There are many, many non-tourist restaurants in Athens, you just have to get away from the Plaka area to find them.

Don't pay any attention to that slag, JonJon. She is as dim as Britney Spears.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 09:54 PM

Excellent report!

Hope you liked the 'x-mas sugar village and the caroussel 'on syntagma square as well !

For your next visit,just ask about restaurants/tavernas adn we will be delighted to share our little gems with you...
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the report. I am staying at the GB in March with my family and can't wait to see it. What other fun things did you experience while in Athens or other cities. Anything to pass along would be appreciated. Did you take any side trips? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

I took a tour to Delphi, however the coach left at around 7:30 am, so for a little extra the concierge organised a mercedes saloon and driver to take me on a similar tour - taking in roughly the same route - but at a more civilised start time. Seeing as you will be with family (presumably more than just the two of you?) this would even work out to be a more cost effective option!

Also going for walks around the city and various side streets was fascinating, and of course unwinding in the spa every evening was a real treat!

You MUST have a meal in the Winter Garden, it takes one back to a time and era that no longer widely exists - their hamburger (whilst people may scoff - hardly a gastronomic creation) was perfect, right down to the exceptional coleslaw, and endive and radiccio leaves! GB corner serves more contemporary cuisine, and is worth a try too!

Hopefully people on here will be able to reccomend other restaurants too - I also like café Neon a very basic place which served quick no nonsense food - great for a snack!

I hope you have a really great trip, any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the info. I am staying at the Bretagne in June. I stayed there about 15 years ago and loved it.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 09:04 AM

m_kingdom,

I replied to another message you had posted on the Spain board. You have great tastes in hotels! I was in Athens this past June and stopped in the GB for a drink. The location is fantastic, but my only negative comment regarding the hotel was that I felt that the people that worked there were a little snooty.

We spent 5 days in Athens (which was a little too much), but it was a good experience overall. If anybody gets a chance to go to the Aristera-Dexia restaurant, I would highly recommend it. Oddly enough we found it on the Fodor's Greece book.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 09:32 AM

We stayed at the Grande Bretagne about four years ago prior to taking a cruise to Istanbul.
It is a great hotel/location but was definitely a tad faded as mentioned above by ThinGorjus.
Glad to hear it's been spruced up.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Perhaps Fodors would like to update the hotels section which makes reference to the hotel prior to its refurb!
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 11:12 AM

To m kingdom:
Did you find most museums closed for refurbishment pre-Olympics? I was hoping that although it is stated they won't reopen until April, that some may finish sooner and be open by March (wishful thinking probably). Thanks for the restaurant advice but what is GB Corner? We also have scheduled a bus and driver to take us to Delphi and Meteora because of the early and long hours of tours. Glad to know it worked out for you. Did you see any islands? I can't wait to go. Jane
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Sadly, I didn't have time to see the other islands, also the weather wasn't really good enough for trips in little boats. Unfortunately, the archaelogical museum was closed. However, I went to the Benaki museum, which had hundreds upon hundreds of artefacts. Now risking sounding souless - After seeing the artefacts at the acropolis museum, Benaki museum (and of course the famous bronze at delphi), I don't think i'dve appreciated anymore; I had reached my saturation point.

The GB corner is the main restaurant of the hotel serving mediterranean inspired cuisine, with superb surroundings and excellent service. The Winter Garden serves lighter meals, and one can simply have one dish, or even just an hot chocolate. On the roof, there is an exclusive terrace restaurant, which was unfortunately closed during my stay, it opens in April through to October, and if the food is of a similar style to the corner restaurant.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 03:33 PM
sisterleebore2004

A splendid lesson in the avoidance of the greek experience.

Old Jan 13th, 2004, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

On the contrary:

The majority of the clientele in the Winter Garden are local Athenians who like to get "dressed up" when they go there. When people talk about the "greek experience" perhaps they should be more broad in their spectrum - after all a very affordable little taverna patronised by locals is just as authentic as a more sophisticated venue. The Greek experience can be enjoyed from all aspects. Even if the GB Corner is serving food of a more international nature, once again it is authentic Greek, as when dining there you are partaking an activity enjoyed by the local people.

Perhaps your view of the "greek experience" is a sterotypical one likely to lead you into tourist traps?

French, and Italian are the cuisines which tend to dominate in the Mediterranean, because these two countries were the first to produce refined dishes i.e. not typical rustic stews. Thus, fine dining will usually make reference to these countries, all over the world. Now of course there is fusion cuisine, and more arabic influences. Classic Greek cuisine, whilst very enjoyable lacks the flair of say Italian or the finesse of French food. Hence, an authentic experience in London is not some fish and chip shop, but a gourmet restaurant such as those under the Gordon Ramsay brand. People might like to think the British live off fish and chips, but whilst many enjoy them once in a while it is not the staple diet of the country. The same way kebas and feta cheese is not the staple diet of the Greeks.

Please share your thoughts on the authentic "greek experience"
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 10:29 AM

I appreciate all your observations as one who has just returned from a trip. While we want to experience Greek history, I do agree that a couple museums and/or sidetrips will probably provide us the brief introduction we seek to the ancient culture.
We really don't travel to do extensive research. We just want to enjoy the flavor of the country and will definitely enjoy the restaurants associated with the GB hotel, as well as others we happen to find.
I am sure if there is a McDonalds nearby, my kids will find it and enjoy the "Greek experience" it offers, as they did at a McDonald's in Bangkok. Believe me, the are different than ours. Also, they travel happier if a little "food from home" is thrown into the mix, and are better troopers about trying/experiencing new things.
Besides, it gives my husband and I time to eat somewhere they wouldn't.
(sorry if this is on twice. something funky keeps happening when I try to post)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -