Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Galleria ~room #5 booked, any info about this room...

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I was fortunate enough to reserve room #5 today at the Hotel Galleria in Venice. I have heard good reviews on this hotel. They emailed to me that it was their last grand canal view room they had left. (no bath but that is ok) It is supposed to be a large corner room with 2 corner windows, with a fireplace. (non functional I'm sure)

By chance has anyone stayed in this room and have an opinion on it or can describe it for me? How about the hall bathroom? Any particulars on the hotel? I know bfast is served in the room and there is no TV. This is our first trip to Italy.

Also any ideas on places to eat in that hotel area?

I must say they answered so quickly it made my head spin and this is while I am still awaiting replies from Rome hotels in the same budget, that I emailed days ago.

They were very nice and during the last email (with the cc numbers) they confirmed within minutes.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old May 9th, 2003, 05:13 PM

I have not yet stayed here but also have reservations for next month. If I understand their website, the room you are intersted in (#5) is pictured here:

http://www.hotelgalleria.it/images/f...ni/camera5.jpg

We have booked #8 (with the arched window). Everything else I know about the hotel came from other posts, so you probably know everything I do.

Buon viaggio!
Old May 9th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks JS,
I had heard 8 was a great room and I did know enough to ask for that one, but it was taken. Lucky you, have a great time, and thanks for the notice on the picture....now if I could just do as well in rome (sigh)
Old May 10th, 2003, 09:40 AM

We spent 3 nights in #5 last month. It does have a view of both the canal and the Accedemia Bridge/Piazza. I liked to sit and write and watch the people crossing the bridge. The room has a double bed, table w/2 chairs, sink and wardrobe. It's not tiny as some rooms there are. Never had any trouble with sharing the bathroom as only 3 rooms share it. It is clean and neat.

Rick
Old May 10th, 2003, 09:47 AM

I missed the part about asking about restaurants. There is a pizzaria right below the hotel that is good.

For something better but not too expensive ask for directions to Taverna San Trovaso, it's about a 4 minute walk from the hotel. We ate there twice, the first time without reservations the second time with. Food is good and they cater to both tourists and locals. In fact with the lousy weather we had while in Venice this restaurant was one of the highlights of our stay.

If you have any other questions let me know at [email protected]

Rick
Old May 10th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Rick,
I'm glad to hear about the sink and it sounds like a lovely room, with the view and all. Do you recall what floor it is on, and if the bed is firm? Gosh I sound so picky and I'm not really, just that we are spending 5 days there at the end of our 15 day trip and I like a firm bed. Must say I've been very lucky in our travels so far. Any ideas on inepensive (realitivly speaking) restaurants around there? Thanks in advance.~paula
Old May 10th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Rick you must be psychic. I guess we were typing at the same time. I really apreciate your suggestions about the restaurants. Thanks so much.
Old May 10th, 2003, 11:04 AM

The hotel is up one flight of circular stairs.

I don't like a soft bed although I don't remember it being real firm I know neither of us had any trouble sleeping. One thing is that the floor is not level and the head of the bed is slightly lower than the foot but to my surprise even this didn't cause us any problems.

This hotel is in a great location with the Vapereto stop and the bridge right there. There is an internet cafe just accross the bridge at Camp St. Stefano. Check out the concerts at Chiese San Vidal, again just accross the Accademia Bridge. Have a great time.

Rick
Old May 10th, 2003, 12:56 PM

Rick:

Did you travel to or from the airport to the Hotel Galleria? If so, did you travel via Alilaguna to Zattere, or to Piazzale Roma to catch a vaporetto? What do you recommend?

Thanks.
John
Old May 10th, 2003, 01:43 PM

We took the Alilaguna to the airport from the Zattere stop about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. At 10 euros per and an hour it is definitely the best way back and forth. We left Venice on April 4 and at that time the Zattere stop is not in it's normal location due to repairs to the seawall. It is located 2 bridges east of it's normal dock. My only complaint concerning the Alilagun is that they were over 15 minutes late so at 4:35 AM I was starting to figure out my next option for getting to the airport.

Rick
Old May 10th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

What great information Rick. It sounds like a nice room and I really appreciate hearing about the transportation. I may email you a few quick questions later about your trip but I promise they won't be long ones as I already appreciate your help. =)
Thanks so much.
Old May 11th, 2003, 11:42 AM

Paula, other travel options for you from the airport to the hotel are
1) take the alilaguna to the San Zaccaria or San Marco stop and then transfer to a vaparetto to the accademia stop. This will leave you almost directly in front of the hotel & save the 10 min. walk (with luggage) from Zaterre.

2) even cheaper (& perhaps faster) is the land bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma & from there get a vaparetto down the Grand Canal to the Accademia stop. Maybe this was the option you were talking about. I think the bus is only 3e/person (you do have to add the vap. cost but if you buy a multi-day pass it's not bad) vs 10e/person for the alilaguna. The website ACTV.it/ should have info on the bus. Have a great trip!

PS We found a sandwich shop (bacarro) on calle toletto-not far from your hotel-which we liked a lot for lunch. They sell the sandwiches in halves so you can taste different things. Tuna with radicchio was my favorite. We also ate at the bacarro in Campo San Stefano. It was fine but not as good IMO.
Old May 12th, 2003, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much McLaurie, and Rick .... now if only I can "hint" my way into a private singing gondala ride...think my boyfriend will take the hint?...I know it's sso appy but it just sounds sooooo romantic..... thanks everyone for your help~Paula
Old May 13th, 2003, 08:58 PM

Have a grand time, we did.