Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Grand Montmartre Quality? Has anyone been there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2001, 10:31 PM
mark

I'm booked for that hotel through my airline and I'm wondering how it is and how far it is from all the major attractions...Tower, Arch, NotreDame, Louvre, Marais...it looks to be pretty far off the beaten path. Are the metro stations safe there at night? Anyone used that night owl bus? Can you recommend inexpensive restaurants in the area (Metro Blanche) and what are some typical french dishes served locally in neighborhood type places that are not laden with grease? Anyone? Are there foods to stay away from? I hear that coffee is half as expensive if you drink it INSIDE a cafe? any other inside tips? I've never been to France, just Spain. any help most appreciated. What time do locals eat lunch? Dinner? Does everything close between 2 and 4 like in Spain? How late are restaurants open?

Old May 2nd, 2001, 01:24 PM
Christina

well, first of all, that area is a little farther away from central Paris than many tourists want to be; all the sites you mention are on the Right Bank so not really that far from metro Blanche; you probably won't want to walk but take the metro, it isn't far, maybe a mile. The ambience right on those main blvds near your hotel is not so scenic IMO (trashy, XXX-rated etc area), but I don't think Blanche is quite as bad as the stops a little east of there, but I would be careful and watch myself. I've taken the night owl bus once as a student there when I was insane and/or cheap, I guess--it was a lot of trouble and not worth the savings over a cab, mainly because they don't run frequently and did not stop that near my residence. They are fine if they suit your schedule and stop near where you want. As far as cheap restaurants, I'd suggest you walk up rue Lepic (it goes north from metro Blanche) and you should find good cheap cafes up there (more above rue des Abbesses, I think, where it jogs to left), also try rue Veron that crosses Lepic before Abbesses and rue des Trois Freres a little to east of there, and rue des Abbesses itself. I have never seen a place where coffee was half as expensive inside as outside, it is the same in my favorite cafe, although I think some places do charge a little more on the terrace--just look at the menu if you are concerned, they should list several prices if that is relevant. A lot of cafes will have a cheaper price for drinking standing at the bar, but not just for being inside, you will have to decide if saving that money is worth it. I don't think I can answer your food questions as I don't think of French food as being particularly greasy, so don't know what to say--sometimes poorer quality French fried potatoes can be a little greasy, but that's about all I can think of that I ever order there that I'd call greasy. If you order roast chicken and whatever (very common in cafes, usu with vegetables or frites), they won't be too greasy; I like grilled liver and onions, a typical cafe meal, but many people don't; various grilled chops, steaks or fish are not greasy. I don't know your dietary interests so can't really recommend foods to stay away from--I dislike terrines (weird jellylike something in a small dish with various types of food in it which you can't tell what they are, sort of pate-like but not that good, more mystery stuff in it) and would say don't order anything with lardons (very popular on French salads, as are little pieces of corn and other junk, I don't much like typical cheap French cafe salads). I do love a good cafe salad with warm chevre cheese, oil and walnuts, nice greens, etc. Really, take a little travelers' phrasebook and find out what food terms mean and order what appeals. Seems to me typical lunch hours are about noon to 2 and dinner 8 to 10. Things do not close between 2 to 4 at all that I've noticed, people go back to work and things are normal. Most restaurants are open fairly late as a lot of people don't eat before 8 (some restaurants do not open until 7:30-8), but I have never tried to dine at midnight so cannot be sure on how late.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 04:20 PM
mark

Thanks. Christina-that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Those "lardons" sound pretty foul...thanks for telling me about them . I never eat french fries and most greasy foods make me sick, but that salad with warm cheese and walnuts sounds wonderful. great to hear about the kind of neighborhood I'll be in IN ADVANCE...and your warnings and explicit directions are most welcome!

Old May 3rd, 2001, 02:43 PM
Christina

ha ha well lardons are a joke between me and a friend who went to Paris and noticed lardons on the menus of a lot of cafes on salads and asked me what the deal was with the lardons. I think what they are is not really little pieces of lard but bacon bits (which I guess is sort of little pieces of fat)

Old May 3rd, 2001, 03:01 PM
Fred

Here are some very varied comments by people who stayed there: <BR>Grand Hotel Montmartre- <BR>nice size room <BR>newly decorated <BR>staff was very helpful <BR>was not clean <BR>staff not friendly or helpful <BR>I would have changed if I hadn't been prepaid <BR>For more Paris information e-mail me - <BR>[email protected] <BR>

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 07:38 PM
tripp

Delta Dream Vacations has recommended the Grand MontmartreQuality but I am now doubtful about staying there. Are there any further replies to this hotel and its value? Tx