Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Galleria changes me to Casa Rezzonico - anyone know of it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:01 AM
Karen

<BR>I have just had an email from Hotel Galleria in Venice informing me that they just found out they have to do work on their hotel during the time we have our reservation, and they offered us &quot;availability in our new hotel, Casa Rezzonico, a beautiful inn with 6 rooms all with private bathroom, some with view on the<BR>canal of San Barnaba, some with view on the beautiful hotel garden.<BR>Casa Rezzonico is in the same area, a few steps from the n.1 boat stop Ca'<BR>Rezzonico in the beautiful campo San Barnaba.<BR>We have a double with bathroom at 110 euro per night including breakfast and<BR>taxes.&quot;<BR><BR>Does anyone know of this hotel or have any advice?<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR<BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:46 AM
Tess

Karen,<BR><BR>The “Ca' Rezzonico” dates back to the 18th century, once owned by poet Robert Browning and now is a museum. Either they’ve converted a nearby building into a hotel or possibly, a section of the museum building itself was renovated for hotel use. Either way, I’d give it a go. It’s located in the Dorsoduro district (as the Hotel Galleria is). Granted, this other hotel is not directly on the Grand Canal, however by your description it’s in a good area and still convenient to major tourist areas.<BR><BR>http://www.veniceworld.com/guide/dorsoduro/dor_carezzonico.htm<BR><BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:02 AM
Laurie

Karen- I don't know the hotel but I do know the area &amp; it's lovely although not as close a walk to San Marco as the Galleria(it's one vaparetto stop away from the Accademia stop where the Galleria is.) Is the price they're quoting more, less or the same as what you were to pay at Galleria? I would ask if there are any photos of the new place available on the internet. If it looks ok &amp; the price suits you, I would take it. The recent &quot;rants &amp; raves&quot; reviews here for the Galleria haven't been very good. You may be lucky at the new place. I'd ask for a canal view. Tell us what happens.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:11 AM
Stephanie

Karen- When were you scheduled to stay at Hotel Galleria? I am supposed to be staying there Easter weekend, and I wanted to see if my plans will be changed as well. I have not received an e-mail from Hotel Galleria yet. Thanks in advance!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:10 PM
Karen

Laurie, yes they are quoting me the same as they were for the Galleria.<BR><BR>Stephanie, we were scheduled for April 10-12 - the week before Easter. It might be wise to double check with them to make sure.<BR><BR>Thanks Tess for the info.<BR><BR>I will let you know what happens!<BR<BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:15 PM
Robert

Hello! hotel galleria has a website can select english ; www.hotelgalleria.it

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:41 AM
up4other-opines

????<BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Robert

What is your point ttt?

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Karen

Robert - unfortunately their new hotel, Casa Rezzonico isn't on their Galleria website. I emailed them asking about pictures or a website and they said it isn't up yet. I'm hoping for the best!!<BR<BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Laurie

Karen-Do I understand correctly that this is only for 2 nights? If yes, &amp; if it were me, I'd tell them if they can guarantee a canal view room I'd agree. Get it in writing!

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 09:12 AM
Anne

We stayed at the Galleria in October (actually, at their dependence), and it was just fine. Decent sized room, private bathroom, but had to step outside of our room into the hall to get to it (but didn't share it with other rooms). Noisy when the kids were on their way to and from school, but other than that, nice area. Excellent price (104 for twin).<BR><BR>Anne

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that you've been, can you tell us how the Casa Rezzonico was?
Thanks!
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 08:03 AM

I had a reservation to stay at the Hotel Galleria and was switched to Casa Rezzonico as well. It turned out to be really lovely! The rooms were charming, good size including a sofa, modern bathroom, and very clean. Breakfast was lovely, including fresh baked croissants, bread, fruit, yogurt, cereal, coffee and juice. We had a room with view of the canal but I think the view of the beautiful court yard may have been a bit nicer. Very friendly staff. I highly recommend it! They now have a web site: www.casarezzonico.it
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 10:13 AM

Jessica,

Thanks for your review. I just changed our reservation in May from the Galleria to Casa Rezzonico. I was a little worried about noise and the sloping floor at the Galleria--Casa Rezzonico sounds perfect, especially with the beautiful courtyard!
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 07:26 AM

Casa Rezzonico was lovely! We had the topmost room which felt like you were going into the attic, but it wasn't like that it all. It was a nice size, not what I would call big, but definately not cramped. The private bathroom was the nicest we had throughout our trip in Italy. The staff were very friendly and the breakfasts were good too. It was in a great location, very &quot;local&quot; feeling, and also just down from the piazza where they filmed the beginning of &quot;The Italian Job&quot;! I would thoroughly recommend it.