Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel, food & other stops on the way to the Ferrari Museum

Old Jun 17th, 2018, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

​​​​​We are headed to Italy in July & hubby wants to stop at the Ferrari museums in Maranello & Modena and maybe do the "Ferrari driving experience". We will be in Cinque Terre the previous night. We have rented a car and will leave Cinque Terre in the morning, drive to the Maranello area and stay over. If we arrive late in the day, we can do the Ferrari museums the next morning then head to our next stop (Florence).

Any suggestions for stops between Cinque Terre & Maranello/Modena? Where do we stay? Have dinner? and stop the next day on the way to Florence?

Thanks!
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 07:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would head to Modena first and spend the night because I'd want more time there. You'd also have more lodging options in Modena.

For me, the Enzo Ferrari House and Museum in Modena were much more interesting than the tour-bus-popular Ferrari Factory Museum in Maranello.

The factory museum in Maranello is housed in a building that felt cramped for space and not terribly well-maintained. Too many visitors touched the cars, and there was a vaguely Disney feel to the place, especially in the souvenir shop and the driving simulator area. At the time we visited, there was a nice section on Michael Schumacher. Unless you own a Ferrari, the factory tour is just a bus ride along a few streets inside the factory complex walls. No photos allowed, no peeks at the assembly line and very likely no glimpses of any Ferraris in the complex or on the test track. Interestingly, my sportscar-crazy husband had no interest in the driving experience.

The museum in Modena is contained in two buildings. The first is Enzo Ferrari's house and first factory, and the second is a modern structure with a large display area for a couple of dozen cars. When we visited, a film on Enzo Ferrari and Ferrari racing was projected on the ceiling of the display area and a good narrative of the history of Italian auto racing ran along the entire length of one side of the building.

Rather than heading to Maranello after Modena, I'd book a tour at nearby Pagani. AFAIK, their factory tour still includes the assembly line. Reservations required.

https://www.pagani.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...a_Romagna.html
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Jean!!!
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 03:41 AM

Three years ago we visited the Maranello Ferrari Museum and spent an interesting day browsing the site. They have a decent cafeteria, which makes for a convenient place to take a break. I did have a picture taken with me behind the wheel of a red Ferrari California. This photo is the closest I will ever be to owning one. The picture is framed and hanging in our family room.

We drove in from San Marino, which was a little longer than we anticipated. All in all, we spent a nice day at the museum and did like the gift shop, if overpriced. But this is Ferrari, after all. Go and have fun.

Buon viaggio,