Hotel Flora/Violino D'Oro Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at either the Hotel Flora or Violino D'Oro in Venice?<BR><BR>If so, I would appreciate opinions.<BR><BR>Thank you.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 04:09 AM

Hotel Flora is beloved of everyone who manages to stay there. Not on a canal but with some rooms overlooking gardens. Small place with lots of hominess, a two seater bar, damask type breakfast room, etc. Rooms are pleasant with nice plumbing. Service very pleasant. Haven't stayed at Violino D'Oro but took one of their brochures because it looked nice. Only a half block or so from the Flora and both are in a nice area near the Bauer Grunewald. Violino is on a small side canal but don't know how many rooms have views of it. Both look fine and Flora is good from personal experience. Have a great time in Venice.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 07:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I disagree with the previous poster regarding the Flora. It's not beloved by everyone. <BR><BR>A couple of years ago, we stayed in a very small, uncomfortable room overlooking the garden at the equivalent of 220 euros a night. Walls were paper thin -- the next door neighbor's snoring woke me up! <BR><BR>The bathroom was ridiculously small, even for Europe -- salad-bowl-sized sink, toilet, bidet and shower in floor space equivalent to my desk top at work. The shower drain did not drain, and the shower water puddled several inches into the bedroom, soaking the carpet and triggering a kind of &quot;wet dog&quot; smell. Yuck.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.<BR><BR>I am really confused now with this decision.<BR><BR>Flora gave me a room rate of euro 230. I asked for a large room and wanted assurances that I would recieve such. They wrote back telling me I would receive a good room.<BR><BR>Is euro 230 a good rate and will that get me a larger room?<BR><BR>Anyone on this site familiar with Violino D'Oro?<BR><BR>I'd like to here pros and cons of this hotel, if possible.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 06:55 AM

Hi<BR>I am a big fan of the Flora's and would stay there anytime, but I would be concerned about the smallness of some of the double rooms. I would suggest your writing back and asking again for confirmation that for the price mentioned you would be getting one of their larger rooms, or at least ask the difference between the room you get at your rate, and other rooms with other rates.<BR><BR>IMO the Flora has an unbeatable location unless someone definitely does not want to be located near San Marco.<BR>I had a garden-facing room and did not have any noise from neighbors. My bathroom was small. The only thing I did hear early in the morning was some tinkling of glassware and silverware because in fine weather breakfast is served in the courtyard.<BR><BR>I found that the hotel provided all services, including laundry and dry cleaning upon request, and of course for an additional charge. I thought everything about the hotel was charming.<BR>I'm sorry Jean had a bad experience, but I think it's fair to say that the majority of its guests like the Flora, based on reviews here and elsewhere.<BR><BR>I would be surprised to hear that rooms at the Violino are considerably larger, just because small hotels generally have small rooms.<BR><BR>You might want to look at comments on both hotels also at fodors.com in the Rants and Rave section.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 06:57 AM

I might add, that the breakfast at the Flora was strictly rolls, jam and coffee, thought nicely served. I have read that the Violino d'Oro has a nice buffet breakfast.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 09:11 AM

stayed at the Flora last spring. loved it. i also requested a large room and remember paying over 200. upon arrival, we were given a roon the size of a closet. i complained. we had to spend one night there, but the next night we were moved to a huge room overlooking the breakfast courtyard. don't remember any noise until breakfast started. wonderful view of the rooftops of venice. we were lucky as the weather cooperated and we enjoyed delightful breakfasts in the courtyard. as in many hotels in europe, the opinion of the hotel can vary from room to room. upon arrival if the room is not what i had anticipated, i will tell the manager and usually am moved to a nicer room. &quot;the squeaky wheel......&quot;
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 10:02 AM

Neecee I haven't stayed at either of these, but after reading posts on Venice for months, I can tell you there are Fodorites who have loved both and those who have had bad experiences at both. The complaints (at both places) were either noise related problems(from outside or other rooms) or rooms and/or bathrooms that were too small, particularly at the Flora. Room size is an issue in Venice &amp; there can be wide variances in every hotel, even the 4 stars. Our friends stayed at the Saturnia which is 4* &amp; said our room at the Accademia (3*) was nicer &amp; bigger than theirs. Others have stayed at the Saturnia &amp; loved it.<BR>I don't remember seeing the Flora, I think because it's down an alley. The Violino D'Oro is IMO in a great spot near San Marco but not too near.<BR><BR>I think what Fodorites need to do is start taking note of ROOM NUMBERS, both good &amp; bad so we can pass info on to others.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses.<BR><BR>I did write Flora and ask for specific rooms, only to be told they were taken.<BR><BR>I then asked for reassurance that our room would not be one of the smaller ones. They then wrote back that we would be getting one of the larger rooms,overlooking the garden.<BR><BR>I just hope that if we do choose this hotel, they mean what they say. I would hate to arrive there only to be deceived.