Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel for last night in Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-for-last-night-in-rome-1025469/)

ashleyjb Sep 14th, 2014 06:04 AM

Hotel for last night in Rome

We're leaving for Italy on Tuesday. We're going to be in Rome Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. My husband's boss is getting married on Friday and has booked us all at the Waldorf Thursday-Saturday. We were going to book Sunday out of pocket, but his boss said they were booked. I can find rooms online, but we're not looking to spend $600+ for one night.

Our flight leaves Rome at 2pm on Monday. Can anyone recommend a hotel that wouldn't be difficult to get to from the Waldorf and also wouldn't be too much hassle to get to the airport the next day?

This whole trip has been ridiculously last minute. We got the save the date a month ago and the trip info 2 weeks ago. Wedding invite last Tuesday. For a crazy planner like me, it's been stressful! This is our first trip to Rome, so I'm just in over my head on this last night!

Thank you!

sandralist Sep 14th, 2014 06:12 AM

If you go to booking.com you can put in your dates and search for available hotel rooms that are right around the Waldorf and find one in your price range. You can book the hotel online.

However, do bear in mind that a hotel that looks "walkable" from the Waldorf with your luggage might be a nuisance if it is raining cats and dogs.

Therefore, consider hotels that are a cab ride away as well.

To get to the airport the absolute simplest thing to do is book a car service for 45 euros. Otherwise, you either need a hotel that is walkable to Termini station so you can take the train to airport (about 30e for 2 tickets), or else you will need a cab to the train station -- at which point you might as well pay for a cab ride to the airport itself.

sandralist Sep 14th, 2014 06:17 AM

Actually, the Waldorf is so far out of the center of Rome I think they have a free shuttle. You might find out where it drops people off and look for a hotel near there.

sandralist Sep 14th, 2014 06:19 AM

Here is the info on the shuttle. Save you the cost of a cab ride if you book a b&b near the drop off point:

http://www.romecavalieri.com/shuttleservice.php

Mimar Sep 14th, 2014 06:22 AM

I would stay right in the historic center of Rome, to get the real Rome experience. And I would take a taxi from the Waldorf (better known as the Cavalieri) to that hotel. To get to the airport either get the hotel to book a car and driver or a taxi or get a taxi to the train station and take the Fiumicino Express. Last I remember Central Rome to Fiumicino had a fixed taxi fare of about 45 euros.

Walking around the historic center of Rome, stumbling across the odd Roman ruin or famous church, is what Rome is all about -- to me.

Without a budget it's hard to recommend a hotel. Many like the Albergo del Senato and the Albergo Cesari (on a pedestrian street). Or the Hotel Campo dei Fiori. All these are in the center of old Rome.

Dukey1 Sep 14th, 2014 07:28 AM

This past July we stayed in Rome at the Albergo del Senato hotel. We booked a car for the transfer out to the aiport and we did this particularly because we knew that if we took the Leonardo Express we would still have to take some sort of shuttle to our check-in terminal.

The car cost 5 Euro more than the "standard" taxi fare and it was worth every penny.

Seriously, there are far more extravagant things you could spend your money (and time) on than a car out to the airport but to each their own.

denisea Sep 14th, 2014 05:51 PM

I also vote for Albergo del Senato - right by the Pantheon. We are staying there next year for 3 nights and I have always heard great things about this hotel.

As far as the Cavalieri, it is out of the city center but worth it. The service was wonderful, our room was beautiful and we enjoyed every second. We did not use the free hotel shuttle b/c I didn't want to spend time waiting on it. We usually took a cab into Rome (very short ride) and often took a cab to the Metro stop at Vatican and then took the Metro from there is our destination was way across Rome. If I were you, I would take a cab from the Cavalieri to your new hotel and use Rome Cabs for service to the airport. I would not try to find another hotel near the Cavalieri - just choose something in central Rome and enjoy your last day there.

We used Rome Cabs to and from the airport and were very happy with the service.