Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Farnese in Rome? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-farnese-in-rome-106053/)

Len Feb 14th, 2001 12:36 PM

Hotel Farnese in Rome?

I am going to Rome May 3rd through May 7th with My sister and my Mother and I booked us rooms at Hotel Farnese. I heard really good things about it, but I am nervous because I have never stayed there before. Has anyone else stayed there and your opinions? Thanks.

nancy Feb 14th, 2001 04:14 PM

Can't give you any personal info, but since no one else has responded... <BR>This info is from, <BR>the book Gambero Rosso,Rome, which is published by a italian company (they have a website also) and was recommended by a travel agent and is sold in stores in the states. <BR>The book rates your hotel as a 4 star. and they also give it 2 keys out of 3 (very comfortable) and a Red Heart, which means it has "special charms", and which they do not bestowe lightly, only a dozen hotels receiving one. <BR>The staff is "polite and courteous" and the hotel "pays attention to details" <BR>It is in the Prati section of Rome, which is not directly "downtown" but is also not far from sites, etc. and the hotel site is in a "quiet position" and has "noiseless rooms" <BR>I think you will be fine , although what one person finds attractive, someone else might not! <BR>Why don't you post your opinion when you return, for other travelers? <BR>Have a fun trip!

Len Feb 15th, 2001 07:10 AM

Thanks sooo much for the info. Do you recomend I stay downtown versus here. They said that the terraces at Farnese overlook teh Vatican. I would appreciate your opinion. Thanks for your help

nancy Feb 15th, 2001 10:13 AM

Len, <BR>I can't really answer as we haven't been(going this june) <BR>The opinion on this forum does seem to be, <BR>The more central, the better. <BR>We are going to be in the Campo de' Fiori area because of our young children. <BR>But, I really don't know how hard it is to get around, how mobile your mom is. <BR>Try posting a thread asking for advice about central location vs. the Prati/ Vatican area. <BR>You do not have to cancel your Farnese reservations for a while now, so you can keep them , while you decide. <BR>But, do you want to be closeby to the Forum, the Colosseum,Trevi Fountain, etc? <BR>I think where you are, you are close to the Villa Borghese and it's museum. <BR> <BR>Some 3- 4 star, 2 key, (with red hearts) hotels centrally located are (from Gambero Rosso, Rome); <BR>1-Del Sole Al Pantheon-3- in P. della Rotonda <BR>2-Duca d' Alba, Near the colosseum and Forum. <BR>3- Due Torri, Campo Marzio <BR>4-Fontanella Borghese, same area, same managemant as #3. <BR>5- Regno, Pantheon area <BR>Most of these can be found on the www.venere.it site, which also allows you to see location on a map. <BR>Gambero Rosso does say that there is a Metro stop close by to the Farnese. <BR>But, do try posting for location, those who have been can help you. <BR>good luck <BR>

Len Feb 15th, 2001 09:47 PM

Thank you soooo much. Your advice is incredibly helpful. I am keeping my reservations for now at Farnese, but have also put a room on hold at The Raphael. Has anyone ever stayed here it was also recommended highly and is in Old Rome. Much more central. Thanks again.

nancy Feb 16th, 2001 07:08 AM

This hotel not in Gambero Rosso, but all the other books think highly of it. <BR>I also "topped" 4 posts for you. <BR>2 by the title of the hotel, <BR>1 on hotel locations, and 1 titled, wow hotel in Rome. <BR>I did this around 11 am, so you may have to scroll back to that time to find them. <BR>Good luck, I am sure you will all have a great time! <BR>After all, you will be in Rome :) <BR>

Len Feb 16th, 2001 08:51 AM

Thanks Nancy you've been great. Is there any other hotels right in the center of it all that are around $200 a night that anyone may reccomend?